At the bye.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as it looked going into the season, doesn't look so bad now. Hope we are still saying it was worth it come game 8 or 9.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy typically gives the players the bye week off, especially after a victory. I wonder if he considers working on some of the teams deficiencies, at least on a limited basis.

Edit - Read the Packersnews article and it sounds like the players have the rest of the week off.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back, the Packers had early byes in 2009 and 2013 (Weeks 5 and 4 respectively). In those years we lost to the Cardinals and 49ers in the first round of the playoffs.

In 2010, 11, 12, 14, and 15 we've had the bye week sometime between Weeks 7 and 10, so around mid-season. We've advanced further into the playoffs each of those years with at least one win - except 2011 when we had a first round bye but still lost to the Giants in our first playoff game.

Hopefully this is all just an interesting coincidence. As they say, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. We will see what our early bye week holds for later this year.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope they would get in some game footage and maybe a light practice but who knows, the secondary should be working some for sure.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back, the Packers had early byes in 2009 and 2013 (Weeks 5 and 4 respectively). In those years we lost to the Cardinals and 49ers in the first round of the playoffs.

In 2010, 11, 12, 14, and 15 we've had the bye week sometime between Weeks 7 and 10, so around mid-season. We've advanced further into the playoffs each of those years with at least one win - except 2011 when we had a first round bye but still lost to the Giants in our first playoff game.

Hopefully this is all just an interesting coincidence. As they say, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. We will see what our early bye week holds for later this year.

Coincidence if you ask me. Any time the bye week hits you can probably make a case for it being a good time. Generally there are fewer injuries early in the year and its healing injuries that the bye week is most noted for but it can also help with other things. Look at what happened when we moved Matthews to ILB after the bye. It made a big difference. What if we would have done that 3 weeks sooner? The early bye give the coaches an extra week to add, subtract or tweak things they have had 3 games to evaluate. What if the bye wasn't until week 10? Do they keep plodding along? Sure you can add things during a regular week but its tougher since they also have to gameplan for the opponent. If we get our 5 starters on defense back for the Giants game it just may be that the bye came at the perfect time.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, Yogi !

No problem Boo Boo.

I know different Yogi It actually made sense to me until you said that but now I'm not so sure. It does sound like something he might have said and we all know a lot of what he said didn't make sense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
McCarthy typically gives the players the bye week off, especially after a victory. I wonder if he considers working on some of the teams deficiencies, at least on a limited basis.

Edit - Read the Packersnews article and it sounds like the players have the rest of the week off.
CBA guarantees 7 days consecutive off IIRC.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty boring games this week too, I bet the players start chomping at the bit to get back out there after this week, I hope. Well, Atlanta v Carolina should be pretty good as should Minny and NYG, but not much else.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty boring games this week too, I bet the players start chomping at the bit to get back out there after this week, I hope. Well, Atlanta v Carolina should be pretty good as should Minny and NYG, but not much else.
Browns vs Redskins I feel will be a good game. Also the Sunday Night game should be Interesting. But I agree the NYG vs MV will be good.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as it looked going into the season, doesn't look so bad now. Hope we are still saying it was worth it come game 8 or 9.

We're short handed right now, hopefully once we get key contributors back we'll be able to rest ailing players when needed to keep them fresh. Once we get Pennel and Guion back we'll have plenty of depth on the D-line, OLB we're loaded with Perry Peppers Matthews and Jones. CB I think our depth will look better once we get Randall and Rollins back under control. Safety, we're good there with depth. This is the first year where we really could sit Matthews for a game or two to get him to 100% instead of having him fight through nagging injuries. I think we have the pieces to manage the rest of the season after the bye, it's just an issue of getting key pieces(Sam Shields) back for next week.

D

Deleted member 6794

CB I think our depth will look better once we get Randall and Rollins back under control. Safety, we're good there with depth. I think we have the pieces to manage the rest of the season after the bye, it's just an issue of getting key pieces(Sam Shields) back for next week.

It seems like the Packers don´t have as much talent at cornerback as a lot of people believed entering the season. It´s vital to get Shields back as soon as possible and him staying healthy the rest of the year.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall correctly
http://www.netlingo.com/dictionary/i.php
Bookmark this or one like it. It comes in handy.

Oh dear, that's embarrassing. Based on the context of the original post I thought it had something to do with the CBA. Thanks for the links. My teenage daughters bought me a booklet of acronyms to help me GWI. Perhaps I should have it handy more often.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear, that's embarrassing. Based on the context of the original post I thought it had something to do with the CBA. Thanks for the links. My teenage daughters bought me a booklet of acronyms to help me GWI. Perhaps I should have it handy more often.
On another board I haunt, I've learned to keep a lingo tab open. Everyone there tries to out trendy one another. Without having a lingo dictionary I'd be totally lost. I visit because there are really smart people IRL that answer and explain almost any subject. Real rocket scientists and off the grid types with a smattering of plumbers, PHDs, economists, SJWs, EEs, MBAs, and hordes of programmer types. I learn things now and then.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coincidence if you ask me.
I would generally agree as there are way too many factors. However, one can't discount the effect of having a break later in the season and how that might offset fatigue in the playoffs.

Of course, there will never be a definitive answer.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would generally agree as there are way too many factors. However, one can't discount the effect of having a break later in the season and how that might offset fatigue in the playoffs.

Well, there are several examples of teams losing in the Divisional round of the playoffs after having a bye during the Wild Card weekend. I don´t think the timing of the regular season bye week is one of the most important factor for being successful late in the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I bet the Eagles would definitely rather not have their bye week this week. They've got 4 out of their next 5 on the road and probably are not as dinged up as us right now.

Reaction score
Come to think of it.. it never seems to be a bad time for a bye. Probably because we're always banged up.
We could really use an upset by the Giants Monday night because the Texans won't look the same without JJ in the fold so its gonna be a long shot for the Texans depositing a W at US Bank Stadium.
I like our chances of an Eagles victory week 7 though, that Eagles D should finally pose some serious problems for MN playing in hostile territory.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts