At The Game Yesterday......

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the second half started, I looked to my buddy and said, "I HOPE MS doesn't get all conservative on us in the 2nd half because he has a nice lead."

Oh well....shoulda known better! Talk all you wish about Longwell's missed FGs...talk all you wish about the injuries.......the bottom line is that Sherman went away from what was working, the tight ends, and as a final stab to the heart, made the decision to put the game in the hands of 3rd string RB Tony Fisher, not in the hands of Brett Favre. This was a HORRIBLE defense we faced yesterday...and they were never challenged once a lead was obtained.

Bottom line is that Sherman took his foot off the throttle and tried to coast out a win instead of continuing to do what got him that lead to begin with.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have all seen him go conservative in the past when the Pack had a lead and I was afraid he would again yesterday and he did.
You would think he would learn from past experience that the best thing to do is bury the opponent when they are down.
I recall Holmgren going conservative with sizable leads also. The difference being that his teams usually pulled it out regardless.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lost Fergy in the first quarter but the queens waited til halftime to double cover Driver. I'm not sure the play calling was that different in the second half. The offense didn't get much opportunity. The defense couldn't get off the field. Minnesaota scored on EVERY posession after halftime. The defense did not make one stop in the second half.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as usual, we agree DePack.

Even if the offense tucked their tail between their legs and played conservative football (and I'm not so sure that they did), the defense couldn't stop MN in the 2nd half.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have seldom blown big leads in the Sherman era. I remember what a shocker it was when they blew that big lead to Kansas City two years ago. Of course, after that game Sherman was criticized by his detractors for NOT BEING CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH, because Favre threw a costly interception. It just goes to show that some people are going to blame the play-calling no matter what. This is because there is nothing easier than criticizing play-calling after the fact.

I must say that I hated that damn draw play to Tony Fisher at the end of the last drive, but overall, I don't believe the play-calling was that different in the second half. The players just weren't getting the job done.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With no running game, and Fergy hurt, the Vikings adjusted their coverage to stop Driver. If Favre & Sherman would continue to throw it to Driver in the 2nd half, then people would be complaining that Favre was forcing the ball into double coverage.

To me it wasn't a matter of getting conservative. We are running out of weapons to keep the defense honest, and we haven't had a running game all year to keep the defense honest. Our lack of running game has been the biggest difference between last year and this year in my opinion.

Members online