Badger Defense, is it legit?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Badgers are now ranked #6 in the latest FBS poll and what a defense they have! DC Jim Leonhard deserves a ton of credit, as do some pretty good players.

Some may still be questioning whether the Badger Defense is legit this year, but its hard to argue against these numbers after 6 games.

FBS Rankings:

Total defense: No. 1

Rush defense: No. 1
Pass defense: No. 1
Scoring defense: No. 1
Yards per play allowed: No. 1
Pass efficiency defense: No. 1
Third-down defense: No. 1
Defensive TD's: No. 2
1st Down Defense: No. 2
Red Zone Defense: No. 2
Sacks: 7

I will add some more:
  • Only given up 29 points.
  • Defense has scored 4 TD's
  • Shutouts: 4

Also, I am not going to try to break out the numbers, but some of the scores and yardage against the Badgers defense, happened against the backups. Except maybe against Northwestern, when the game was still in question. Otherwise, in the other 5 games, most of the starters have been pulled at some point in the second half.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Badgers are now ranked #6 in the latest FBS poll and what a defense they have! DC Jim Leonhard deserves a ton of credit, as do some pretty good players.

Some may still be questioning whether the Badger Defense is legit this year, but its hard to argue against these numbers after 6 games.

FBS Rankings:

Total defense: No. 1

Rush defense: No. 1
Pass defense: No. 1
Scoring defense: No. 1
Yards per play allowed: No. 1
Pass efficiency defense: No. 1
Third-down defense: No. 1
Defensive TD's: No. 2
1st Down Defense: No. 2
Red Zone Defense: No. 2
Sacks: 7

I will add some more:
  • Only given up 29 points.
  • Defense has scored 4 TD's
  • Shutouts: 4

Also, I am not going to try to break out the numbers, but some of the scores and yardage against the Badgers defense, happened against the backups. Except maybe against Northwestern, when the game was still in question. Otherwise, in the other 5 games, most of the starters have been pulled at some point in the second half.
Definitely top 5 imo. I expect they will have problems with Ohio State. What they have done so far is undeniably superb. As close to perfect in performance and execution as I’ve ever seen. The numbers are absolutely astounding.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not after today. The D didn't look very good and the OL was dreadful. They couldn't run block worth a damn. You don't lose to a 30.5 dog even on the road. WI will be 2 games behind MN in the BIG 10 West after they get smoked by Ohio State next week. :(

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not after today. The D didn't look very good and the OL was dreadful. They couldn't run block worth a damn. You don't lose to a 30.5 dog even on the road. WI will be 2 games behind MN in the BIG 10 West after they get smoked by Ohio State next week. :(
Imo, the O-Line is the weakest unit on the team.

Reaction score
I didn’t watch the game and it certainly sucks they lost in such a big upset. But the Badgers D didn’t seem to give up very many points. At least not for a college game. At least on the face it would appear it was the O who fell short.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn’t watch the game and it certainly sucks they lost in such a big upset. But the Badgers D didn’t seem to give up very many points. At least not for a college game. At least on the face it would appear it was the O who fell short.

Both sides of the ball lost this game. It was really a Cluster F*ck of bad plays and things just going wrong. Badgers had so many chances to put the game on ice and they just kept finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

Was one of the more painful losses I have watched in awhile. The best team did not win that game, but the best team today, prevailed.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Wow...good thing Illinois brought us back to earth last week. The fall isn't as big this week

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even uglier for me. Half my family lives in Ohio and are HUGE Buckeye fans. I was ready to go there for the game, but after last weeks loss, decided that the Badgers weren't as good as I thought and a slaughter was going to happen at the Shoe. Glad I listened to my gut, sitting in that rain, watching this sh*t show today would have been miserable. At least my Buckeye family has been lighting up my texts most of the day!

O......F.......U!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why people need to quit thinking everyone just doesn’t respect WI whenever they’re winning.

They never show well against the real power teams. You can only beat up on 2 and 3 tier teams for so long.

We were completely overmatched at every position today.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, whomever the OP of this thread was is an idiot! What the hell was he thinking jinxing us like that? :coffee:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you asked a question, perfectly acceptable :)

Asked and I think pretty well answered today.

I will say, the Badgers haven't really looked all that great over the last 2 games and even a bit shaky against Northwestern. However, take nothing away from the Buckeyes, that team is loaded once again! Hard to compete against a College team that is so stacked with pre-NFL talent.

Chase Young just put himself in the conversation for top 3 pick in the draft as well as an outside shot at the Heisman. To me, he was more impressive today than I remember either Bosa being.

On the flip side, Jonathan Taylor may have slid down quite a few draft boards, not being able to get it done against a good team like OSU. JK Dobbins looked much better of the 2, at least today.

Interesting that Dobbins and Young both wear #2 for the Buckeyes. As an announcer so aptly pointed out, "The Buckeyes Pair of Deuces were wild today."

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asked and I think pretty well answered today.

I will say, the Badgers haven't really looked all that great over the last 2 games and even a bit shaky against Northwestern. However, take nothing away from the Buckeyes, that team is loaded once again! Hard to compete against a College team that is so stacked with pre-NFL talent.

Chase Young just put himself in the conversation for top 3 pick in the draft as well as an outside shot at the Heisman. To me, he was more impressive today than I remember either Bosa being.

On the flip side, Jonathan Taylor may have slid down quite a few draft boards, not being able to get it done against a good team like OSU. JK Dobbins looked much better of the 2, at least today.

Interesting that Dobbins and Young both wear #2 for the Buckeyes. As an announcer so aptly pointed out, "The Buckeyes Pair of Deuces were wild today."

OS is just so much better than all but 2/3 collegiate teams in the nation, let alone the Big Ten. Nobody in this conference is gonna beat them this year. Hell, that team could give the worst team in the NFL fits. Young is very impressive. He should be a terror on Sundays.

Taylor had no place to run and when he tried to run outside the tackles he was toast. I don't care how good a RB you are. If your line can't open holes for you you aren't going anywhere. Coan had no time to throw and was under duress all afternoon. It really wasn't much of a contest. Wisconsin's defense is very good but they don't have the athletes that Ohio State does. This isn't gonna change any time soon either. We will always be the bridesmaid in this conference if we can't recruit like Ohio and Penn State does.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Chance to redeem yourself. What is your prediction on the Pack v. Chiefs?

JA gets a pick 6 tonight, Smith Brothers pick up 2 sacks each, Rashad Gary gets a strip sack....Packers keep rolling ....31-17.

What? I need another defense to pump up! :coffee:

Members online

Latest posts