Backup QB.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, you were the one who posted “it had nothing to do with being gay” and then “you could convince me it dropped him a round or two” in about the space of four minutes – I just pointed it. No the point is I pointed out something I thought was humorous. Lighten up.

I was being magnanimous. You might want to try it.

P

Paul Glotz

I emphatically agree with 3. My argument: it is a position of exponential importance. We can't afford to make the same mistake twice. At the very least you keep Scott on the practice squad. And I might add with 1 more season he could very well be our #2

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You must have inadvertently used the wrong word – go back and look at post #63 - your reply was anything but magnanimous. Just to help you our here are a couple of definitions of that word: 1. Showing or suggesting a lofty and courageous spirit; 2. Showing or suggesting nobility of feeling and generosity of mind.

P

Paul Glotz

Didn't Tolzien get a chance to play in reg. season games last year and failed?
If so then it should be Rodgers, Flynn, 3rd back up in that order.
It also may be too early to judge on who should stay or go or here or there or anywhere.
It was just one preseason game and in miserable conditions.
Let's see who can do what in a couple more games with no rain.
Tolzien could use a bit more seasoning. But we know his fundamentals are sound. I remember Favre being the same way with the rockets, he had to develop that loft touch pass. Then he became dangerous

D

Deleted member 6794

I emphatically agree with 3. My argument: it is a position of exponential importance. We can't afford to make the same mistake twice. At the very least you keep Scott on the practice squad. And I might add with 1 more season he could very well be our #2

Tolzien isn't practice squad eligible.

P

Paul Glotz

I think Tolzien will outperform 1/2 the backups in the league and he's not even fully prepared. He wasn't even in our roster during preseason last year and he comes in mid season playing rusty albeit., but controlled the game like a full bird Colonel. This year he's brigadier G.

P

Paul Glotz

And I say that humbly. He had no #s to back up that statement professionally. Except, of course, that he was the most accurate QB in the entire 2012 college year.. In the nation. This guy threw a sidewinder last year that made everyone in the sports bar chant "fav rish. fav rish FAv RiSH! He's the real deal. And you copy and paste that

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have inadvertently used the wrong word – go back and look at post #63 - your reply was anything but magnanimous. Just to help you our here are a couple of definitions of that word: 1. Showing or suggesting a lofty and courageous spirit; 2. Showing or suggesting nobility of feeling and generosity of mind.

The word was absolutely used properly.

D

Deleted member 6794

And I say that humbly. He had no #s to back up that statement professionally. Except, of course, that he was the most accurate QB in the entire 2012 college year.. In the nation. This guy threw a sidewinder last year that made everyone in the sports bar chant "fav rish. fav rish FAv RiSH! He's the real deal. And you copy and paste that

Tolzien's last season with the Badgers was in 2010 and he was 2nd in the FCS in completion percentage that year.

P

Paul Glotz

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/270631841.html
Just one preseason game and the first one at that. Also Tolzien went against second stringers and Flynn against the first teamers. Still, in less than ideal conditions isn't it difficult to conclude Tolzien's accuracy is just terrible?
Tolziens company in college;

Quarterback efficiency rating :
Cam Newton. 182%
Andrew luck. 170.2%
Andy Dalton 166.5%
Scott Tolzien 165.9%
Eh Manuel. 153.3%
Colin kaepernick 150.5%
Nick Foles 140.9%
Russel Wilson 127.5%

I'd say that's good company..

H

HardRightEdge

A high college passing efficiency rating is a poor predictor of NFL success. You could throw a dart at a list of the all time top 20 or 50 or 100 and chances are you'd hit a guy who never amounted to much in the NFL. There are quite a few names near the top I suspect never took an NFL snap.

Brady, Brees and Rodgers are not in the Top 250. Peyton Manning is ranked 71.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-rating-player-career.html

Last edited by a moderator:

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't drop 5 rounds because he was gay. That's just absurd. He was never anything but a marginal prospect. Btw, listen to fisher after he drafted him and tell me he didn't draft him BECAUSE he was gay.

Ridiculous. If I was a homophobe, I doubt I'd live in San Francisco. That's the point.

The word was absolutely used properly.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
his combine numbers sucked. that's when he dropped. it had nothing to do with being gay..

Sorry, but this article says he will drop because he announced it..

Interesting article, even states GM's knew he was gay, just didnt think he should have announced it when he did

http://www.si.com/football/2014/02/09/michael-sam-draft-stock

In blunt terms, they project a significant drop in Sam's draft stock, a publicity circus and an NFL locker room culture not prepared to deal with an openly gay player. Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, was projected as a mid- to late-round draft pick prior to his announcement.

All the NFL personnel members interviewed believed that Sam's announcement will cause him to drop in the draft. He was projected between the third and seventh rounds prior to the announcement.

P

Paul Glotz

P

Paul Glotz

Interesting you should say that. Although you can pick many who were not the "complete" package. Everyone i listed has had success in the NFL. Several on that list will be
Arguably be hall of fame material.
I never said this was some magic potion for picking QBs as your implying. It was simply to show Scott Tolzien has the tools necessary to be productive as a backup QB in this league.. At the least

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Keep on diggin away....that hole you're in keeps getting deeper.......you should be in southwest asia any time now.

Jeez......don`t mention Asia ffs ! :cautious::p

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

What parameters are those then Paul ???? :)
He's referring to the link in post #87. My comments in that post require no further elaboration other than to say the top of the list is heavily populated with recently graduated misfit toys.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

He's referring to the link in post #87. My comments in that post require no further elaboration other than to say the top of the list is heavily populated with recently graduated misfit toys.
Not exactly sure he is to be honest HRE :tup: Paul has made a few "out there" remarks to comments I`ve been involved in so far ;). Just a thought of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts