Bad news on Harris

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The JS is reporting that Harris is considering staying out of TC to protest his contract. Here we go again. I'm barely over the Walker debacle and that was after I finally got over the McKensie debacle. I REALLY don't need another. But I suppose TT feels the same way. This time I vote to trade him immediately! There must be some team out there who needs a solid but aging CB, and we have soft areas on our team. His contract is team-friendly. We don't need ANOTHER cancer affecting our team. But do it SOON!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what KFFL has posted.

Packers | Harris may not report for training camp
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:58:04 -0700

Rob Reischel, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers CB Al Harris said Tuesday night, June 20, that he might not report for the start of training camp July 28. "It's not 100%, that's for sure," Harris said from his home in Coral Springs, Fla. "I'd like to come and do my job, but everyone's got to be fair, too. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out." His comments were in direct contrast to those made last month by both him and his agent, Jack Bechta. Harris is unhappy with the six-year, $18.635 million contract extension he signed in September 2004. Harris is reportedly upset with the contract the Packers signed DE Aaron Kampman to this offseason. Harris would like roughly $5 million in a two-tiered roster bonus this season. He'd also like a Pro Bowl incentive of up to $1.5 million added to his current deal.

I don't understand why these guys sign these contracts if they have no plan on honoring them.
Trade him now and get what you can.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
I don't understand why these guys sign these contracts if they have no plan on honoring them.
Trade him now and get what you can.

yeah but he signed that so loooooong ago. you can't expect him to honor a contract from way back in 2004!

he knows they're not going to renegotiate this early, and he's not even firm on commiting to a holdout for Training Camp for god sake. my guess is he's laying the groundwork for next season, when his gloves will come off and he will transform into an irate, cancerous, malcontent if they don't meet him at the bargaining table.

he hasn't actually done anything wrong yet though, i'll reserve my worry until this threat materializes.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so sick of these MFers greed and their whole "respect" ********. Let the ****** sit..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al's getting older and knows his big paydays are behind him. I'd say he is a top 15 corner right now in this league and if he is being paid less than market value for his position and status, I have no problem with the Packers paying him the correct value.

My problem lies with how a player presents himself in negotiations with the team. If Al handles himself like McKenzie and Walker, I would be offended and then take a negative attitude toward the whole situation.

As of right now, I have no problem with this, and I agree with Arrow - he is laying the groundwork for next year.

I think the Packers still have cap money, and maybe they will rework Al's contract in December. Maybe we should all wait a while before running him out of town. I still remember the guy intercepting Hasselback for a walk off touchdown in overtime of a playoff game. Players like that deserve a little more consideration.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks as if what Harris is doing is going to be the mode of operation in Green Bay! A player signs a contract and then two years later he decides that contract isn't enough so he becomes a malcontent. And please let's not hear that Harris isn't like that. He blew off the entire OTA session as did his buddy on the other side, Woodson. It's looking to me that Woodson is another piece of work. I'm not sure what the answers are, but as long as there is a salary cap someone on your team is worthy of a bigger contract can't have it. If the Packers renogotiate with Harris, guess what happens? That's right, the line will get even longer. Look what has happened with McKenzie, Walker and Harris. Who is next? Ted Thompson I wouldn't want your job for anything.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ghosts the Pack invoke.

Al had some bad role models in this issue. :evil:

I hope arrow is right (okay, he's a moderator so he IS right :wink: :lol: ).

BTW the Packers aren't the only team in NFC North with disgruntled players. Take a look

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greedy suckers. Like they can't LIVE on the millions they make. It's a joke. Someone is making MORE money then him! Oh, the TRAVESTY!!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris has absolutely NO NO NO NO leverage. He has, I believe 4 more years left on his contract. A contract, that I believe calls for his returning and huge chunk of his signing bonus if he misses even one day of camp.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I can't believe a lot of you guys actually wat us to trade him. He has not done anything yet and he has been one of the packers best defenders in recent years

I don't want him traded. But i CAN see why people are getting sick and tired of this "me first" attitude these spoiled millionaires have. I think thats why people yell "trade him!" It's pure frustration.
I would be all for incentive laden contracts. THEN they would get extra for performing, not just showing up.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
cheesey said:
thetombradyhater said:
I can't believe a lot of you guys actually wat us to trade him. He has not done anything yet and he has been one of the packers best defenders in recent years

I don't want him traded. But i CAN see why people are getting sick and tired of this "me first" attitude these spoiled millionaires have. I think thats why people yell "trade him!" It's pure frustration.
I would be all for incentive laden contracts. THEN they would get extra for performing, not just showing up.

I am getting tired of it but I am not just gooing to come out and say "Trade his @$$" like Z2C

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what ProFootballTalk has to say about it. They don't seem to think he has much leverage as well.

HARRIS MIGHT SKIP CAMP

The Packers could be facing their second holdout in three seasons by a cornerback with long-*** hair.

In 2004, it was Mike McKenzie who skipped all offseason sessions, missed training camp, and finally reported early in the regular season. He eventually was traded to the Saints.

That same year, cornerback Al Harris signed a new six-year contract. Two seasons in, he wants more.

And although his agent previously has said that Harris, who has been absent for voluntary offseason workouts, will report for training camp, Harris is now signing a different tune.

