The New Look Badgers - 2023

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have the Badgers ever offered a 5 star recruit or even more important, landed one? Seems like many of the 4 star recruits that have come to play for the Badgers, were Wisconsin natives. Seeing Fickell and company having very early success outside of the State, is a very good sign.

Did a little digging, before posting.

Bart Houston is possibly the most-hyped quarterback recruit to ever commit to Wisconsin, but he was a 4 star. Mertz was pretty hyped too.

Josh Oglesby, a Wisconsin native and promising OT, was the only 5 star I could find that played for the Badgers. Unfortunately, his career was marred by knee injuries.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have the Badgers ever offered a 5 star recruit or even more important, landed one? Seems like many of the 4 star recruits that have come to play for the Badgers, were Wisconsin natives. Seeing Fickell and company having very early success outside of the State, is a very good sign.

Did a little digging, before posting.

Bart Houston is possibly the most-hyped quarterback recruit to ever commit to Wisconsin, but he was a 4 star. Mertz was pretty hyped too.

Josh Oglesby, a Wisconsin native and promising OT, was the only 5 star I could find that played for the Badgers. Unfortunately, his career was marred by knee injuries.
Interesting question. I know they made some offers, not much results, if any. Even Wisconsin kids who were 5 star walked away, and played elsewhere. I think that's about to change dramatically.

These guys are going to turn over every rock, and sit on doorsteps until they get the response they want. But, what's most exciting, is that they aren't going to go out there with the intent of getting bodies. They're going for talent that fits the system. That's real recruiting.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@longtimefan

Any chance you would merge this thread (once discussion turned to Fickell and the 2023 team) with the 2023 thread that I created.

Thanks

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Badgers landed a 4 star TE for 2024.

"currently ranked as the fourth-best tight end in the 2024 class according to the ESPN 300"

I was just going to post this. He is the highest TE recruit ever landed for UW.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another 3 star recruit. Man he's huge! Originally committed to the Badgers, but uncommitted after Chryst was fired. Seems he wasn't too Fickelled....he recommited!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longo's offense thrives on TEs in both the blocking and receiving roles. People make the mistake of believing it's an all out "throw the ball deep" offense that lives or dies on the pass. Nothing could be further from the truth. The way Longo will bring it is in a combination of RPO packages that will depend on what the QB sees across the line of scrimmage from him just before the snap. There could be several options which he can choose, based on what happens when they put someone in motion, or as the defense is adjusting.

What we will no longer see is 8-men in the box to stop the Badgers from running. That would be pure defensive suicide. The Badgers will have at least a 4th optional receiver on the field, and not enough coverage left for all of them. With the more mobile QBs, and the larger number of solid receivers, the passing game will reach new heights. If the defense does drop back, into a more pass protection mode, we're going to see our RBs rip off chunks of yardage, and we could see two solid 1,000 yard RBs in the same year.

On defense? I expect to see a similar consistency to what we saw with Jim Leonhard. The biggest difference will be that there should be less pressure on them to hold the opposition totally in check, because our offense will be much more productive. But, the defense itself might, or might not change too much, depending on what Tressel sees as the level of talent he has available. From a quick look, on paper, the resume of who he has looks fairly good, but there are still questions that need to be answered.

I'm anxious to hear, and see, information from spring practice. It could turn the excitement volume about the future up a heckuva lot!

Krabs

Reaction score
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hopefully Fickell and his staff can take this program to a place that it has never been, having realistic chances at winning the Big10 and National titles. First, lets start seeing OSU, Michigan and PSU recruits, commit to the Badgers!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Note to @longtimefan : Any chance you could change the title of this thread to "The New Look Badgers - 2023". Might attract more people to read and chime in. Thanks

SAVE THE DATE!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need to find a way to stream the spring game. I want to see the early indications of where this team is heading. It's going to be a precursor of what there is going to be when they break camp in the fall. Exciting times ahead, no doubt about it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I need to find a way to stream the spring game. I want to see the early indications of where this team is heading. It's going to be a precursor of what there is going to be when they break camp in the fall. Exciting times ahead, no doubt about it.
I know a few years back BTN+ carried it, but who knows now. The Badgers might want $1 Billion to cover it and only FOX would pay that kind of money. :roflmao:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a few years back BTN+ carried it, but who knows now. The Badgers might want $1 Billion to cover it and only FOX would pay that kind of money. :roflmao:

Keep an eye on what's happening in regards to it. I want to watch it. I do streaming, so I can usually tap into a lot of what's happening.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After the Graham Mertz 1st impression (that turned out to be the peak), I need to temper my 1st impression enthusiasm...

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Graham Mertz 1st impression (that turned out to be the peak), I need to temper my 1st impression enthusiasm...
What I'm looking to see is how they roll out their new passing game to augment the run. It may be a bit sloppy in the spring, but we'll see some of how they find which players fit into each package on the field. It should be interesting, on both sides of the ball.

Krabs

Reaction score
What I'm looking to see is how they roll out their new passing game to augment the run. It may be a bit sloppy in the spring, but we'll see some of how they find which players fit into each package on the field. It should be interesting, on both sides of the ball.
The interesting thing about the offense is that it is called "air raid". However, the new offensive coordinator ran the ball 60% of the time. The run isn't going away by any means.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The interesting thing about the offense is that it is called "air raid". However, the new offensive coordinator ran the ball 60% of the time. The run isn't going away by any means.
Whatever they do, it has to be better than dropping Mertz back to pass, in what was usually an obvious passing down.

I think we are already seeing the rewards paying off, just in WR's and TE's wanting to come and play for Fickell and that kind of offense. As we all are hoping, if it translates to a solid offense, diverse offense, it will be a fun team to watch. I have a feeling that Braelon Allen and the other RB's are kind of looking forward to defenses not loading up the box, just to stop the run game.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Allen and other RB's may see fewer attempts, but I think that is a good thing. Chryst seemed content to rotate 2-3 RB's each game, to share the load of a run first offense. I would prefer seeing the top back (Allen for now) out there for more snaps and make the defense respect both the run and the pass.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run/pass ratio:
'22 was 60.6% run, 39.4% pass. 26.31 points/game avg.
'21 was 65.4% run, 34.6% pass. 25.4 ppg

Maybe keeping a similar run/pass ratio but having a more productive passing game will lead to more offensive scores?

Members online

Latest posts