Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS 33, FALCONS 25

Blindsided out of first
Knocked off perch as 1-7 Green Bay surprises

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/14/05

In the NFL, some losses can be chalked up in the cliché category: "On any given Sunday ... You can't win 'em all."

The Falcons' 33-25 loss to the downtrodden and injury-plagued Green Bay Packers Sunday before a Georgia Dome crowd that, near the end, was made up of Cheeseheads screaming "Go Pack Go," well, veteran linebacker Ike Reese explains.

"It stinks," he said.

Not the feeling, Reese said, the performance.

"Some of it was due to the fact that we played a 1-7 team," Reese said, not factoring in the Packers' second victory, courtesy of Sunday's outcome. "Good teams know how to put a team like that away. Carolina put the Jets away easily. You can't allow the game to fester. Good teams come in, take care of their business and get out. To me we are a good team, but at the same time, every once in a while you see where our maturity level is not where it needs to be."

The postgame mood wasn't like that of a loss when a team gets outplayed. It was one where players realized — four quarters too late — that this was the type of defeat that could come back to haunt them. Carolina (7-2) took sole possession of the NFC South and Tampa Bay moved into a second-place tie with Atlanta (6-3), which lost in the Dome under coach Jim Mora for just the third time.

Atlanta now gets into the meat of its conference schedule, playing host to Tampa Bay next week before sandwiching Carolina and New Orleans around a Thanksgiving Day game at Detroit.

As upset as Falcons players and coaches were, there was no finger-pointing. That's because everyone was to blame.

Packers quarterback Brett Favre spearheaded the dismantling. Probably playing his last game in Atlanta, the 15-year veteran left an impression that no one who saw his dissection of the Falcons will soon forget. Favre completed passes to eight receivers in the flat, across the middle, underneath — but not deep — to finish 26-for-39 for 252 yards and a touchdown.

There were times when he was so in tune, even when Falcons defenders were close to the receivers, he rifled the ball where only they could catch it. And they caught it. He led the Packers to touchdown drives on their first two possessions to rattle the Falcons like they hadn't been shaken this season — even when they fell behind 21-0 to Seattle.

"He's an incredible competitor, and you have to expect that guy to show up when you're playing them," Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney said.

Added Mora: "How many times have we seen him make those types of plays like he did on that third down, where he just eludes someone's grasp and however he gets it there, he gets it done? I've always said that my two favorite players in the history of the game are Ronnie Lott and Brett Favre."

Mora probably couldn't name two of his favorite players from Sunday's game. Atlanta turned the ball over three times (it fumbled six times, total), struggled in the return game — again — and allowed 351 total yards, 103 rushing to Samkon Gado, an undrafted rookie making his first start.

Falcons players said Packers coach Mike Sherman, who fired Ed Donatell as his defensive coordinator before Mora hired him after being named head coach in 2004, exploited their defensive tendencies.

"I just think they had a better game plan," Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall said. "I think Coach Sherman came out here and did his homework and executed to perfection."

Quarterback Michael Vick completed 20 of 30 passes for 209 yards, his second straight game surpassing 200 yards. However, he opened the game by being penalized for throwing a pass after he'd run beyond the line of scrimmage, fumbled three times, losing one, and rarely found his rhythm because of Green Bay's unrelenting pressure.

Vick mishandled the snap on his second fumble and center Todd McClure recovered, but the near turnover in the fourth quarter came on third down when the Falcons were on Green Bay's 13-yard line. Instead of having a chance to score a needed touchdown, they settled for a Todd Peterson field goal that brought them to 23-17.

Wide receiver Roddy White fumbled on Atlanta's next possession after a catch deep in Falcons territory. On the next possession, Gado scored his third career touchdown.

"I don't think we were flat, we just didn't do what it took," Vick said. "We've got to put points on the board, you can't turn the ball over, and we did."

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So their 2nd year cornerback knows who Mike Sherman is, even calling him "Coach Sherman", yet Vick drops that "Brent" bomb?:p

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He's an incredible competitor, and you have to expect that guy to show up when you're playing them," Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney said.

Added Mora: "How many times have we seen him make those types of plays like he did on that third down, where he just eludes someone's grasp and however he gets it there, he gets it done? I've always said that my two favorite players in the history of the game are Ronnie Lott and Brett Favre."

No doubt, another great performance by the future HOF QB.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a good read. It was interesting to hear the Falcons viewpoints of the Packers, especially the part about Sherman exploiting Ed Donatell's defense. I wonder if some Falcons players are unhappy with Ed, as it sounded kind of like a shot at Donatell?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
You won't see pack66 comment on this.

Yeah - he will - not right away, though.....

I was glad this time around to see a change in emphasis by the whole Team. You could tell the Team, itself, was thinking "REVENGE", for the whuppin, from a couple of years ago ending the Mystique at Lambeau. Ol' Ron Mexico thought he was King that day --- this time around, I didn't see any cockiness after Favre got thru with him - THAT, my fellow Cheeseheads, was downright RIGHTEOUS --- You would have thought he'd be a big enough man to hold his head up and take it like a man - but all I saw was him hanging his head over on the bench.. at least Favre will stay standing most of the time....

The change in emphasis I'm talking about - was letting Favre play the "WCO"
This time around - I didn't see Sherman pulling the horses back - he just let 'em run...... and run, they did.... and how..!

7 minutes into the 1st Quarter and it's 14-zip? What_ya_gonna_do, eh? That's a helluva pace to set. This time around, it wasn't College ball, until (for a short time) around the middle of the 2nd quarter, which allowed the Falcons to get back in it - but, then. you saw Favre out there CHEWIN' the Offense out for slackin' off -- and dang right, HE MEANT IT.... I was glad to see him blow his top, seriously...

And what can ya say about Samkon Gado..? Simply amazing.
Sherman would be a fool to let this guy get away anytime in the near future. I hope he can stay healthy longer than Terrell Davis....

A DAMN FINE GAME!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB said...

"The change in emphasis I'm talking about - was letting Favre play the "WCO"
This time around - I didn't see Sherman pulling the horses back - he just let 'em run...... and run, they did.... and how..! "

Why can't they do this all the time...Do you mean to tell me that you do not see a difference in terms of this type of game and the usual conservative BS...

Why is there a difference? Is there some kind of tug of war going on between Rossley and Sherman? Did Favre audibilize out of alot of calls and essentially call his own game?

"What the hell is going on out there.." (V. Lombardi)

(and don't tell me "that the players finally executed the plays because i don't buy that nonsense..")

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it 66...the players finally executed. Favre didn't throw multiple picks, the fumbles that did hit the turf were recovered by the Packers, the defense forced some turnovers and got pressure on Vick, Longwell made his FG's, etc...

If those aren't reasons why the Packers won the game, I guess I watched a different ball game IMO.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah...ND...

and I guess Mike Sherman's the next Vince Lombardi too....right?

(Don't misquote me on this DePack...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
yeah...ND...

How the heck does what you just said in any way pertain to what ND said?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
yeah...ND...

I guess I'm not really sure that I said MS was the next Lombardi, you did. I just said that the mistakes we've had in the previous losses didn't happen as much this game which, in essence, is why the Packers won. Why is it that everytime the Packers lose, it's only Sherman's fault, and when they win, he doesn't get any of the credit? :roll:

You should try to be more of a Packer fan instead of a Brett Favre fan, it's much more fun. :)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Falcons players said Packers coach Mike Sherman, who fired Ed Donatell as his defensive coordinator before Mora hired him after being named head coach in 2004, exploited their defensive tendencies."

"I just think they had a better game plan," Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall said. "I think Coach Sherman came out here and did his homework and executed to perfection."

I am sorry Guys and Girls.... I have to call Bull S#*T on this.

Either this writer is a big Sherman fan, or this post has been altered as it is not a direct link. Now I know NET, and he would not alter an article. So that puts this on the writer.

There is no way that players on the Falcons are going to be praising an opposing coach like this... "I Think Coach Sherman came out here and did his homework." Hall has an agenda if he said that.

If he said I think "The Packers came out here and did there homework" I can buy that... A Player will credit the player... Not the coach.

Something smells like cheese. For him to single out the team they just lost to. and praise the coach of a team that is 2-7 as being the reason for the win is just too wierd.

What he is saying is my head coach was out coached by a coach who is 2-7, and players do not say that unless they have some agenda.

Net... Great post, great read. However, something is wrong with the writer. There is an agenda in this article.

R.P.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Do you think that Vick knows his name now? :D

Well, in private... I'm sure he's cursing his good name....
I'm gonna have to find a pic of Mexico sittin' on the bench, hangin' his head....

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Reese forgot that even if Greenbay was 1-7 that they were in every game till the end and should of won most of them.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider pride--The writer and Falcon players gave the Packer team their correct assessment of what happen out there, when a 1-7 packer team finally correct many of the mistakes they had been making for 7 games .losing five games by a total of 16 points. This accomplishment was done by the Packers without most of their key players on offense, with a Running Back just off the street. We know anyone who follows the Raiders would not expect the Raiders to say anything that is that "classy" about the undermaned 1-7 opponet who has just beat them, as Falcons said about the Packers. Your Post about Packers win in Atlanta was "bush league"

Members online

Latest posts