1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Average lifespan and cost for gear?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Forget Favre, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    Just wondering what the average is for changing the following for all NFL players.
    How often do the get a replacement:
    Helmet?
    Jersey?
    Shoes?
    Pants?
    Jock-strap?
    (OK I'm kidding about the last one but would like to know about the others.)

You know when you see a player or coach on the sidelines and they wear a T-shirt or hat with the team logo on it. Who pays for that? The team, player, NFL or does the company provide it for free for them?

(If the company just gives it to them for promotion then that could explain why a hat that costs probably $2
    to make costs you $20 or more to buy! Yikes that stuff ain't cheap!
    100 bucks for a cheaply made shirt in an overseas slave labor sweat shop by Nike with a number and name on it? You gotta be kidding me!)

2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Except for the Helmet I would assume they get new gear for every game other than their pads. They auction, sell, donate, give away all that game used stuff.

Nike gets free advertising out of the wearing that stuff. They would let them wear 10 free hats at once if they could.

3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    So they get the hats and shirts and sports drinks for free?
    If so, that has to run into the thousands, maybe even 10s of thousands of dollars, for those companies.

4. searmh

searmh Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    wonder what happens to "old" kit if they replace it every game??

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    depends on the player is the correct answer.

Rodgers wears a new jersey every game, probably wears 1 pair of pants a season and new cleats each game. Favre jerseys from the 90s are pretty rare, but as he became more popular he started wearing 2 a game and switching at halftime

Clay Matthews only wears a few different ones a season because of the heavy modifications he prefers. Adams and Haha will probably wear 2 different jerseys of each style the whole season. Sometimes this gets changed up due to weight gain, weight loss, and general fit for the player. Raji's first jersey was worn for a single preseason game I believe.

Players are issued items when they get into camp including apparel of the packers (shorts shirts ect). The case for most rookies is 2 of each is my understanding.

I have a nice woodson jersey, he worn it several games. I have a kampman jersey from one of his better years if memory serves correct, that was worn all season. I have a TJ lang jersey that was worn for a single game. I had a reggie white jersey that was worn 2 games. Ryan Grant jersey was worn all season. It really depends on many different things.

Helmets are a little more serious for players. Some hate changing helmets. Rodgers has a back up helmet that is mic'd up. As does the mic on defense. Most other players have a back up helmet as well. helmets come in 17 different sizes and 5 different styles (give or take). Players are known for trading helmets at pro bowls so they get new ones every season. Sometimes players try to hold onto their helmet as long as possible.

Facemasks are changed on helmets during the season depending on the player. They make over 60 models, of those, 36 are used by the packers (18 of them are most common the others you dont see very often).

The packers are very strict with equipment and make players purchase it if they want it. This comes from Ted Thompson (not Red as I always assumed until his son told me otherwise). Things like gloves are take as you need.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  6. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    A real man doesn't wear a jock:cool:

7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    Don't you mean cup protector?
    Yeah, if you got balls of steel, why bother?