Bakhtiari ticked off !

D

Deleted member 6794

With two stiffs with zero mobility like Manning and Brady winning SB's in their late 30's I'm not worried about it.

Brady and Manning have been primary pocket passers for their entire careers though while Rodgers might have to adjust to not being as mobile late in his.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly believe Rodgers is capable of performing at an elite level for another several seasons.
Oh, I believe that too. But I said that his prime was now, or that he was slightly past it. I don't think either of those opinions are mutually exclusive.

That last Super Bowl Manning won, he was carried to it. Do you see Thompson putting a team around Rodgers that would carry him to a Super Bowl win? Well, I guess Thompson will likely be gone by the time Rodgers hits that age.

I just think we have Rodgers now, he's not getting any younger, take advantage of it while we have him. But I know it's harder to put the pieces around him in the NFL than it is in the NBA, for instance. I think TT took a step in the right direction this offseason, but he's probably going to need another year of it to get the defense in order. And even then, I'm going to have to see it to believe it. The combination of TT and Capers seems to be such a horrible mismatch, even though the defense has been good a couple of years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like he said that he was so ticked off that he personally is going to throw the team on his back and carry it to a Super Bowl win. He said that "we, collectively" have to do more. That could well include the administration and coaches. If nothing else, it's nice to hear that a player feels as frustrated as some of the fans.

I agree that its nice to hear and I am not doubting his sincerity. At the very least it shows he is smart enough to know the right things to say.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have Kept the Packers from winning more SB's. Let's just be honest here..the. Inability to stop people or close Games has been a major issue in the playoffs.

Exactly, and in my opinion "the Packers" means everyone from Thompson on down. There is plenty of blame to go around. Thompson put those players on the roster and McCarthy put them in the game but plenty of them have simply messed up when the time came. Its easy to say "Ted hasn't given us the right players" or "Players gotta make plays" and all are true to some extent. Its a team game, teams win and teams lose. Any one player can make an impact on any one play but for a successful season it takes the whole team. Lets see, did I miss any cliches there. I think I hit all the major ones.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With two stiffs with zero mobility like Manning and Brady winning SB's in their late 30's I'm not worried about it.

I agree but I think you have to admit Manning and Brady probably had better teams around them than the Packers have right now. Manning with his defense for sure. I'm not worried about Rodgers being able to get the job done even if he loses a bit of mobility, I'm worried that the rest of the team may not be up to the task if they are called on to do a bit more

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh, I believe that too. But I said that his prime was now, or that he was slightly past it. I don't think either of those opinions are mutually exclusive.

That last Super Bowl Manning won, he was carried to it. Do you see Thompson putting a team around Rodgers that would carry him to a Super Bowl win? Well, I guess Thompson will likely be gone by the time Rodgers hits that age.

I just think we have Rodgers now, he's not getting any younger, take advantage of it while we have him. But I know it's harder to put the pieces around him in the NFL than it is in the NBA, for instance. I think TT took a step in the right direction this offseason, but he's probably going to need another year of it to get the defense in order. And even then, I'm going to have to see it to believe it. The combination of TT and Capers seems to be such a horrible mismatch, even though the defense has been good a couple of years.

I agree that Thompson hasn't done enough to surround Rodgers with sufficient talent to win another Super Bowl.

I don't believe that Rodgers is already past his prime though which was the point of my previous post. It's possible he will have to adjust his style of play once he isn't that mobile anymore though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson hasn't done any less than New England in a major way. It's that Bill Belichik is one of the greatest coaches of all times and gets more out of mediocre players than our coaching staff is able to do. When our mediocre players stepped up in 2010, we won a Super Bowl. When they don't, we lose badly against the Falcons in the NFCCG.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but I think you have to admit Manning and Brady probably had better teams around them than the Packers have right now. Manning with his defense for sure. I'm not worried about Rodgers being able to get the job done even if he loses a bit of mobility, I'm worried that the rest of the team may not be up to the task if they are called on to do a bit more

We can both agree on that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady and Manning have been primary pocket passers for their entire careers though while Rodgers might have to adjust to not being as mobile late in his.

I think a huge misconception about Aaron Rodgers is he's not an elite passer from the pocket. He moves outside the pocket when he has to ...I doubt it would be difficult for the most accurate qb in NFL history to adjust to having to stay in the pocket more. Having an good oline helps as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson hasn't done any less than New England in a major way.

