Backup QB.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
before he announced that he was gay, he was ranked as the number 90th pick, after he dropped down to 160th...... all because of a few words he chose to speak. Sad IMO.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
before he announced that he was gay, he was ranked as the number 90th pick, after he dropped down to 160th...... all because of a few words he chose to speak. Sad IMO.

his combine numbers sucked. that's when he dropped. it had nothing to do with being gay. do you seriously think that not a single NFL gm wouldn't draft a gay guy if they could get someone with a 2rd round grade say 2 or 3 rounds later? hell they draft guys with criminal records higher than that. the simple fact he fell to almost being undrafted should tell you all you need to know.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
right from sports Illustrated : si.com

"Before his announcement, Sam had already emerged as a divisive prospect. Some look at his SEC-best 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss and see a high-motor pass rusher who could go as high as the third round".

D

Deleted member 6794

his combine numbers sucked. that's when he dropped. it had nothing to do with being gay. do you seriously think that not a single NFL gm wouldn't draft a gay guy if they could get someone with a 2rd round grade say 2 or 3 rounds later? hell they draft guys with criminal records higher than that. the simple fact he fell to almost being undrafted should tell you all you need to know.

I think it´s pretty naive to think that him being gay had nothing to do with him dropping to the 7th round.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right from sports Illustrated : si.com

"Before his announcement, Sam had already emerged as a divisive prospect. Some look at his SEC-best 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss and see a high-motor pass rusher who could go as high as the third round".

"could go as high" is not saying he's a 3rd round prospect. and once again that was before he sucked at the combine.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it´s pretty naive to think that him being gay had nothing to do with him dropping to the 7th round.

you could convince me it dropped him a round or two. but 4 or 5 rounds? no chance in hell. the nfl is a business. and btw most projections right before the draft had him as a 5th or 6th round draft pick. and 5th or 6th round projected guys don't get drafted ALL THE TIME

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The more you speak, the more you make yourself sound ignornant and non tolerant. Just stop....... if you don't like him because of his announcment, so be it, but you are damn near the verge of a gay basher.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more you speak, the more you make yourself sound ignornant and non tolerant. Just stop....... if you don't like him because of his announcment, so be it, but you are damn near the verge of a gay basher.

You can't be serious. I'm pro gay marriage. I lived in san Francisco for 6 years. Thinking he sucks as a football player has zero to do with his sexuality. Sounds to me like you just want to excuse away his failures because he's gay.

D

Deleted member 6794

you could convince me it dropped him a round or two. but 4 or 5 rounds? no chance in hell. the nfl is a business. and btw most projections right before the draft had him as a 5th or 6th round draft pick. and 5th or 6th round projected guys don't get drafted ALL THE TIME

I agree that he didn´t drop four rounds because of his outing but IMO it did factor into him dropping to the bottom of the seventh round.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Oshkoshpackfan, give him time, he's coming around:
his combine numbers sucked. that's when he dropped. it had nothing to do with being gay...
you could convince me it dropped him a round or two...

No offense at all intended and I have no reason to disbelieve Oski's stated position on gay marriage, but I got a laugh out of his response to the charge of being homophobic: "I lived in san Francisco for 6 years." Kinda like 'One of my best friends is black' as a response to the charge of being racist, only geographically based. ;)

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You can't be serious. I'm pro gay marriage. I lived in san Francisco for 6 years. Thinking he sucks as a football player has zero to do with his sexuality. Sounds to me like you just want to excuse away his failures because he's gay.

Oh !!! I was unaware of that fact. Everything must be ok now, since living in SF makes you good to go :rolleyes:

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oshkoshpackfan, give him time, he's coming around:

No offense at all intended and I have no reason to disbelieve Oski's stated position on gay marriage, but I got a laugh out of his response to the charge of being homophobic: "I lived in san Francisco for 6 years." Kinda like 'One of my best friends is black' as a response to the charge of being racist, only geographically based. ;)

He didn't drop 5 rounds because he was gay. That's just absurd. He was never anything but a marginal prospect. Btw, listen to fisher after he drafted him and tell me he didn't draft him BECAUSE he was gay.

Ridiculous. If I was a homophobe, I doubt I'd live in San Francisco. That's the point.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep on diggin away....that hole you're in keeps getting deeper.......you should be in southwest asia any time now.

Fisher said, "In a world of diversity that we live in, I'm honored to be a part of this."

You'd have to be absolutely crazy to think that he wouldn't have drafted Sam earlier if he thought he was worthy of a higher draft pick

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had he NOT made his coming out announcment, YOU would have to be crazy to think that he would not have been drafted higher.

Not sure what agenda you are pushing, but it has no basis in reality.

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-draft-michael-sam-gay-trades/

For any player whose stock rose so dramatically in just one season of play, the pre-draft process is critical, and Sam’s performance between January and May was underwhelming. His performance at the Senior Bowl — two weeks before he came out — was regarded by scouts at the time as disappointing.

Chase Stuart of Football Perspective put the combine work of each player into statistical context and found that
Sam had the sixth-worst combine performance out of the 268 attendees in Indianapolis

Presupposing that Sam had a fourth-round grade before dropping to that of roughly a sixth-rounder, Nate Silver
estimated last week that his chances of being drafted were about 50-50.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You still have no answer as to why he fell roughly 70 spots JUST AFTER his announcement. It has a lot to do with it......
TONS of other guys had CRAPPY pro-days or combine days or DIDN'T participate in them at all and got drafted higher.

I don't normally come back and give people an "I told ya so, ha ha ha" But I hope Sam kicks *** because I will dig up this thread.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You still have no answer as to why he fell roughly 70 spots JUST AFTER his announcement. It has a lot to do with it......
TONS of other guys had CRAPPY pro-days or combine days or DIDN'T participate in them at all and got drafted higher.

I don't normally come back and give people an "I told ya so, ha ha ha" But I hope Sam kicks *** because I will dig up this thread.

who says he fell 70 spots JUST AFTER his announcement? name the guys who had crappy combines and a crappy senior bowl and got drafted higher then they were projected to go before those things happened. I'd love an example.

When he gets cut, I will bump this thread.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB backup title and turns into a Sam debate...get a room.
Well, gee. OK OK.
Maybe Sam will get a sack or knock down a pass by one of our back up quarter backs in our preseason against the Rams.
There.
Happy now?

I am looking forward to see what, if anything, Sam does.
I'm just tired of all the hype for him when he hardly did anything.
Suppose our 7th round pick is an offensive line player. He blocks Sam. Would there be anything on our player? Nope.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
who says he fell 70 spots JUST AFTER his announcement? name the guys who had crappy combines and a crappy senior bowl and got drafted higher then they were projected to go before those things happened. I'd love an example.

When he gets cut, I will bump this thread.

That **** is a damn fact, wtf man, are you blind?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That **** is a damn fact, wtf man, are you blind?

well then surely you have some evidence that even a blind man can see. All the evidence I see shows he was a) dropping well before he came out of the closet and b) had a terrible combine.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He didn't drop 5 rounds because he was gay. That's just absurd. He was never anything but a marginal prospect.
Hey, you were the one who posted “it had nothing to do with being gay” and then “you could convince me it dropped him a round or two” in about the space of four minutes – I just pointed it.
Ridiculous. If I was a homophobe, I doubt I'd live in San Francisco. That's the point.
No the point is I pointed out something I thought was humorous. Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts