Backup QB Poll Question

Who would you prefer be Rodgers' backup QB this & next season?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very hypothetical, actually a pipe dream.
But I'd still like your honest answer here.

Considering all the bad criticism thrown at Graham Harrell, I'd like to hear who you'd prefer to be the Packers backup QB among these fictional options.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You left off a strong candidate for next season, B.J. Coleman

I think he has had a "rookie" type season and with another year in this QB making machine he will supplant Harrell in next years training camp. But, for this year I think our best bet is going to be to stick to our guns with Harrell. No one can argue that he has looked pedestrian at best this preseason, but the poor guy has been running for his life back there. The packers might have the worst set of back up lineman that I have ever seen. Big ol fatty Herb Taylor that just got cut couldn't block my grandma, and Datko has had some rough patches to say the least. The only one of those guys that I dont think would get #12 killed if he had to play is Evan Diethrich Smith (sp?). I think if Harrell had to come in for 1-3 games and play with the good line and the explosive weapons he could win at least 1 and could possibly win all 3 if the D shows up. Take Rodgers out of the picture for a season or anything else drastic and I think it doesn't really matter who the back up is the superbowl aspirations are gone. So I think I would take a guy from inside the organization this year who knows the offense already over somebody else's cast offs. (unless Seattle wants to give us matt flynn back ;) )

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
There are several other options not mentioned, and given Weeden's performance, you may want to put Wallace instead of McCoy. A few teams may be waiving decent back-up qb's.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Zeke Bratkowski was still around.

Truthfully, it's not a pleasant thought to ponder.
But I'd go with TJack. He knows how to run. It was Brett Favre who helped to dismantle his career
by leaving Green Bay and landing in Minnesota. It might be the incentive to vindicate himself if he should get to step in to the role per chance that #4 once held in check even if it is in a relief role.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • I would've voted for B.J. Coleman.. But Colt McCoy would be a good pickup out of FA, I wouldn't waste any future draft picks on him though.. B.J. Coleman would be decent, but I think if he had to step into the number one's shoes, I would like to sign a vet just to have some insurance (Hasselbeck if he's there, McNabb and as much as I don't want to say this...Kitna)

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm disappointed I didn't see Tebow as not being picked. I would have liked to have been the little dust storm that started the hurricane that would be Tebow-mania in Titletown. Actually, it doesn't matter, it would have been you Frank.
I don't think any of them would provide enough to make a difference over Harrell. There's not a difference maker in the bunch and I wouldn't expect one as a FA since many teams keep 3.

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stay stick with Harrell. He doesn't excite me much, but Coleman needs more polish (I see him easily surpassing Harrell). Like many have said and I've seen, even Rodgers plays like crap with the secondary line on the field, almost makes me nostalgic for the no protection Favre days.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like that they are being stubborn and going with Harrell. He has done nothing to make me feel comfortable with him as the backup. Anytime there is any pressure or a play starts to breakdown he is done.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady quinn would be my vote. More accurate then any of the other guys on that list. In this league you have to be able to complete passes.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since some names of former browns qb's are being thrown around, Derek Anderson could be a viable option. He did look decent last night although my NFL mobile force closed at the time of his INT.
-edit- the pick was a way over thrown ball.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't like that they are being stubborn and going with Harrell. He has done nothing to make me feel comfortable with him as the backup. Anytime there is any pressure or a play starts to breakdown he is done.
And that would be the beauty of it, your comfort means nothing. You don't get a say in the matter

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that would be the beauty of it, your comfort means nothing. You don't get a say in the matter
I'm well aware of that.

I can't believe Harrell actually has apologists out there. Just because the guy is on the roster doesn't mean you have to drink the Kool-Aid. I have seen him take plenty of snaps and he looks bad. I don't think they have any confidence in him however I also don't think they have the time or want to teach another qb the system and the playbook in 2 weeks.

Cedric Benson is the backup QB because if Rodgers gets hurt Benson is going to be carry the ball and the team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the deal. The Packers have "dared" to go with 2 QBs because they've had strong backups. That is not the case this year despite what MM tries to assure the fans and media. Harrell may need another year in the system to polish up, but I think we'll see MM and TT ante up for a veteran backup QB after roster cutdowns. This will be the year that we carry three QBs on the active roster. I hope that I'm wrong but nobody outside of MM is seeing a lot of reason to put our faith in Harrell right now.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not thinking for early on this year, but there is talk about Jimmy Clausen being cut. If I were TT I would jump on him, not for the back-up position early on but for later in the season when he gets some grasp on the offense. I feel like he would be a better option over Harrell and Coleman once he gets a grasp on the offense.

Next preseason this could give us a good back-up QB battle between Clausen and Coleman with hopefully one of them coming out better.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are looking at other team's scraps....I loved what I saw out of Jarrett Lee from the Chargers and previously LSU.

Members online

Latest posts