Backup QB.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

Timmy Teabag is available, ready and looking for a job.

He's still working out like a maniac, consulting a passing guru in Los Angeles and campaigning for another NFL shot. Tebow was asked last week whether he's now a better quarterback than he's ever been.

"By far," he told USA Today.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...-0813-20140811_1_tim-tebow-nfl-shot-nfl-camps
It's a long way from throwing like a girl, albeit a very butch and highly athletic girl, to having NFL mechanics. I'll believe it when I see it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a long way from throwing like a girl, albeit a very butch and highly athletic girl, to having NFL mechanics. I'll believe it when I see it.
If one doesn't get taken even by the Cleveland Clowns then it's time to get the hint once and for all.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My second point stands; bringing in some raw rookie at this late juncture who may not even understand what play is being called into his helmet would be repeating the same mistake made last season.

One would think, based on recent experience, there's a realization the #3 guy might actually have to play.
The mistake last season was to jettison both QBs and not even have one capable backup entering the season. That's not the same as keeping a known, quality backup and searching for another gem with the third spot. Those are two distinctly different situations.

Until last year, it had been since 1991 when Blair Kiel (the #3 QB) started a game for the Packers. The team's experience has been pretty clear over the past 23 years that the 3rd stringer rarely plays, and not much at that. There are plenty of other positions that could benefit from added depth. We also know that Flynn and Tolzien have ceilings. You never know when a team will release a gem of a development QB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't seem to have any grasp for what I'm thinking and your logic is cracked ("exact same situation?" -WTF?).

We got caught with our pants down when we lost Rodgers last season. The front office can't/won't be so haphazard about the backup QB situation this year. That's all I'm getting at. Right now, I think Rodgers, Flynn and Tolzien all make the roster.
I disagree with your logic too. Keeping one solid backup QB is not the same as keeping zero solid backup QBs.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hardly unheard of for two qbs to go down in one season. Seems just prudent to have 3 on the roster.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
"IF" tebow had better hands, he might be a decent TE. He has the size, we know he is athletic, he has speed .... and he is a proven "good guy" in the locker room. I like him as a person, he is a good hearted guy and keeps on the straight and narrow path, but he was never meant to play QB.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"IF" tebow had better hands, he might be a decent TE. He has the size, we know he is athletic, he has speed .... and he is a proven "good guy" in the locker room. I like him as a person, he is a good hearted guy and keeps on the straight and narrow path, but he was never meant to play QB.

he doesn't seem to be willing to play other positions. I agree you'd think he could be a good TE or h-back. guy's athleticism was off the charts at the combine.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he doesn't seem to be willing to play other positions. I agree you'd think he could be a good TE or h-back. guy's athleticism was off the charts at the combine.
He is also way too stubborn to want to play anywhere else but the NFL.
I guess when you can step in and beat teams that have the same record or worse than your team and beat the Steelers in your home stadium in a first round playoff game with the game winner TD throw and have the number one selling jersey, that will inflate your ego very, very big.
Oh well. Whatever. It's his problem and his life.
Just really, really glad that he is not in GB or part or our team's issues.
Same goes for Michael Sam. I don't have a problem with him coming out as gay or being gay but I would rather have another team deal with the media circus of the first open gay NFL player and who so far has shown that he isn't really that good.

H

HardRightEdge

The mistake last season was to jettison both QBs and not even have one capable backup entering the season. That's not the same as keeping a known, quality backup and searching for another gem with the third spot. Those are two distinctly different situations.

Until last year, it had been since 1991 when Blair Kiel (the #3 QB) started a game for the Packers. The team's experience has been pretty clear over the past 23 years that the 3rd stringer rarely plays, and not much at that. There are plenty of other positions that could benefit from added depth. We also know that Flynn and Tolzien have ceilings. You never know when a team will release a gem of a development QB.
Where I disagree is that it is too late to bring in a different #3 QB for PS, as I noted earlier. That would have needed to happen before OTAs. As it stands, Tolzien is the developmental QB, for good or ill, it just so happens he does not have PS eligibility.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and I agree that it would have been better to have a PS-eligible 3rd quarterback on the roster since April, but I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the developmental QB that has been in camp all along and the guy signed at the start of the season. You still are likely to get a TJ Rubley situation either way - remember that he was a 4th yr QB who went through the entire camp with the Pack.

My entire premise is just that losing both your starting QB and backup QB in the same game or season is rare. A lot of the fan base is scared and concerned based on what happened last year, but it's not the exact same situation since we are absolutely keeping either Flynn or Tolzien. I also don't think it's worth stashing an extra QB on the 53 that will likely never see sunlight on the field while we end up having other positions that will likely require added depth. We know that this team has a penchant for injuries, and I'd rather place my money that it will impact just about every other position before it requires our 3rd string QB.

Maybe I'm too much of a gambler, but I think that while the risk does exist it is low.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with your logic too. Keeping one solid backup QB is not the same as keeping zero solid backup QBs.

Alright. I think it's more accurate to say you disagree with my conclusion but to each his own, I guess.

H

HardRightEdge

...and I agree that it would have been better to have a PS-eligible 3rd quarterback on the roster since April, but I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the developmental QB that has been in camp all along and the guy signed at the start of the season. You still are likely to get a TJ Rubley situation either way - remember that he was a 4th yr QB who went through the entire camp with the Pack.

My entire premise is just that losing both your starting QB and backup QB in the same game or season is rare. A lot of the fan base is scared and concerned based on what happened last year, but it's not the exact same situation since we are absolutely keeping either Flynn or Tolzien. I also don't think it's worth stashing an extra QB on the 53 that will likely never see sunlight on the field while we end up having other positions that will likely require added depth. We know that this team has a penchant for injuries, and I'd rather place my money that it will impact just about every other position before it requires our 3rd string QB.

Maybe I'm too much of a gambler, but I think that while the risk does exist it is low.

Well, if you're going to do that you better find a guy with experience with West Coast terminology, San Francisco version. I believe it's the SF version McCarthy uses. Otherwise, if forced into a game, when the first play gets miked into his helmet he'll be having a WTF moment. He might as well being drawing up plays in the dirt...except there is no dirt.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He is also way too stubborn to want to play anywhere else but the NFL.
I guess when you can step in and beat teams that have the same record or worse than your team and beat the Steelers in your home stadium in a first round playoff game with the game winner TD throw and have the number one selling jersey, that will inflate your ego very, very big.
Oh well. Whatever. It's his problem and his life.
Just really, really glad that he is not in GB or part or our team's issues.
Same goes for Michael Sam. I don't have a problem with him coming out as gay or being gay but I would rather have another team deal with the media circus of the first open gay NFL player and who so far has shown that he isn't really that good.

From one preseason game? A judgement can't really be made from that small of a trial. I could care less if he is gay, but you have to give him credit for having the guts to come out...You can also bet 100% that there are other gay players, they just have not come out yet....or wont..... I hope that he does well and breaks the stigma.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's compare the 2 last yr...Flynn a GB draft pick with 4 yrs clipboarding and 1 career game against Detroit that punched his ticket ($$$) out of GB. Tolzien a late pickup last yr trying to learn.

ST thrown into the Philly game after Wallace goes down. 61.5 % comp, 70.5 QBR. NYG (@NY where we struggle) start 70.5 / 65.5. Minn start 41.2 / 60.4 pulled for Flynn. Consider it only one start loss for Scott.

MF comes into MN game to pull out a tie, 58.3 /85.2. Det start 50.0 / 51.9. Atl start 75.0 / 95.6. Dal start 66.7 / 113.1. Pitt start 53.8 / 69.6. Minnesota, Atlanta and Dallas defenses were both in the bottom 7 in % comp against. 2-2 in starts and a save out of the pen.

If Scott shows that he has picked up the system with an offseason of study, makes no sense in keeping 3 QBs this year. Last year was just a bad plan ( we had a few of those last yr on the other side of the ball) a year after the perennial backup has gone to the bank. Keep one that fits and develop the rookie, as always on the PS.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From one preseason game? A judgement can't really be made from that small of a trial. I could care less if he is gay, but you have to give him credit for having the guts to come out... You can also bet 100% that there are other gay players, they just have not come out yet....or wont..... I hope that he does well and breaks the stigma.

I too hope he does well, but I tend to agree that it's not worth the circus to have him on your team given the fact he's a marginal player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I too hope he does well, but I tend to agree that it's not worth the circus to have him on your team given the fact he's a marginal player.

And where did you come by your conclusion as a FACT? One preseason game and he is marginal huh? I'm not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread but, c'mon..... nobody is deemed a super star or marginal after one preseason match up. He had a couple of QB hurries, tackle for a loss and damn near had a sack. That came in a limited number of snaps. I personally hope he makes people eat their words about him. Also, what media "circus"? It was on tv for several days, then it was gone. We have heard nothing about ANY locker room, practice, training camp isssues so far being a "media circus".... where do these conclusions come from?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And where did you come by your conclusion as a FACT? One preseason game and he is marginal huh? I'm not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread but, c'mon..... nobody is deemed a super star or marginal after one preseason match up. He had a couple of QB hurries, tackle for a loss and damn near had a sack. That came in a limited number of snaps. I personally hope he makes people eat their words about him. Also, what media "circus"? It was on tv for several days, then it was gone. We have heard nothing about ANY locker room, practice, training camp isssues so far being a "media circus".... where do these conclusions come from?

show me how many 7th round draft picks have ended up anything, but marginal players. just wait till he gets cut and tell me there is no media circus.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
show me how many 7th round draft picks have ended up anything, but marginal players. just wait till he gets cut and tell me there is no media circus.

You do know he was originally projected as a higher round draft pick, right? Or do you not follow? He was a 2nd-3rd round pick, but after he came out some shallow people decided he must not be as high of a draft pick......... Hmmmm

Also...... how many 1st round draft picks have been busts? A lot..... and a lot of succeeded as well. How many "gems" have been found in late rounds....a lot. Donald driver turned out pretty darn good for a 7th round pick.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do know he was originally projected as a higher round draft pick, right? Or do you not follow? He was a 2nd-3rd round pick, but after he came out some shallow people decided he must not be as high of a draft pick......... Hmmmm

absolutely incorrect. he was never seen as anything, but a late round draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts