1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Back from cruising with the players

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by carol k, Mar 15, 2008.

1. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Returned home on Monday from cruising with Nick Barnet, Daryn Colledge, and Greg Jennings. What fun it was.
    The guys were great and answered a lot of questions many of us had. Jennings seems to think Favre will be back, but we all said he is in denial. The second to last day of the cruise we had breakfast with the Colledges and the Jennings, and the last day, we had breakfast with the Jennings. The Jennings have a 14 month old daughter who is an absolute doll, and they were anxious to get home to see her. We ate a lot , drank a lot, and had a lot of fun. The cruise was through Titletown tickets and tours, and they have been planning cruises since 2005. The lady who plans the cruises used to work for Packer fan tours as did her present boss. It was his idea to have cruising with the players. We have been going since 2001, and have enjoyed it very much. If any of you ever get a chance, you should try it.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    so did Greg captain the ship or not?

And if Brett Favre comes back I will lose my frickin mind (in a good way)

and oh yeah, im glad you had fun!

3. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like an awesome cruise. I hope Jennings is right that eventually Brett will come back, IMO I think hes truly retired but when the season roles around I think thats when he will miss it.

Welcome back Carol.

4. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you kidding? Greg Jennings designed and built the ship before he captained it! :D

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    If Gregorious was on the Titanic, he would have run around the iceburg so fast, the friction would have melted it, and the Titanic never would have sunk!

I KNOW i'll never afford to be on ANY cruise. (Not even a VIKINGS one!)
    Glad you had a great time Carol!!! :D

6. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Carol,

Do you like Cruising, we have never been on one and maybe are planning on taking a cruise to Mexico this summer. Am worried about getting sea sick, do you actually feel the boat going up and down?

7. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    glad you had a greta time :)

8. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As a historian, I'm so sick of hearing that the Titanic hit an iceberg. Greg Jennings threw a snowball and it traveled a few thousand miles and hit the Titanic. He never liked that ship.

Carol - Glad you had a great time. I'd love to do this one of these years.

9. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome... jealousy

10. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I never had an issue on the cruise I went on. The boat is just too big to really notice any movement walking around. The only time you can notice is when you look at the horizon.

11. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to mention 90 some years back in time - now that could help the team out immensely!!

12. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heather - I'm glad you asked this question.

I have a horribly weak stomach. I have thrown up on boats, planes, and automobiles (and really bad movies).

I took a cruise, and was worried. The cruise ship was a like a floating city. You can't feel you're moving. I was not sick at all on the ship, and nobody I know who has cruised before was sick on a cruise ship either. They're simply too big to notice.

13. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info Zombie!!! I was just a little worried, I have gotton sick on boats before but of course it was a smaller ship but not real small. One person that I talked to said the only time she felt the boat moving was when she went to bed in her cabin because then you are still. Is this true? I just would hate to go on a cruise and be sick the whole time. Thanks again for the info really appreciate it.

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends.

Make sure you get a cabin that is far enough from the engines that you cannot hear them. If you hear them, then you know the ship is moving and it's in your head.

Unfortunately, the cruise ship is aware of this and of course sets the prices accordingly. The more you spend, the better the rooms. We spent probably mid-range and I slept like a baby. Well, keep in mind, we also spent about $500 on alcohol (no exaggeration) in a 7-day span, so I didn't really sleep but more like I crashed. :)

But to those who were sober, heard the same thing. There were 3 teachers who didn't drink that much and they shared a cheap cabin. They thought they felt the boat move. I talked to another couple whose parents bought them the tickets for their honeymoon (they had good cabins) and they were moderate drinkers (as in sober before they went to bed) and they were completely fine. The teachers were the only people I talked to who thought they were able to feel the ship move but they had the absolute worst cabins on the ship.

I would bring ground ginger pills just in case. I have had much more success with ginger than Dramamine. I've had Dramamine and still thrown up. I didn't even need the ginger on the cruise.

One more thing, check the size of the ship. Ours was much larger than the Titanic. It was a floating city (it was one of the Royal Carribean ships). The bigger the ship, the less likely you'll know it's moving (without watching it move of course).

15. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    If you go to the front for what ever reason and its choppy you might feel it..I did on my cruise..

16. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0

I didnt know if we should get an inside cabin or a room with a window so you could see the ocean. I prefer in my cabin not to see the ocean so I cant tell we are moving. Did you have a window in your cabin? Or just a standard room?

Well we will either go on Carnival or Royal, do you know which one is best?

I heard that Royal has better food, but guess you wouldnt know the difference if you hadnt went on both of them to compare.

I guess you did drink alot, $500 thats alot, but maybe not being it was for 7 days. I am not much of a drinker, but maybe on the ship I will down them..LOL..

Thanks LT for the info on not going to the front of the ship when the water is choppy will keep that in mind also.

What cruises did you take? What excursions if any?

Thanks for all the info.

17. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to get technical, but the "front" is called the bow.

18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Not to get technical but tell us again how many SB trophies are sitting in the Dump?

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Better one

As a Viking fan you should know all about a boat and every nook and cranny it has :thumbsup:

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Not me!!!
    I'd bring the "Mary Ann" pills.......she was MUCH cuter!!! :lol:

21. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify things, I was "thinking" about taking a cruise, its not a definate plan because we have to go and see my parents this year as well and cannot afford to do both. I just wanted to get info from others on their experiences. But I can dream can I? LOL..

I hope this satisfies someone on here. :)

22. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0

Well when and if I get to the front of the boat I will be 'bowing' up and down..LOL

23. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Only the Japaneese do that Heathier.

you are less likely to fee lthe movement of the ship if you are in the middle (bow to stern) and on the lower levels so you don't feel the side to side as much.

24. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Amidships :p

Decks :p :p

Roll :p :p :p

25. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no real best cruise ship. It's what you want. Carnival is more for young folks and is designed to be more fun. Royal Caribbean concentrates more on spectacular customer service, the best possible food, etc.

I've never been on Carnival but know a lot of people who have and it really is a fun ship, or so I've heard. It's also considerably less expensive.

I did the Western Caribbean cruise which went from Galveston to Key West to some English Caribbean island (forgot which one) to Cozumel and back.

As for shore excursions, it depends on what you want to do. All ships offer a variety and what is fun to someone is boring to someone else. For one, we had a glass bottom boat and we were bored as heck on it. It's more for elderly folks. We'd rather do something more wild. In Cozumel, we rode some speed boats and that was an absolute blast. Or you might want to just go on shore and go shopping and/or drinking or just lay on the beach if that's your thing. It all depends on you.

The other excursion we had was in Key West where we rode on a pirate ship. It was a blast. Best part of it was drinking and watching the sun set over the ocean. My wife even helped with the sails but I was already too buzzed to be much use to anyone. When another ship got close, we shot at it with a cannon (of course filled with confetti) and jeered at them. Great times.

All the ships offer a variety of food, gambling, several pubs, dance facilities, workout gyms, etc. They had a disco club which we walked in and left after 10 minutes because you literally had no room to actually bust a move. Some have basketball courts, ping pong and pool tables. I heard there are some with ice skating rinks. Ours didn't have one of those though. They all have several pools. I personally prefer one that has adult only pool and hot tub because I don't like swimming in pee. Plus, there were some hotties in the hot tub and I had to keep bugging Mrs. Z to spend another hour in the hot tub.

Ours had a 24-hour food service too, but it's usually basic link hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and tea. So if you get hungry at 2 in the morning (which you'd be surprised, you will), that's there.

The ship also had a lot of good entertainment. We had a stand-up comic that was quite good and I got a chance to talk to him later on as the entertainers are also on the cruise ship with you. I also talked to the Magicians, who did a trick that I'm at a loss of how they did it. One of them teleported the other into the audience.

The thing is, ask as many questions as possible. You have to find the ship that is ideal for the 2 of you. Also take price into consideration. As I've mentioned earlier, Carnival is considerably cheaper than some of the others.