Back 2 the Stanford pool?

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers have been using Stanford as a regular go2 in the past few drafts. And I know that most fans here are for bringing back Lacy as #1 priority no matter what but wouldn't drafting Christian McCaffrey be extremely exiting move for us. Our offense has been missing that shifty back that breaks the defense with big plays. Rodgers would also have such a big threat to target out of backfield in McCaffrey! Lacy will get 7mil contract in FA my guess at least. We could use that towards Perry, Datone or Hyde imo. I know not many will agree most likely, just thought it intriguing.

D

Deleted member 6794

The packers have been using Stanford as a regular go2 in the past few drafts. And I know that most fans here are for bringing back Lacy as #1 priority no matter what but wouldn't drafting Christian McCaffrey be extremely exiting move for us. Our offense has been missing that shifty back that breaks the defense with big plays. Rodgers would also have such a big threat to target out of backfield in McCaffrey! Lacy will get 7mil contract in FA my guess at least. We could use that towards Perry, Datone or Hyde imo. I know not many will agree most likely, just thought it intriguing.

Actually I'm one of the posters around here that would be extremely reluctant to offer Lacy a lucrative long-term contract after what happened last year. In my opinion it's too early to talk about a replace though, especially with McCaffrey as he would be eligible to return to the Cardinal for the 2017 season.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack would have to go on a major losing streak to get a shot at drafting McCaffrey.
I'm hoping that doesn't happen.
I'm also not in favor of signing Lacy to a big 2nd contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Pack would have to go on a major losing streak to get a shot at drafting McCaffrey.

I'm not sure about that because of the devaluation of the position as well as Leonard Fournette being available as well.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that because of the devaluation of the position as well as Leonard Fournette being available as well.
While it's true that the running back position has been devalued, I think that McCaffrey will be valued more highly than just a running back due to his versatility.
I think to even have a shot at Fournette, the Packers would probably have to be drafting in the top 25% of the 1st round which may require a less than .500 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

While it's true that the running back position has been devalued, I think that McCaffrey will be valued more highly than just a running back due to his versatility.
I think to even have a shot at Fournette, the Packers would probably have to be drafting in the top 25% of the 1st round which may require a less than .500 season.

The thing I wanted to point out is that no matter how talented Fournette and McCaffrey are I'm not totally convinced both will be drafted in the first round as there aren't a lot of teams ready to spend their first pick on the position.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now, the Packers may not have a shot at McCaffrey. The latest CBS Mock Draft has McCaffrey going in the top 15. (Walter Football has McCaffrey going #24) Regardless, he looks like a very interesting back. McCaffrey is an all-around player who could run it, catch it, and return kicks and punts. It would be an interesting addition.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_1.php

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I wanted to point out is that no matter how talented Fournette and McCaffrey are I'm not totally convinced both will be drafted in the first round as there aren't a lot of teams ready to spend their first pick on the position.

I'm not sure if its teams not willing to spend a first rounder on the position or that there are not many players worth the first round pick. If there was a guy out there who was the real deal most teams would spend a first rounder on him if he were available and if they didn't have the real deal already. I don't know how McCaffrey or Fournette compare to Elliot but there was no way in hell he was dropping out of the first round. I'm guessing most teams would have considered him and those that wouldn't either didn't really need a RB or had a bigger needs elsewhere.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fournette is too talented to fall out of the first. With the way the line is playing, I'd be all for picking him up if he for any reason falls that far.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think McCaffrey may be 1st RD pick, but a late 1st pick. If he isn't available by our pick there are a few other backs I believe would be great fits available in later rounds. Jalen Hurd and Kareem Hunt would be interesting, especially Hunt who I predict will go in the late 3rd round.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure if its teams not willing to spend a first rounder on the position or that there are not many players worth the first round pick. If there was a guy out there who was the real deal most teams would spend a first rounder on him if he were available and if they didn't have the real deal already. I don't know how McCaffrey or Fournette compare to Elliot but there was no way in hell he was dropping out of the first round. I'm guessing most teams would have considered him and those that wouldn't either didn't really need a RB or had a bigger needs elsewhere.

I just believe that a lot of teams value other positions way more and therefore pass on a talented running back in the first round.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the Packers are in position to draft McCaffrey this year then either the season has gone horribly awry or McCaffrey is going to suffer an injury. I would guess that the Packers will be drafting in the late 20's at the earliest and the guy that should have won the Heisman last season should be gone by that point...I mean, I know running backs have been devalued but McCaffrey is basically a slightly smaller version of Le'veon Bell. Fournette is obviously the best running back in the upcoming draft but I feel like McCaffrey is suffering from the Jordy Nelson effect and, based on what he's been able to do in college, should be the second best RB in the draft and off the board in the top-20.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers are in position to draft McCaffrey this year then either the season has gone horribly awry or McCaffrey is going to suffer an injury. I would guess that the Packers will be drafting in the late 20's at the earliest and the guy that should have won the Heisman last season should be gone by that point...I mean, I know running backs have been devalued but McCaffrey is basically a slightly smaller version of Le'veon Bell. Fournette is obviously the best running back in the upcoming draft but I feel like McCaffrey is suffering from the Jordy Nelson effect and, based on what he's been able to do in college, should be the second best RB in the draft and off the board in the top-20.
You can't be so sure where he gets drafted this early. But I still think there is absolutely a chance he falls to 25-32! There is also a possibility he's drafted top 10, all I'm saying is anything is possible. Another RB I really see being a good pro is Kareem Hunt from Toledo. He is very shifty and explosive for his size at 6"0 225lbs and I don't see him going in Rd 1 or 2. Jalen Hurd would be Intersting as well the monster from Tennessee 6"4 240 would be a treat for us fans!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't be so sure where he gets drafted this early. But I still think there is absolutely a chance he falls to 25-32! There is also a possibility he's drafted top 10, all I'm saying is anything is possible. Another RB I really see being a good pro is Kareem Hunt from Toledo. He is very shifty and explosive for his size at 6"0 225lbs and I don't see him going in Rd 1 or 2. Jalen Hurd would be Intersting as well the monster from Tennessee 6"4 240 would be a treat for us fans!

A) I would love if McCaffrey fell to the Packers because he'll be an excellent pro. Le'veon Bell has run almost as many passing routes as Antonio Brown the past couple of weeks and I think McCaffrey could be a similar player. That would be amazing for the Packers to have that kind of variability on offense, to line up with a guy at RB that is just as comfortable shifting out wide. B) I'm not sure how long Hurd is going to last in the NFL with that kind of size and upright running style. He's going to take a lot of hard hits. As for Hunt, not that familiar with him.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) I would love if McCaffrey fell to the Packers because he'll be an excellent pro. Le'veon Bell has run almost as many passing routes as Antonio Brown the past couple of weeks and I think McCaffrey could be a similar player. That would be amazing for the Packers to have that kind of variability on offense, to line up with a guy at RB that is just as comfortable shifting out wide. B) I'm not sure how long Hurd is going to last in the NFL with that kind of size and upright running style. He's going to take a lot of hard hits. As for Hunt, not that familiar with him.
I feel the exact same way about McCaffrey. Hurd I see as a Latavious Murray type back. I agree his run style is asking for big hits, but size and speed combined he is an interesting prospect. If you haven't watched Kareem Hunt you should give a look, maybe not this week vs BowlingGreen but Toledo plays CMU after that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Darrell Thompson was the last RB the Packers drafted in the first round....in 1990. I don't see them breaking their 26 straight years of looking elsewhere to fill that need.

However, if the draft was today and Lacy wasn't resigned, I think they would at least have to consider it if a top prospect fell to them at #32. :coffee:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing I will agree with regardless of whether or not McCaffrey is available when the Packers draft in 2017 is that the Packers need skill position players. The Packers could use a running back, tight end, and wide receiver in no particular order. The Packers appear to have built up the trenches and are solid at quarterback and safety. It looks like the big needs are running back, tight end, wide receiver, and cornerback.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Long season ahead and still time for players to develop. Couple that with injuries, resigns, free agency (Ha Ha -not the player), guessing our needs today may be different then our needs when the draft rolls around. But Jordy will be 32 at the start of next season and unless Adams or any of the other 4 step up their games, I for one would like to see a WR be high on the priority list.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I'm one of the posters around here that would be extremely reluctant to offer Lacy a lucrative long-term contract after what happened last year. In my opinion it's too early to talk about a replace though, especially with McCaffrey as he would be eligible to return to the Cardinal for the 2017 season.

McCaffrey probably won't be available and Fournette surely won't, IMO. One guy that I think would accompany the Packer offense that we will be in a position to pick up, possibly in a 2nd round type position, would be Elijah Hood.

Big back, ungodly strength, downhill runner and fits in well with MM's offense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As of right now, the Packers may not have a shot at McCaffrey. The latest CBS Mock Draft has McCaffrey going in the top 15. (Walter Football has McCaffrey going #24) Regardless, he looks like a very interesting back. McCaffrey is an all-around player who could run it, catch it, and return kicks and punts. It would be an interesting addition.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_1.php
Where was Lacy rated as going this time of the season before his draft? I faintly recall many pundits calling him a definite 1st round pick that wouldn't last until the Packers were up in the first round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where was Lacy rated as going this time of the season before his draft? I faintly recall many pundits calling him a definite 1st round pick that wouldn't last until the Packers were up in the first round.

One take on Lacy, of course this was after the 2013 season had concluded and he declared he was making himself eligible for the draft.

They stated he would be a good fit in Green Bay.

"Green Bay would have to use its first-round pick to land Lacy or trade up in the second round."

"Lacy looks like a late first-round or early second-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. He didn't work out at the Combine, which disappointed some teams. If Lacy runs well at his pro day, it would help his chances of cracking the top 32
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013elacy.php#Wo3cdprRdT9MGdq2.99"

Last edited:

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I could be wrong but I hadn't remembered him being that highly hailed. Seems like a lot of predictions were the packers taking him in the 1st. That's just my own recollection, could be wrong.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's my whole point. You can only go off of the information you have at this time. Read what the "experts" have to say and go off of that.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCaffrey probably won't be available and Fournette surely won't, IMO. One guy that I think would accompany the Packer offense that we will be in a position to pick up, possibly in a 2nd round type position, would be Elijah Hood.

Big back, ungodly strength, downhill runner and fits in well with MM's offense.
Hood is a possibility, I agree his style would be perfect for our downhill power run game. I see him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick my top 5 RB wish list would be 1.McCaffrey 2.Leonard Fournette 3. Kareem Hunt 4. Jalen Hurd 5. Elijah Hood

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hood is a possibility, I agree his style would be perfect for our downhill power run game. I see him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick my top 5 RB wish list would be 1.McCaffrey 2.Leonard Fournette 3. Kareem Hunt 4. Jalen Hurd 5. Elijah Hood
If Fournette isn't #1, you need to revise your list. McCaffrey would be a good gadget back, but Fournette can catch the ball with 1 hand and would be 5x the running back. He runs with the intensity of AP, and the difference in talent is debatable between him and AP. He just has the worst offensive-minded coach in modern day FBS.

Members online

Latest posts