Available Quarterbacks

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yea, I agree. I had to read the comments a few times and then heard them on ESPN and was jus like wow, you got an extra few picks for Rivers, take the man you got , trade rivers away and you still come out WAYYY ahead. But he's being what i think is stupid about it and gonna see if he can milk something out of drew.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that Mike Mcmahon is going to be a FA he would probably come pretty cheap and is relatively young with a decent upside I could see the Pack taking a look at him.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part I don't like is how we've had so many of the QB's stop by for coffee with Sherman - and they leave "not fitting the corporate status quo" for some damn reason...

At least we have TT in there now -- who knows what he's got up his sleeve...!
It "has" to be the best improvement the Packers have had in a long, long time.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
The part I don't like is how we've had so many of the QB's stop by for coffee with Sherman - and they leave "not fitting the corporate status quo" for some damn reason...

At least we have TT in there now -- who knows what he's got up his sleeve...!
It "has" to be the best improvement the Packers have had in a long, long time.

I hope TT does the Wolf philosophy of drafting QBs almost every year. It worked out well using some mid round picks on guys like Brunnell, Brooks, and Hasselbeck. Even if they didn't play here long, Wolf was able to trade them for picks that were higher than what he used to draft them. So he was still able to use the QBs to improve the team.

I also liked developing some young talent when Wolf was around in case something ever happened to Brett. We've been very fortunate Brett has been able to stay on the field the last few years with Pederson as his backup. Everyone talks about replacing Brett someday, but we haven't even been able to find a decent backup the last few years, much less a starter to replace Brett someday.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed AZ - Sherman just doesn't have the insight like Wolf did with getting players - it's like a Chess game.... I guess Sherman's probably only good at Cribbage, ya think?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Agreed AZ - Sherman just doesn't have the insight like Wolf did with getting players - it's like a Chess game.... I guess Sherman's probably only good at Cribbage, ya think?

That's pretty close. I'd say Wolf was a chess player when it came to the draft, but I'd compare Wolf more to a Poker player when it came to trades and free agency. In most cases he knew when to bluff, when to hold them, and when to fold them.

PackerWacky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd worry about Brees. First, he's had one great year. Second, his size might be a problem over the long haul, more prone to injuries. Also, AFC West defenses weren't exactly lighting the league on fire. Come to think of it, neither were the NFC North teams.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerWacky said:
I'd worry about Brees. First, he's had one great year. Second, his size might be a problem over the long haul, more prone to injuries. Also, AFC West defenses weren't exactly lighting the league on fire. Come to think of it, neither were the NFC North teams.

agreed...at the same time the team has definately gelled around him and managed to put together a great season, with a lousy finish. i just think it would be foolish of them to put all their eggs in the rivers basket.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I also liked developing some young talent when Wolf was around in case something ever happened to Brett. We've been very fortunate Brett has been able to stay on the field the last few years with Pederson as his backup. Everyone talks about replacing Brett someday, but we haven't even been able to find a decent backup the last few years, much less a starter to replace Brett someday.

I agree, but I also understand how many starter calilber QB's are gonna come to GB knowing they will not see the field?

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nall

i would like to see what Nall has got, he looked pretty decent in the little time he got to play (true most of it was against the Bears), but give the guy a chance, i dont see us getting brees, i heard he is going to be franchised. and the CFL guys are just as unproven in the NFL as Nall. i say pick up Alex Smith, or Orton from Purdue in the draft and see what happens. lets all just hope that Brett is around for at least 1 more year to lead the Pack

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would like to see what Nall has got, he looked pretty decent in the little time he got to play (true most of it was against the Bears), but give the guy a chance
I totally agree with this, Craig Nall has 3 years of learning the Packer system and has performed excellent in his mop up duties....pre season. This guy was assigned to NFL europe and tore it up there also. He was named All NFL europe and lead the league with 18 touchdowns-2050 yards passing-and a QB rating of 95.6. You could be sure we would get a three year contract with Craig that would be very cap friendly... something that could let us persue needed defensive help.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
would like to see what Nall has got, he looked pretty decent in the little time he got to play (true most of it was against the Bears), but give the guy a chance
I totally agree with this, Craig Nall has 3 years of learning the Packer system and has performed excellent in his mop up duties....pre season. This guy was assigned to NFL europe and tore it up there also. He was named All NFL europe and lead the league with 18 touchdowns-2050 yards passing-and a QB rating of 95.6. You could be sure we would get a three year contract with Craig that would be very cap friendly... something that could let us persue needed defensive help.

tell me what this 29th pick in the 5th round of the draft in 2002 can do that a first round draft pick rookie QB can't? Except for knowing the plays? He would come into the league as a starter with the confidence of a rookie..

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tell me what this 29th pick in the 5th round of the draft in 2002 can do that a first round draft pick rookie QB can't? Except for knowing the plays? He would come into the league as a starter with the confidence of a rookie..

You have a twisted sense of thinking just because a person is not a first round over paid draft choice, he can't be great in the league. Joe Montana was a third round draft choice...Bart Starr was a 17th round draft choice...Dan fouts was a 3rd round draft choice...the great Johnny Unitas was a free agent pick up for the Colts...What do all these non first rounders have in common???????? They are HALL OF FAMERS!!!!
Hell Brett Farve is a second round pick.
Craig Nall can bring three years of timing with Packer recievers to the table. A complete Packer play book to the table. Four years of growth as a football player to the table. His NFL europe experence to the table. Also this kid has looked DAMN GOOD any time he has walked on to the Field.
The real bonus with Craig Nall is he won't need a 3 million dollar signing bonus to play QB, like your unproven first round pick.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to take a QB in the second or third round. Possibly:

Kyle Orten
Dan Orlovski
Charlie Frye
Andrew Walter

There are several more that would make a good 2nd/3rd round pick, but these four are the ones I like the most that the Packers will hopefully have a legitimate shot at getting. If any of these guys are avaiable after the first round, the Packers should take one of them.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we need defense but very few rookies come in and make an immediate impact (Johnson and Rolle) I think we need to use one of the second round picks to prepare for life after Favre.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be, depending on whether guys like James, or Shazor are available before hand or not - that the Packers will.... go after a QB in the 3rd round - it all depends on what's left of the pickins... the sad part this year, as in the last 3, is that the Pack have no cap room at all. That's why you're seein' all these reports out there about Sharper, Franks, Wahle, etc. They need to free up some cap room and only someone like TT can ever possibly do that - trouble is, Sherman has placed us between a rock & the proverbial hard place - so TT is not gonna get all that much done this year without letting go of some very good players and implement a rebuild immediately... if they hang on to Sharper -, it'll be two - three - years before we see things more in line... by then, Favre "will" be gone!

In the Draft side - I like 1)Orton, from Purdue & 2)Fryer... I saw Charlie play a couple of times - tough QB... good instincts. One thing though - I would make sure we get a "taller" QB, more in line with Daunte, or McNabb... shorter QB's just can't do reads down the field as well.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Orton off your wish list. His is consistantly inconsistant and he can't handle the pressure in the big must win games. He played high school ball right here in Des Moines. I'm speaking from experience. The kid has an excellent arm, but you never know where he is going to throw it. I think he could make it in the NFL but he would need some work. I wouldn't waste an early pick on him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts