1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Atheism

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Lynch, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynch

Lynch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone a Atheist in this forum

I am, just wonder if anyone else is

2. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I am not. I was raised in a Pentecostal church and currently attend a Southern Baptist church (though maintain many of my Pentecostal beliefs.)

I am not sure if a religious discussion will be allowed on this forum -- as it tends to lead to more arguments than intelligent discussion since it deals with the core of who we are and we can be easily offended by differing views.

Should you wish to share your beliefs and allow me to share mine, I would be happy to discuss them with you. Please PM me anytime.

3. Lynch

Lynch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ok I will

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a strong belief in God. It not only has got me through rough times, but has warned me of danger and kept me from accidents several times.
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can look around and see all that there is, and believe it all just happened by accident.
    I believe in Heaven and Hell. I believe that by accepting Christ into your heart you can be assured of eternity in Heaven.
    Plus look at it this way.............If you are right, and there is no God, you just cease to exist when you die. If I am right, my choice lets me spend eternity in Heaven with God and many people that I love.
    If I end up being wrong, what have I lost? I won't know or care if you are right and there ends up being nothing after this world.
    However, if I am right, you have everything to lose.
    I'm in a "win win" situation. My accepting God and trying to live my life in a Godly way helps me to be a good person to others. If there is no God, then anything goes. If theres no one to answer to, who cares what you do to others? I think thats one of the major problems in todays world.
    It's a "Hooray for me, and screw you" attitude that prevails in todays system of things.
    Just my opinion of course.

5. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Should we have an Over/Under for how many hours before this one gets locked? ;)
    Heck, we got an Over/Under for just about everything else.

Speaking of Heck, I got a joke for you Lynch.

Do you know what Heck is?
    It's where you go when you die if you constantly curse Gosh.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't get me wrong..........I never try to force my beliefs on anyone. But I look at it this way, if I truely believe that if someone doesn't believe that they will go to Hell for eternity, I want to warn them so they don't end up there!
    I care about you Lynch, and I just want whats best for you. Thats all i want.
    NOT trying to force anything on anyone.

7. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I study the bible when I can and I have an understanding on this fact, we are close to the end time. When the end comes there will be a false prophet (satan) trying to get people to believe he is god, and he will be here in a 5 month period and when that period is over the REAL Christ will show and make earth the new Heaven.

8. Lynch

Lynch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [align=left]It´s quite facinating to read all of your opinions. I´va have myself studied a little bit of the bible to just see what it is and listen to them who have analyzed it. It´s very intresting to read how much cruelty their is in it, no offence to you who realy belive in the bible and it´s gods words and all that. But for me is it hard to belive that anyone who is a good god to say that it´s right to beat your own kids and that he would drown the whole world plust that he killed every first born baby in egypt, wow god is real fair and good god huh . If he would flood world and just let two persons live then everyone should be white and every one should be crazy and have one leg,three arms because of the inbreed(or what it´s called).
    It´s proven that earth have existed for milions of years , even bilion, when according to the bible has it just existing for just some thousand years. Some say that science isn´t reible because it changes alot but that´s because we who belive in science can change diffrent things if we found something that is more correct, which they who belive in the bible can´t because everything in that book is the truth, which they claim.

By the way if everyone who don´t belive in god woúld go to hell then half of the earth´s population is in a big truoble huh? Why didn´t any christiona/Muslim/jewish profet end up in china, japan or India?
    [/align]

9. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Zombie,

The Terms of use for Packerforum prohibit the following type of posts:

Please do not post:
    -Racist remarks
    -Excessive profanity
    -Sexual harassment
    -Religious persecution
    -Remarks that serve no substantial purpose other than to antagonize another person i.e Flamming or Trolling
    -Bigoted remarks
    -Soliciting or advertising
    -Posts which are illegal, or that endorse, encourage or enable the commission of illegal acts (such as posting information about constructing bombs or stealing copyrighted media)
    -Posting personal information without the express permission of the subject
    -Posting false information. Opinions are welcome but lies about facts are libelous
    -Posts that contain sexually explicit language
    -Posts that are designed to cause some technical problem for the system
    -Posts that seem specifically designed just to test the limits of what is not offensive and seem to serve no other purpose including boosting your post count
    -Any other post that shall, at the sole discretion of PackerForum.com owners, operators, managers or employees, be deemed offensive
    -Posting links to locations which violate any of the use terms
    -Political threads, thoughts, comments etc.

Since we have not attacked one another's beliefs but are just openly discussing our beliefs and who we are, I do not think it should be locked. We are not persecuting Lynch -- in fact, quite the opposite, we respond because we care.

That being said, it will stay open as long as God wants it to.

Until the person that He intends to respond to Lynch has done so.

At the time in which it has served His purpose, someone will lock it.

(What kind of pressure will this put on the Mods??) :thumbsup:

A better question may be WHO will say something that gets it locked. :rotflmao:

10. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lynch,

Nearly every civilization has a story of a flood (or Great Deluge), in which there is one surviving couple or family -- which become the ancestors of us all. Flood Stories From Around TheWorld

That, in itself, would indicate to me that it did indeed occur. Not just because the Bible (and Koran) say so but nearly EVERY civilization bore witness to it in remarkably similar stories. There would be nothing to say that Noah and his descendants are white -- in fact they would have originated from a more Middle Eastern climate.

But the dispersion of the races did not come until a later time -- at the Tower of Babel. The difference in language, skin color and culture would have come about as these groups moved out to the various climates and geographical locations. For example, an Eskimo would develop a different skin color and skin thickness than someone living in the Bahamas -- due to differing exposures to the sun and heat (and cold). Mountain people would develop more expansive lungs to survive in the thinner air.

But they all refer back to a similar event -- the Flood in which God (or their version of God) judged a wicked and evil world for their sin.

As far as the inbreeding, man was not as polluted then as we are now. With the onset of disease and things such as that, inbreeding causes a greater chance of deficient qualities in our DNA to be evident. Their DNA would not have been corrupted to a point that both recessive genes would reveal themselves. Also, specific bans on closely related intercourse did not come until later (Leviticus 18).

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good post Packfaninsc!
    God does not condone beating your children. He says "spare the rod, spoil the child." A spanking does not equal a beating. If you don't teach your children that there are consequences for their actions, they get the opinion that they can do anything and not be punished for it. That is why our world is so messed up today, where literally every day there are dozens if not hundreds of people murdered across this country. If you are taught to respect others, and the law when you are little, you usually grow up to be a law abiding citizen. I was given spankings when i was little.......and looking back i didn't get them as often as i deserved! But my Mom and Dad taught me respect for the law, and for what they said. They disciplined with love. It didn't mess me up, it taught me that if i disobeyed there were consequences. I was never "beaten", not even close.
    As far as the earth being "millions of years old", there is no scientific proof of that. The evolutionist TRY to say they have proof, but they don't. If evolution was true, why are there no animals evolving now? Why are there still monkeys if we came from them? Wouldn't they have evolved too? The dinosaurs went extinct during the flood, not "millions of years ago." Plus Noah was to take two of each "kind" of animal onto the ark. Thus, in order to have dogs, wolves, foxes and so on, he only had to take a pair of them onto the ark. Dogs and wolves and foxes are the same kind of animal. You can cross breed wolves, dogs, and so on and you will get a different variation of dog, but you will never get a cat or horse out of it.

Pharoah was warned to let God's people go from Egypt several times, but refused. God sent different plagues to get him to let them go from bondage, but Pharoah would not do it. So who's fault was it that all the first born of Egypt were killed? Had Pharoah obeyed God, it never would have had to happen. There again, he was warned there would be consequences for his actions, and he made the choice to disobey God. PHAROAH was the one who caused the first born to die.
    Now.....who of us would have seen the things Pharoah saw with his own eyes, and STILL remained defiant to God? I'll tell you what, if i saw the Nile river literally turned to blood, frogs appearing all over the place, gnats on every man and beast, every animal, cattle, horses, camels all die, boils on every person, a heavy hail unlike anything that had ever been seen, and swarms of locusts which all had been fortold by Moses before they happened, I think I would have listened WAY before all these things happened. But Pharoah didn't, and God had to do what was necessary to get him to let God's people go.
    I don't think God took any pleasure in doing ANY of those things.
    Thats why God has prepared the sacrifice of Christ for us. He takes no pleasure in our suffering, he wanted Adam and Eve to remain perfect. They only had ONE thing that they were told not to do, yet they did it anyway. And God TOLD them what would happen if they disobeyed on this ONE thing. God gave them a free will, and look what they chose to do with it! If God had not followed through with what he said would happen if they disobeyed, he would be a liar.
    The cruelty there is in the Bible can be all traced down to sinful man, not to God. God made this world perfect, and wanted it to stay that way. Mankind messed that up, and has been messing up ever since.

12. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is but one God....and he roots for the Packers!

13. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    So this doesn't merit a lock? Hmm, kind of hypocritical.

