Backup QB.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we keep two backup QBs? I'll admit, Scott Tolzien is growing on me. He played well enough against Tennessee in the first pre season game.

However, I cannot dismiss what Flynn has done for our team in a pinch when ARod cannot play.

This is a tough decision because we seem to only keep two QBs total on our active 53 roster.

At this point, I hate to say it, but we if we keep two, I'd rather keep Tolzien and release Flynn, sadly.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mixed feelings on keeping 3 qbs on the roster, but you can make the argument that Tolzien is the future back up and should be stashed away

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Flynn over tolzien, no question. Flynn is a savvy seasoned veteran back up and knows our system well. He also seems to play well under stress at crunch time. Tolzien, to me, is still very unproven and has to do more than just a pre-season game or two to impress me. His fill in performance last season was to be expected to be less than steller because he was a newb.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Tolzien and Flynns roles switched during this next preseason game to help get a better idea where the two stand relative to each other. Scott out played Flynn against the titans but it was also against the second team defense and in still wet but not monsoon conditions like Flynn had to deal with. If tolzien comes out and plays well against the first team rams defense (especially if he out plays Flynn again) then I would start to be ok with cutting Flynn in favor of tolzien. I would rather use that roster spot on another position, preferably on someone who is good on ST. With all that said tolzien would still need to play well the last 2 preseason games for the move to be fully justified.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Tolzien and Flynns roles switched during this next preseason game to help get a better idea where the two stand relative to each other. Scott out played Flynn against the titans but it was also against the second team defense and in still wet but not monsoon conditions like Flynn had to deal with. If tolzien comes out and plays well against the first team rams defense (especially if he out plays Flynn again) then I would start to be ok with cutting Flynn in favor of tolzien. I would rather use that roster spot on another position, preferably on someone who is good on ST. With all that said tolzien would still need to play well the last 2 preseason games for the move to be fully justified.

Although as I write this I remember Aaron will be playing this week, so that might throw a wrinkle in my thinking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Scott will be the future #2...He has the smarts, and the work ethic, plus a better arm than Flynn..

He has had all of off season to learn the offense..We will see how he does rest of the preseason..

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

No way man..... I don't ever want a rerun of last seasons QB revolving door. I want a solid PROVEN back up. Flynn left us once, we should not make the same mistake twice. Until flynn proves he can no longer hack it, he should be the man at #2.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers must carry only two QBs this season due to roster constraints, then there is no question that is Flynn. The guy wins games in Rodgers' absence. If the Packers have the luxury of being able to carry 3 QBs, they should do so because Tolzien could be that guy in the future but it's a gamble until proven.

There is absolutely no way that Tolzien can prove himself a more capable backup than Flynn in the preseason. It's like being crowned Mr. September.

H

HardRightEdge

In recent years when we carried 2 QBs on the 53 man roster we had a #3 on practice squad (Harrell, Coleman).

Tolzien is not PS eligible. Rittig is PS eligible but he's not an NFL QB. Tolzien and Flynn will both be on the 53 man roster.

Having only 2 QBs in your entire domain borders on irresponsible. Last season's backup debacle in particular will no doubt lead to the sensible and appropriately conservative conclusion. This is particularly highlighted by the fact that both Flynn and Tolzien are costing us peanuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having only 2 QBs in your entire domain borders on irresponsible.
You're spot on about Tolzien not being PS eligible, and about not having a 3rd QB somewhere in the "entire domain." I suspect that if, for roster purposes, we need to go with only two on the 53 and the right developmental QB appeared on the waiver wire, TT could cut Tolzien (or Flynn) and then sign said player to the practice squad as our 3rd string QB.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're spot on about Tolzien not being PS eligible, and about not having a 3rd QB somewhere in the "entire domain." I suspect that if, for roster purposes, we need to go with only two on the 53 and the right developmental QB appeared on the waiver wire, TT could cut Tolzien (or Flynn) and then sign said player to the practice squad as our 3rd string QB.
I agree that it was a debacle when AR & then Wallace went down last year and there wasn't an NFL-ready QB to step in... but to carry a 3rd QB on the 53 and then run short of an OL or LB (referencing a limping Mulumba in the playoff loss) would be almost as bad.

Roster spots are like gold, don't think we can afford to carry 3 QB's when there will be very difficult OL, DL, OLB and TE cuts to be made. ST needs these reserve LB's and TE's, certainly can't put Tolzien (or Flynn) out there and the horses up front are always necessary.

H

HardRightEdge

While that's certainly possible, it would be impractical and run counter to everything we know about Thompson and McCarthy. The 3rd. QB, no matter how developmental, may need to play. It's one thing to have a QB who's wet behind the ears and may even have some mechanics issue to work out. It's another to bring a guy with similar traits with the additional liability of having no knowledge of the system.

Barring injury, Flynn and Tolzien will be on the roster.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's certainly possible, it would be impractical and run counter to everything we know about Thompson and McCarthy.
I don't know how you can say that it's counter to everything we know about TT & MM, when it's exactly what they did last year. They cut Harrell and Coleman at the end of camp, signed Wallace to the 53 and put Tolzien on the PS.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers must carry only two QBs this season due to roster constraints, then there is no question that is Flynn. The guy wins games in Rodgers' absence. If the Packers have the luxury of being able to carry 3 QBs, they should do so because Tolzien could be that guy in the future but it's a gamble until proven.

There is absolutely no way that Tolzien can prove himself a more capable backup than Flynn in the preseason. It's like being crowned Mr. September.

Didn't Tolzien get a chance to play in reg. season games last year and failed?
If so then it should be Rodgers, Flynn, 3rd back up in that order.
It also may be too early to judge on who should stay or go or here or there or anywhere.
It was just one preseason game and in miserable conditions.
Let's see who can do what in a couple more games with no rain.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you can say that it's counter to everything we know about TT & MM, when it's exactly what they did last year. They cut Harrell and Coleman at the end of camp, signed Wallace to the 53 and put Tolzien on the PS.

...which would makes repeating that mistake particularly egregious!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Tolzien get a chance to play in reg. season games last year and failed?
Yes, as a player that had only a few weeks in Green Bay's system. If you believe that Tolzien hasn't improved one bit from a full year in the organization, then you are correct.

...which would makes repeating that mistake particularly egregious!
That means that you believe this would be the exact same situation, which it clearly is not. The Packers (and most teams for that matter) have gone with an established backup and a developmental QB in the third spot during the modern football era. If you are calling that a mistake, then that is your opinion.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least you know Flynn will be capable in game situations. Tolzien's accuracy is just terrible.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Tolzien's accuracy is just terrible.
Decisive through the drizzle, Tolzien completed 8 of 12 passes for 124 yards and a 100.7 passer rating — this with multiple drops. On his one gaffe, fumbling the ball away mid-throw, Tolzien held back the defender to recover the ball himself.
Soon, this competition behind Aaron Rodgers could get tighter. ... Flynn went 5 of 10 for 49 yards, misfiring on open receivers.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/270631841.html
Just one preseason game and the first one at that. Also Tolzien went against second stringers and Flynn against the first teamers. Still, in less than ideal conditions isn't it difficult to conclude Tolzien's accuracy is just terrible?

H

HardRightEdge

Good point; my recollection of the time line was fuzzy.

My second point stands; bringing in some raw rookie at this late juncture who may not even understand what play is being called into his helmet would be repeating the same mistake made last season.

One would think, based on recent experience, there's a realization the #3 guy might actually have to play.

Cutting Harrell and Coleman (not to mention Young) and signing Wallace were panic moves...the realization set in that the incumbents were terrible and they ended up begging rather than choosing. I don't think there's much sense in going begging for a practice squad replacement for Tolzien at this late juncture.

Do I think Tolzien has the potential to be a quality backup, a guy who can go out and beat mediocre to poor teams as Flynn has shown he can do? No, I don't. But losing with Tolzien is not the same thing as getting crushed and humiliated with somebody else.

In any event, had the organization come to the same conclusion as I have regarding Tolzien they would have acted on it in the off season. Nothing's happened since that should have changed their "stick with him" conclusion.

And perhaps the organization has come to the realization that I came to a couple of years ago...the games won over 0.500 belong entirely to Rodgers vs. any average NFL QB. Perhaps the ego associated with winning has been tempered and the realization has set in that the talent outside the QB position is not that hot. The idea that a raw rookie off the PS stepping in to play should scare the bejezzus out of them. If said raw rookie had no OTAs, no camp and no preseason in the organization, matters could only be worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That means that you believe this would be the exact same situation, which it clearly is not. The Packers (and most teams for that matter) have gone with an established backup and a developmental QB in the third spot during the modern football era. If you are calling that a mistake, then that is your opinion.

You don't seem to have any grasp for what I'm thinking and your logic is cracked ("exact same situation?" -WTF?).

We got caught with our pants down when we lost Rodgers last season. The front office can't/won't be so haphazard about the backup QB situation this year. That's all I'm getting at. Right now, I think Rodgers, Flynn and Tolzien all make the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts