Attention Brian G, Fix This Offensive Line Please

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well get a damn OL to open up the holes, and even on the short passes, Rodgers has still been under duress.

We've done enough stupid defensive drafts, now do something about the damn OL. Brian G must fix it and fix it yesterday.

You dont need to draft an RT in the middle of the first round. You can get good ones rounds 2 through 3 or at the bottom of the first. The hard part with OTs is getting one who projects at the LT spot, thankfully we're good there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would help if we A) ran the ball more, and B) if aaron would learn to get rid of it faster. He loves to sit back there and take his sweet time. When is the last time that we saw Aaron run a quick throw offense with the ball consistently coming out in 2.5 seconds? When is the last time that we saw him ride the run game?

Saw couple of plays last night they were obviously quick throws. But then Aaron started to dance, and they turned into freelance.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So just to recap people are now penciling in a OLB ×2, Saftey ×2, Tackle and another playmaking WR/TE early in the draft

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So just to recap people are now penciling in a OLB ×2, Saftey ×2, Tackle and another playmaking WR/TE early in the draft
Well we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds... so that should cover 4 out of 6 lol.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Having his way" out there is hyperbole. He had a really good game. Hes also a really ******* good player

And so is Khalil Mack and Lindvall Joseph and Ziggy. So let's draft an elite OL so we got really good players protecting our $30+ million QB.

I live by the philosophy of you can't ever have too many playmakers on offense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O-line needs to improve, but the play calling (as discussed elsewhere) can make up for it. I also think that fans get too caught up in the "priorities" of where you draft players in which round. If you draft players that contribute, it doesn't matter what round you got them in. You can draft OL in the 1st round but it still doesn't mean squat unless they become a starter. If you pick a Mark Tauscher in the 7th round, they still need to be a starter.

Every GM starts off with seven picks and can add or lose a few through trades, etc. The goal is to get as many of those players to become starters (or strong contributors) regardless of position in the draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you pick a Mark Tauscher in the 7th round, they still need to be a starter.
I thought it was funny when everyone was bemoaning the 7th rounder we got for Montgomery and how worthless it was, and Tauscher said something to the effect of, Hey, 7th Rounders have feelings too. :)

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O-line needs to improve, but the play calling (as discussed elsewhere) can make up for it. I also think that fans get too caught up in the "priorities" of where you draft players in which round. If you draft players that contribute, it doesn't matter what round you got them in. You can draft OL in the 1st round but it still doesn't mean squat unless they become a starter. If you pick a Mark Tauscher in the 7th round, they still need to be a starter.

Every GM starts off with seven picks and can add or lose a few through trades, etc. The goal is to get as many of those players to become starters (or strong contributors) regardless of position in the draft.

I just feel frustrated that we didn't draft Sitton and Lang's replacements sooner and that WRs like MVS and ESB were not grabbed sooner so they could have been developed and be in perfect chemistry with Rodgers by now. I'll hold MM responsible where he should be, but I feel this offense is behind schedule because Ted Thompson screwed him.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O
Disagree! Anything short of beefed up OL up front keeping Rodgers upright will not do.

No more of these ridiculous defensive drafts. Go all offense, beef up the OL and give Rodgers more weapons.
They were only ridiculous because Teddy didn't know what the hell he was doing. Judging by Gutey's first draft, we have a GM light years ahead of the last one.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense was terrible and everybody here bemoaned the lack of priority that TT put on it. He made it a priority (not just because of the Packer Forum I hope!) but swung and missed. The point is that no matter where you draft a position, make it count by drafting a guy that can play.

Looking at my tracking spreadsheet, here is how TT stacked up to his predecessors:

Percentage of OL drafted during entire tenure:
18% Ted Thompson
16% Ron Wolf
14% Mike Sherman

Average Draft Round:
3.9 Ron Wolf
4.3 Ted Thompson
6.3 Mike Sherman

While TT drafted OL more often per draft than his predecessors, Wolf drafted them in the higher rounds. **Sherman's downfall was essentially ignoring the OL. He drafted two duds in Mike Houghton and Brennan Curtin during the 6th round and lucking out with Scott Wells in the 7th round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O

They were only ridiculous because Teddy didn't know what the hell he was doing. Judging by Gutey's first draft, we have a GM light years ahead of the last one.
Because Ted never had good drafts? LOL

He's had a couple stinkers that's for sure, and some absolute knockouts. Even if just one super star deep. Gutey had a really good 1st draft. I hope it continues, but give a man enough opportunities, he's sure to muck up a couple of them on his way to being very good or very bad or very average.

anyway, posts like these prove that people easily forget what has happened, don't appreciate what it takes to do anything meaningful, or just don't care.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't call allowing Trey Flowers to have his way out there bad? Ridiculous!
please. the o-line were pretty solid. sure the Pats had their moments, as the Packers did, but overall they were good enough to win even with Spriggs playing. the problem is holding the ball too long, calling slow developing plays, putting too much emphasis on the big play and not on moving the chains, getting away from running when it's working, lining guys up where they can't succeed as much (cobb/graham outside), etc.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers truly cared they’d sign some RG or RT who could actually block. Instead we have 4 or 5 Tightends on the active roster smh

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Ted never had good drafts? LOL

He's had a couple stinkers that's for sure, and some absolute knockouts. Even if just one super star deep. Gutey had a really good 1st draft. I hope it continues, but give a man enough opportunities, he's sure to muck up a couple of them on his way to being very good or very bad or very average.

anyway, posts like these prove that people easily forget what has happened, don't appreciate what it takes to do anything meaningful, or just don't care.
Agreed.... Thompson’ first draft yielded... Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, and Brady Poppinga among others. His second... AJ Hawk and Greg Jennings. I’m happy with Gutenkunst so far, but let’s not start rewriting history after one draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Man, Rodgers keeps getting knocked around too much back there. Sure sometimes he hangs onto that a little long, but I keep seeing these guys get bull rushed right out of their stances.

Brian Bulaga is done. Too many ridiculous injuries and it's costing us. Lane Taylor is failing and needs to be replaced.

No more defensive picks in the early draft rounds. Draft the hogs up front to protect our QB, that is a must, and the biggest failure on your predecessor's part.

The Packers offensive line is rated fourth in the league in pass blocking by PFF. It's true that they're giving up pressures occasionally but the team has more pressing needs to address at edge rusher and safety.

In the last 5 drafts we’ve picked just 1 lineman before the 3rd day leftovers!!!

It's possible to draft quality offensive linemen on day three of the draft. Just take a look at Thompson selecting the best left tackle in the league in Bakhtiari in the fourth round.

It would help if we A) ran the ball more, and B) if aaron would learn to get rid of it faster. He loves to sit back there and take his sweet time. When is the last time that we saw Aaron run a quick throw offense with the ball consistently coming out in 2.5 seconds? When is the last time that we saw him ride the run game?

Rodgers has thrown more passes (164) in less than 2.5 seconds than on which it took him longer than that (161). Interestingly his passer rating is higher on plays that take longer to develop (101.5 compared to 97.7).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And so is Khalil Mack and Lindvall Joseph and Ziggy. So let's draft an elite OL so we got really good players protecting our $30+ million QB.

I live by the philosophy of you can't ever have too many playmakers on offense.

Don't quite follow. Playmakers are the skill position guys, right? So, while the Pack has a dearth of anybody except Adams that scares opposing defenses, you recommend spending the draft capital on the hogs? Seems to say they need more of everything on the offensive side.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I suspect after tonight Brian G realizes his old boss going all in on defense the last few years screwed us over bad. I'll give him a little time to right this, but it's absolutely ridiculous the way we gotta see the OL cave in every down and Rodgers run for his life.

Mark Murphy needs to order the front office to fix the OL pronto this offseason.

Mark Murphy shouldn’t get involved.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lane Taylor doesn’t need to get removed from the lineup, he just needs to get moved to RG. He can’t handle 3T’s very well right now.

I’m sure Gute will fix it. Good thing we have two first round picks and FA coming.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't quite follow. Playmakers are the skill position guys, right? So, while the Pack has a dearth of anybody except Adams that scares opposing defenses, you recommend spending the draft capital on the hogs? Seems to say they need more of everything on the offensive side.

The OL is just one priority. Basically I'm just saying that along with loading up on other RBs, WRs and whatever other offense weapons should be priority. Bottom line is we don't need any more of defense drafting nonsense.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the two picks in the first round should definitely be an edge rusher. I wouldn't mind drafting an OL with the other pick, but if we were to go offense I would prefer to draft OL in the second round (as I also am of the opinion that good ones can be found during the later rounds) and add another skill position player, preferably a RB. Sure, Aaron Jones has the best YPC in the league, but I am not confident he can be as efficient with more carries. Jamaal Williams has proven to be nothing more than a solid back up.

The last years we really were succesful on offense was with Lacy. Kamara basically singlehandedly transformed the Saints from a middle of the pack team to a SB contender. Having the opponent fear both the run and pass is deadly when your QB is named Brees, or Rodgers for that matter.

Adding a FS should also be of utmost importance though. If these 4 positions were to be addressed during the first 3 rounds, I'd be pretty ecstatic.

Reaction score
I agree with drafting OL but my point is it's a crap shoot where we normally pick as evidenced by Sherrod and Springs
Bulaga is DONE
Sitton, Lang, Linsely and Tretter were all LATE round picks though
The top Lineman we picked in the last 10 years was Brian Bulaga. While he has largely been injured, he is one of the better OT on the field overall. Bulaga was 23rd overall and realistically you’re premier talent selection are generally gone towards the end of the 1sr round IMO so he was on the fringe. That’s not saying there’s not exceptions but by and large a mid first rounder is far more likely to be a long term solution than say.. a mid 2nd rounder (Spriggs)
Sherrod was an OT but was picked using the very last pick of round 1 at #32 (much like King at #33).
Now at other skill positions (WR, RB etc..) there seems to be a larger crop of talent and waiting to pick at #100 may be ok. Sitton, Lang, Lindsey and Tretter play inside and IMO that’s a position you can develop faster without being readily exposed as much. Bak was a mid rounder but if you remember took several years to blossom. It works similar with the Defense in that your Edge players get found out early, especially if they can’t set an Edge!

Bulaga is talented but aging. Even IF he comes back he’s got 1-2 good years left best case. We can’t afford to continue gambling at OT like TT did since 2011. Rodgers IS this team. #12 needs to continue have one of the best pass blocking O lines in the league, not mediocre, not bottom half..best. But we would also benefit by being a top Run blocking OL. Imagine having an OG that could blow a DT off his feet at the 1yard line vs getting embarrassed (Taylor)

You don’t get the best OT in the league by picking 1 OT in 8 years inside the top #100 overall (Spriggs was an afterthought and a 2nd rounder I might add). We now know that TT knew that TT missed at OT round 1 (due to other priorities) and the packaging picks to trade up round 2 for Spriggs was internal desperation because he equally needed an OT and chose lesser of 2 evils (CB) round first day.

We need a legit 1st rounder OT and we really should use at least one of our 1st 2 picks.. including pairing a 3rd or 4th round pick to move up the board a little (as in the case of our Saints pick). The OG can come either through FA or between rounds 3-4. Personally I’d draft one by the close of round 4 AND sign another veteran OG in FA. Spriggs may win the OT battle? but there will never be “too much” competition at that position while #12 is still playing.

Don’t take this the wrong way, im not opposed to grabbing another OT in round 5 or 6, especially if they show promise as a Center or OG. I just think we’ve ignored getting another solid bookend for too long now because we’ve been focused on rebuilding the D.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts