Backup QB's

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the first preseason game it looks like the Packers have solid backup QB's in Tolzein, Hunley and possibly Blanchard. I hope none of them ever has to step on the field as a starter. Long live Rodgers !

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the first preseason game it looks like the Packers have solid backup QB's in Tolzein, Hunley and possibly Blanchard. I hope none of them ever has to step on the field as a starter. Long live Rodgers !
Tolzien was impressive. Enough so that we may have won another game or two when Rodgers broke his clavicle had Tolzien been playing as he is now. No one wants to see any backup in a real game, except in mop up. But Packer fans have to feel better than when the options were Seneca Wallace and Vince Young. Flynn ended up channeling Zeke Bratkowski that year, thank the stars! No this is the best GB has been at backup in awhile. Let's hope Tolzien and Hundley continue their early progress.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tolzien was impressive. Enough so that we may have won another game or two when Rodgers broke his clavicle had Tolzien been playing as he is now. No one wants to see any backup in a real game, except in mop up. But Packer fans have to feel better than when the options were Seneca Wallace and Vince Young. Flynn ended up channeling Zeke Bratkowski that year, thank the stars! No this is the best GB has been at backup in awhile. Let's hope Tolzien and Hundley continue their early progress.

Tolzien has progressed nicely over the past two seasons. As he was signed after training camp in 2013 it was unrealsitic to expect him to perform better as a starter only two months later. I think we can all agree that the Packers had a better backup QB during the 2007 season though.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Tolzien established a reputation at SF as the preseason wonder. He always seemed to have a good preseason, but couldn't produce when put into the regular season games. The Niner board used to call him "The High Lord Tolzien" or something like that. I don't know how accurate their assessment is, but it tends to temper my view of the QB during preseason.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed with Tolzien, and happy to see him progress like he has (Yes this coming from the Badger hater ;)). I always thought he was a better option than Flynn but just needed to get more comfortable in the offense. IMO he looked much more calm and under control in the pocket. Very happy with all the backup options we have now.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien has progressed nicely over the past two seasons. As he was signed after training camp in 2013 it was unrealsitic to expect him to perform better as a starter only two months later. I think we can all agree that the Packers had a better backup QB during the 2007 season though.
Yes indeed although it's good young Mr. Rodgers didn't have to get pressed into service too early. I do think he benefitted from his 3 years behind Favre.

Two other questions on the topic of backup QBs. 1. How much signing money did Flynn get out of Seattle before they realized Wilson was the guy? 2. I believe GB traded Aaron Brooks to NO many years ago. What did GB get in that trade? I'm sure it was draft picks. I think Brooks had an unremarkable career before Brees came along. Thanks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed with Tolzien, and happy to see him progress like he has (Yes this coming from the Badger hater ;)).
I'd like to see Tolzien succeed, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hundley take over the no. 2 position next year, maybe even by end of this year. Good arm, very good legs. And this is from a Badger lover.:tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

Two other questions on the topic of backup QBs. 1. How much signing money did Flynn get out of Seattle before they realized Wilson was the guy? 2. I believe GB traded Aaron Brooks to NO many years ago. What did GB get in that trade? I'm sure it was draft picks. I think Brooks had an unremarkable career before Brees came along. Thanks.

Flynn got a $6 million signing bonus from the Seahawks and another $4 million were fully guaranteed in the contract he signed in 2012.

The Packers traded Brooks and TE Lamont Hall to the Saints for LB K.D. Willams and a third-round pick in 2001. The pick was later used to trade up to select WR Robert Ferguson. In hindsight the Saints probably ended up winning the deal.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd like to see Tolzien succeed, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hundley take over the no. 2 position next year, maybe even by end of this year. Good arm, very good legs. And this is from a Badger lover.:tup:
I don't think it'll happen by year-end. I thought the most impressive element of Tolzien's performance was how poised he was in handling the no huddle. I don't think they asked Hundley to do so. Once the season starts, Hundley's reps with anything other than the scout team running opponent's plays will likely reduce to zero, barring injury. I don't think it's reasonable to expect Hundley to match Tolzien's mastery of a large portion of the playbook in that situation. Tolzien is on a one-year deal so we'll get an indication of what they think of Hundley after the season. If they think Hundley is an offseason away from knowing the playbook well enough, they may not re-sign Tolzien. And if Tolzien performs well for the rest of preseason and does well if called upon during the season, he will probably be looking for a multi-year deal, which he may be offered elsewhere.

Members online

Latest posts