Aside of using free agency and trades to address obvious positions of need.

I think a huge misconception about Aaron Rodgers is he's not an elite passer from the pocket. He moves outside the pocket when he has to ...I doubt it would be difficult for the most accurate qb in NFL history to adjust to having to stay in the pocket more. Having an good oline helps as well.

While Rodgers is the most efficient quarterback in NFL history he's not the most accurate though. I agree that he's still an elite passer in the pocket but making plays outside of it is a huge part of his success.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
El guapo exactly nailed it up above. The difference is largely Belichek vs McCarthy

Does BB blow the NFCCG against the SheHawks?

The Patriots won the Super Bowl and then made GREAT moves to make their team BETTER!!

But when it comes to coaching there's BB and everybody else. I'm not so certain MM is even towards the top of the next echelon

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is up there for sure. You can't be this consistently good without a good coach. MM has even done well against Belichik head to head. He gone blown out as a rookie coach, but then almost beat Belichik in NE with a backup QB, then beat him in a great game at Lambeau. People also talk about how the Packers lucked into Rodgers. There were more factors than that and MM is one of them. He turned Favre from a joke back into top form. He then coached Rodgers (that many teams passed up) into a better player than Alex Smith. He's also developed some quality backup QBs behind Rodgers. For sure he's got to get better in areas but he's still a high quality coach.

D

Deleted member 6794

El guapo exactly nailed it up above. The difference is largely Belichek vs McCarthy

Does BB blow the NFCCG against the SheHawks?

The Patriots won the Super Bowl and then made GREAT moves to make their team BETTER!!

But when it comes to coaching there's BB and everybody else. I'm not so certain MM is even towards the top of the next echelon

I agree that Belichick is without a doubt the best coach in the league but fans occasionally have a short memory when it comes to evaluating other teams.

BB blew the 2015 AFCCG though, going for it and getting stopped twice on fourth down within the Broncos 15-yard line in the last six minutes of that game instead of kicking field goals because he didn't trust his defense to get the ball back, ending up losing by two points.

MM is up there for sure. You can't be this consistently good without a good coach. MM has even done well against Belichik head to head. He gone blown out as a rookie coach, but then almost beat Belichik in NE with a backup QB, then beat him in a great game at Lambeau. People also talk about how the Packers lucked into Rodgers. There were more factors than that and MM is one of them. He turned Favre from a joke back into top form. He then coached Rodgers (that many teams passed up) into a better player than Alex Smith. He's also developed some quality backup QBs behind Rodgers. For sure he's got to get better in areas but he's still a high quality coach.

In addition McCarthy might also be responsible that Rodgers ended up in Green Bay as he was the Niners offensive coordinator at the time they selected Alex Smith over #12 with the first overall pick.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson hasn't done any less than New England in a major way. It's that Bill Belichik is one of the greatest coaches of all times
Belichick is one of the greatest coaches ever, no question. But I think you might be underestimating his skills as a GM a bit. He's sharp as a tack, and usually one step ahead of the rest of the league. He's utilized all avenues of getting players and stayed out of cap trouble. I can't imagine Belichick being fed players by Ted Thompson, he'd either be pulling his hair out or be up there screaming at him every day. It helps a lot that as a GM, he can give himself the players that he wants as a coach.

McCarthy is a good coach. He doesn't have Belichick's acumen on the defensive side of the ball, obviously. But he's a good offensive coach. The thing I like about McCarthy is that he learns from his mistakes. Slowly, maybe too slowly, but he does learn.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick is one of the greatest coaches ever, no question. But I think you might be underestimating his skills as a GM a bit. He's sharp as a tack, and usually one step ahead of the rest of the league. He's utilized all avenues of getting players and stayed out of cap trouble. I can't imagine Belichick being fed players by Ted Thompson, he'd either be pulling his hair out or be up there screaming at him every day. It helps a lot that as a GM, he can give himself the players that he wants as a coach.

McCarthy is a good coach. He doesn't have Belichick's acumen on the defensive side of the ball, obviously. But he's a good offensive coach. The thing I like about McCarthy is that he learns from his mistakes. Slowly, maybe too slowly, but he does learn.

That last sentence is exactly why he has just one SB under his belt. "To slow" to learn from his mistakes...Capers still being on staff is the most obvious.

Members online

Latest posts