1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Back from Mississippi

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by carol k, Jan 25, 2008.

1. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We left for Kiln, Mississippi two weeks ago today. Drove all night and then went to the Broke Spoke to watch the Packers play. What fun. Had some moonshine after the Pack won the game.

Sunday was "Church Day"; so several of us went to church, then went to work on a house. I learned all about "mudding" that day. I used to say putting stuff on the nails in the sheet rock. My husband said I had more "mud" on me than on the walls.
    Back to the Broke Spoke to watch the cowgirls lose. How exciting that was!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday began our official work week. One of my jobs was to pack lunches. Wouldn't you know I forgot to pack the bread. The guys were all so good about that though. They forgave me for that.

The rest of the week, I helped to put up sheet rock, pack lunches--I remembered the bread the rest of the week--and clean up.

Each day after work, we went to the Broke Spoke for some libations such as coke seven up etc. Do you believe that?

We left last Sat. about noon and got into Green Bay at 5:30 in the morning. Went for breakfast, then to church, and then to our friend's house. We then went to a bar to watch the game and were so disappointed that the Pack lost.

The hurricane damage in Mississippi is unbelievable. There were 40 lots on the street where we were working, and all of the houses were destroyed. So far, four of them have been put up, but none have been completed. There was a church which had a sign in front of it that said, "Katrina was big, but God is bigger."

There is a place called tent city--which we didn't see--but we heard that people are living under the overpass.

When I came home, I thought how thankful I am that I have what I have. I don't have a fancy house, but it is a house, it is warm, and it is liveable.

I think if anyone ever has the opportunity to go to Mississippi and help, it woud be an awesome experience. I know it was for us.

Sorry, I got so long winded with this--guess it's my teaching background.

Have a good weekend all.

2. joym13

joym13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow - what an experience! It's amazing to me that so much has still gone unfixed (if that's a word). Thanks for sharing that with us.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Carol, that wasn't "long winded", that was full of great info!
    I'll grade you an "A+"!!!!

4. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It was just in our local paper yesterday that the money that was given to Mississippi to help rebuild houses is now being used to help expand the port. How sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the "At" Cheesey.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh....thats just not right!!!
    Thats why i sometimes hesitate to give money for things........you never know for sure if it will EVER to to where you were TOLD it's gonna go. Thats why i like a more "hands on" giving. That way you KNOW for sure it's gonna be used for what you gave it for.

6. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It is funny, the connection that has developed between Packers fans and the people of Kiln, MS. Take away the accents, and I found that we were very much alike when I was down there. Really salt-of-the-earth people, and a lot of fun.

I have a feeling the connection between Kiln and Packers' fans will last long after Brett quits playing the game.

7. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I watched a show yesterday called "smach Lab", kinda like Mythbusters. Their job was to make a house "hurricane proof". They took a rickety old trailer home and put carbonfilliment around it...lightweight but extremely strong. Well, the trailer not only withstood the 150mph wind, once the tie downs broke the trialer was blown over and rolled over yet kept it's structual integrity.

In California, buildings are forced to be earthquake proof. why aren't homes down south made to be hurricane proof?

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My guess would be money. I don't know what that stuff would cost, but most people probably wouldn't have access to it.

9. VAPAckerFan

VAPAckerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Virginia Beach and alot of the new homes here are hurricane proof. They make sure the rafters in all new houses are Strapped to the whole house and ran under ground. You also have to take into affect all houses here are at sea level or below sea level which means no Basements, So your entire house is above ground. Now granted we see a hurricane once every 5 years but atleast the city is doing something to make sure your house is safe here and won't fly away like Dorthys.