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    What do you think the "G" on the side of their helmet stands for??? :thumbsup:

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    How so? There hasn't been any personal attacks, it's all been civil discussion as far as I can see.
    I have a friend thats an atheist, and we had several good discussions.
    All i am giving is my opinions on what i have learned over my lifespan. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I know that will not happen.

16. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    So far, IMHO, one of the best discussions I have seen on the site. no need whatsoever for locking, yet. I am not sure what Zero saw that, in his opinion, merits a lock.

Lynch, The Christian God I know is a just God. that means setting expectations and providing consequences for not meeting those expectations. This analogy might help.

A judge was in his courtroom presiding over the cases when one came that really saddened him. It was his daughter. She had been caught speeding. He knew that she could not pay the fine. However, his justness had to find her guilty. She of course was shocked. How could my father do this!" she thought. After making the ruling, the Judge took off his robe, stood behind her, and said "As her father who loves her, I will pay for her fine". All the daughter had to do was accept his gift and she was free.

The fine for disobeying God is eternal seperation from him. Death. To be just, we are all seperated from him for the original sin. However, he put his son on this earth to pay for our fine. All we have to do is accept him and we are accepted back into God's presence for eternity.

If you have a child, you can understand God's relationship with us. I love my son. However, at times, as painful as it is, I must discipline (means to desciple or teach) him so that he will be a better person. That is how God relates to us. We can't do anything to cause him not to love us. We can however do things to cause discipline (consequences). Unfortunately, we as a world do not learn as easily as children.

God's gift to you is eternal salvation. All you have to do is acknowledge what he did and accept it. Those who never knew of Jesus' sacrifice will be judged under God's mercy....as with little kids. However, those who know of him and make the choice to refute him will have earned seperation from him. If that is half the world, sadly, so be it.

17. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

The Bible is clear that we are judged according to our understanding

There are countless reports of missionaries encountering people who, upon hearing about Jesus, say that they had already known that -- just did not have a name for Him. That is because the Holy Spirit works in our hearts and reveals God to us -- whether we have a biblical head knowledge of Him or not.

So, those who have never heard the name of Jesus will still be judged -- according to how they have responded to the Spirit's urgings and not necessarily because they have prayed in Jesus' name.

18. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Give this deep thought. Real deep thought.

If God actually does not exist.. Then it is a not possible for an atheist to exist.

R.P. does not need to explain this to the deep thinkers on this forum.

19. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, some riveting stuff RP.

Mind me asking, is that from St. Anslem? It reminds me very much of another assertion that he made.

20. Lynch

Lynch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [align=left]Why would it not be poissble? we are existing, right?

Anyway In my country is the belif in good lowly diying as it has been the latest hundred years. 25% is offcial Atheist, I don´t know the rest of number I have to say I can write that later. But there many who don´t know were they stand, many have converted to other religons as Budhism and other, above half of the population is not memebr of the church and some are deep belivers. Even swedens former bishop didn´t bleive in miracales himself and many priest don´t longer belive in that god dreated the world in six days instead the belive in evolution. They who belive in god or jesus do belive but they have bend their faith and just refer to the bible in a small way. The only really deep belivers are muslims, jews and those who are in chrsitian cults.[/align]

21. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Just looking for some consistency that's all.

22. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    I see where you're coming from, but it's just that the topic is an interesting discussion, where no one has yet to be offended, and most importantly it's such a slow time right now that this topic can just make the off-season go a little faster.

23. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    As St. Anslem said:

Even the atheist, who denies that God exists, must be able to conceive of God in order to know what he denies.

Suppose that God does not exist. Then the atheist can nevertheless conceive of God as existing and therby conceive of something greater than God.

But, by definition God is that than which nothing greater can be conceived.. Hence the atheist's supposition leads to contradiction.

Therefore God exists.

24. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    But Lynch, I think you have a valid point.

I've found myself recently questioning faith also.

I am just puzzled at why God allows so many deaths of good people due to violence, etc.

I'm also starting to think that religion gives corrupt individual too much power.

I can understand where you're coming from, because I'm traveling that road a bit myself.

But I don't think I can ever deny the existence of God for one simple reason: comfort.

Knowing there is an all powerful Being I can turn to for help, is very comforting for me.

25. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    WoW.

http://www.packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11260

And that wasn't interesting especially when we are just hours away from our Independence Day.

It is the off-season. PF.com has a half dozen mods and you can't weed out the shithead posts to save a good discussion? Rather just lock and abandon?

Horrible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.