"It's not 100%, that's for sure," Harris said, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "I'd like to come and do my job, but everyone's got to be fair, too. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

"I've got to do what's best for me and my family," Harris added. "And now we're on the clock. I'm not getting any younger, so I have to take a business approach to it." (Harris will be 32 on December 7.)

Under his current deal, Harris received $7 million in bonuses. His base salaries over the remainder of the contract are $1.5 million in 2006, $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in 2008 and $3 million in 2009.

Now, he regrets the decision to commit himself to those numbers.

"I should have waited to see what the market dictated," he told the Journal-Sentinel. "But I didn't want to leave Green Bay and there's a lot of times you see guys price themselves right out of the league."

The fact that the Packers gave cornerback Charles Woodson a big-money deal probably has had a role in the current stance of the team's former No. 1 cover man. But, as a practical matter, Harris has little leverage. He's under contract for four more seasons, and he potentially faces a significant bonus forfeiture if he misses even one training camp practice -- depending on the specific language of his contract and whether and to what extent new CBA restrictions apply retroactively. (If Harris doesn't think that could happen to him, he should give his former teammate Mike McKenzie a call.)

So when Harris rolls out current king of the hackneyed cliche' -- "It is what it is" -- Harris needs to be sure he understands what the "is" really "is" before he "is" in position to be paying back a lot of money that already "is" in his bank account.

And if that happens, it won't be long before Mrs. Harris "is" knee deep in Al's ***.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
cheesey said:
thetombradyhater said:

I am getting tired of it but I am not just gooing to come out and say "Trade his @$$" like Z2C

I don't expect everyone to be intelligent :p (jus a joke)

About trading him. I am not sure if I'd trade him lickity split, but I'd definetely have a chat with him and see if anyone wants a DB in his 30's and what I could get for him.

I don't think Al is being a complete ******* about this. I haven't heard him whining about his contract or pouting on tv about how he needs more millions to feed his family.

I don't know his contract outline, but he may be correct in he needs a raise. Hopefully he shows up for camp and the games and discuss's this with Ted behind closed doors.

I really believe if these guys would talk to management without letting it go public that would get them a lot farther. I think management would be more inclined to re doing a contract if they didn't go public with it first.

Make sense or am I going loopy again?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because of Mike Mckenzie, we ended up with Ahmad Carrol and Joey Thomas, Sherman was forced to address the cb position in the draft, we all know what happened, Carroll was thrown to the wolves as a rookie and is still recovering, Joey Thomas is no longer in football.

That is why I say trade Harris now, if he pulls a Mckenzie he will be of no help to The Packers, at least if a trade is made TT can use the pick next year and knows he needs to pick up another veteran cb before training camp starts.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I...don't believe this ****.

It was JUST last month where he and his agent said they weren't going to do this.

Ugh....greedy SOBs.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When are these guys going to get it that grabbing the front office by their suits and slamming them against the wall is NOT the way to get it done. They cannot give in to this or the cancer grows.

Sources say it's not even the Woodson deal that has him upset it's the guaranteed money in Kampman's contract. He's basically saying "well, the money's there but I have to EARN it thru incentives and that's not fair".

I will say that Kampman is one of those guys that will go out there and prove he's worth it and earn his money. He is not the kind of guy that will lay back now that the check is in the mail.

Some guys need more incentive laden contracts to motivate them to do what they should be doing in the first place which is doing all that it takes to be the best they can be.

Same old story of life. There are those that go out and earn it and those that want it handed to them. Harris himself acknowledged that it was his "mistake" for not looking for more money back in '04.

Of course in todays world way to many want others to pay for their own mistakes.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I don't mind giving Al a raise but the problem is he is going to expect Woodson type money now and we can't give that to him. If he want like 1 million or so a year thast understandable but the problem is athletes always want MORE.
What these players don't understand is that when you become Packer family, doors after football open up. Why would a player alienate himself away from that? Als a legitimate stand up Packer, and I hope he really thinks this through before pissing off Packer nation.

Reaction score
I'm told that Harris wants some bonus coin this year, a la Richard Seymore in New England last year. Then he wants to discuss a new contract at the end of this season.

I'm guessing they will talk about a contract extension next year with huge signing bonus, so Harris is fairly compensated up front. This way the Packers save some face, and Harris gets his moeny.

Interesting warhawk, something I'll have to check up on.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How stupid can one be. I understand he wants the money but look at the history of the Packers front office. They don't give out money to be people who don't show up for work and whine about it. They give it to guys like Driver. If Harris reports and keeps his kool, he'll probably get a new deal. If he doesn't, then he'll report mid way through and be traded next off season or released. That's just how the Packers do things now. Sherman really brought this team into a holdout nightmare and it's carrying over into the TT/MM era. Their first task should be getting some respect back because they clearly got none.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, before anyone hurts their hand patting TT on the back, remember that he has already caved in to Franks, Walker and Driver, chances are he'll continue that trend by also caving in to Harris. I would say let Harris sit if he wants to sit and go after any fines or bonus money they can for him missing camp. But I know it isn't going to happen, Thompson will give him exactly what he wants.

And as to Harris caring about "Packer Family" or "PackerNation", there is only one family he cares anything about and that is his own.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts