Available Quarterbacks

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not knowing the current state of mind with Brett Favre... And, never wanting to be forced to wear his shoes, especially nowadays.. We know the end of the Gunslinger Era is about to unfold, either shortly, or at the end of the Season 2005 (most likely).

I'm currently looking up a list of prospects which could be viable to step in and keep the engine running. Right off the bat - I can think of a couple, but one still comes to mind first.

"Ricky Ray"

Now, I know Sherman didn't like the guy - but we have TT in da house now.. and hopefully, he's compiling a list of preferred individuals, as well.

So - on that note - I need some help here. I want to get a rolling list of QB's out there that would be a good fit for Green Bay. Just copy the "list" part of my post onto your response so the list continues to grow...

1. Ricky Ray (former CFL two-time Grey Cup Winner)
2. Adrian Peterson (currently playing in the Arena League)
3. Drew Brees (you already know where he's been this last year)

Just a reminder - we know that TT prefers to use the draft for getting new players - but there's not too many QB's on the list this year. It's mostly RB's on the list.. pretty deep, too, according to Denny Green.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Ricky Ray (former CFL two-time Grey Cup Winner)
2. Adrian Peterson (currently playing in the Arena League)
3. Drew Brees (you already know where he's been this last year)
4. Matt Hasselbeck (welcome back?)

dan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB Wishes

It's doubtful that Hasselbeck will return to Green Bay (now that it looks like Mike Holmgren will stay with the Seahawks); those two have developed a really good working relationship over the last few years.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd like to see Brees in a Packer uni. He looks good in Madden :)

Mr. August can stay in silver and blue

Ricky Ray ... sure

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kelley Holcomb, UFA w/ the Browns, has played very well filling in for Tim Brown. The guy has a lot of NFL experience for a backup and can make all the throws. I doubt he'd be all that expensive. Frankly, I think Nall would do just fine if GB could put a good team around him. Holcomb would provide a little more experience.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guy I kinda like is Chris Simms from Tampa Bay. He has a solid arm and good mechanics. When he played in place of Brian Griese, he did fairly well.

He wouldn't need too much time to develope, and letting him spend a year under Favre wouldn't hurt.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa's not going to give up Simms. I have a feeling he'll be starting for them next year. I've brought this guy up before and I think he would be attainable. Matt Schaub is backing up Vick in Atlanta and had a great preseason. Unless Vick sustains a serious injury, which is possible the way he plays, this guy is going to be wasted on the bench for a long time. That being said, my preference would be to give Nall a shot, but as insurance I'd like to see the following players as a backup:

1. Kyle Orten from Purdue (with one of our 2nd round picks)
2. Matt Schaub (would Atlanta be dumb enough to trade another QB to us?)
3. Drew Brees

Tucker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about david garrard for the jaguars or Patrick Ramsey, Garrard is unproven, but Ramsey (if coached well) could step in a year or two from now

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Rivers will not leave SD, he is AJ Smiths hand picked future of Chargers. No one mentioned him, but ya. Crap!

Brees I'd like him but I'm not sure. Maybe it took him four years to grasp the system? Dunno.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slick - if I was TT, I'd secretly push for Drew Brees.. and possibly Kyle Orton, as a backup notion..

Both Qb's did something hardly no one else could do, and that was win at Notre Dame - for College level sports - THAT's an accomplishment.. especially amongst Indiana Schools, and the Big Ten....

As far as whether it takes a while for Brees to click with a System? Let's take a real hard look at which System he became a part of... "the Schottenheimer System" ... then, do a re-take (don't suck) with the Chargers/Jets playoff fiasco orchestrated by one Marty Schottenheimer.... NOW, does it begin to make sense? Drew did what he could, from the onset of the 2004 Season throughout to the Playoffs... and got screwed - I'd take a bet he's wishin' they had a different Coach, possibly the Owner out there is doing the same...

How many younger QBs ya think would turn down a chance to be mentored by Brett Favre and then take over...? Throw a number out there... anyone!

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still like Nall to get first shot at the job.He has been here a while to learn the system. I think he could do good.He won't be Brett,but,no one will be him.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eastcoastpacker said:
He won't be Brett,but,no one will be him.
Well said - but a guy who played all 16 regular season games and created a winning streak that the Chargers have NOT seen in quite some time does speak for itself... He knows the battlefield, moreso like Brett does, than anyone else out there I've watched - beside Big Ben, that is, in Pittsburgh - and this next year will tell the tale about him and Cowher's future...

Like the man said - SD paid a good chunk of change for that draft pick they now have - so no one thinks Brees will be allowed to run him outta town.. 'Course, it could be that they'd keep both QB's and trade off depending on game strategy...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Slick - if I was TT, I'd secretly push for Drew Brees.. and possibly Kyle Orton, as a backup notion..

Both Qb's did something hardly no one else could do, and that was win at Notre Dame - for College level sports - THAT's an accomplishment.. especially amongst Indiana Schools, and the Big Ten....

As far as whether it takes a while for Brees to click with a System? Let's take a real hard look at which System he became a part of... "the Schottenheimer System" ... then, do a re-take (don't suck) with the Chargers/Jets playoff fiasco orchestrated by one Marty Schottenheimer.... NOW, does it begin to make sense? Drew did what he could, from the onset of the 2004 Season throughout to the Playoffs... and got screwed - I'd take a bet he's wishin' they had a different Coach, possibly the Owner out there is doing the same...

How many younger QBs ya think would turn down a chance to be mentored by Brett Favre and then take over...? Throw a number out there... anyone!

I love Brees, I was glad the Chargers traded their option of getting Vick for him and then picked up LT, I thought that was a good deal, just took four years for it to pan out. I was pulling for the Chargers to meet GB in the SB lol. ...

ps, Bree's looks good in green and gold, I've had him on my GB Madden '05 roster for quite some time now ;-)

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off I hope Brett Favre plays at least 2 more years. I think he can do that with a strong offensive line protecting him. He does have 3 very good WRs to throw too. The RBs are still very good.
2nd off I think Nall deserves a chance to compete for the QB job once Brett leaves. Nall had played well for the Packers in the regular season.
3rd off Drew Brees is the best available QB in the NFL. I do not see any other league free agents or college having anyone who can compare to Drew Brees. The trade price the San Diego Chargers will demand would be high.
Those are my thoughts on the matter. I am hoping Brett wants to play 2 more years.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees won't be coming to Green Bay.

He's a starting QB in the NFL, and won't spend a year riding the pine, even if it's behind Favre. Plus it proabaly won't be an issue anyway because SD would be absolutely stupid not franchising him.

Even if he was available, I don't think we could afford him.

Rhino58

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ldlehrer said:
2nd off I think Nall deserves a chance to compete for the QB job once Brett leaves. Nall had played well for the Packers in the regular season.

I agree. Nall is a pretty good QB. He needs a little more time to play.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've been very lucky to have Brett all these years. It's going to be hard to replace him. When he finally does retire, I hope we don't end up like the Bears or Cowboys signing never was relics like Geoff George and Vinny Testaverde. Parcells knows a heck of a lot more than I do about football, but I have no clue why he practically wasted a season with guys like Vinny and Eddie George. I can't figure out why the Bears would want Geoff George either, but I hope they keep him for a few years. :D

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
listen up people.

drew brees isn't going anywhere. i dont know why his name keeps surfacing, it's not even an option.

Read some of AJ Smiths comments, the GM of the Chargers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
SlickVision said:

did he hint at something? enlighten me.

Enlighten you? lmao ok

Smith said Rivers is the future of the Chargers and that is that. He also hinted at a sign and trade, meaning label drew as franchise and then restructrure the contract for a team who will trade for him. Somfin like that.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
arrowgargantuan said:
SlickVision said:

did he hint at something? enlighten me.

Enlighten you? lmao ok

Smith said Rivers is the future of the Chargers and that is that. He also hinted at a sign and trade, meaning label drew as franchise and then restructrure the contract for a team who will trade for him. Somfin like that.

crazy. im takin bets that drew stays. it just seems to boneheaded to rely on a green qb after drew had that season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts