Assuming no other FA signings, where do you think we'll finish this season?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief. Rodgers was taken in the FIRST ROUND
he was? you have got to be ****ing ******** me? He really was?

How does that contradict what he said?
It doesn't and unless I missed Ted trading up to the #1 pick it still stands that over 70% of the NFL passed on Rodgers until Ted made his pick. Where I come from once you're over 70%, I think that can qualify as "most". But maybe i'm just different.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
"A major issue around here"... oh dear goodness.

He said that Packer fans are getting "ripped off." That's going a tad bit further than saying Ted Thompson's wrong to not address position X more aggressively. If a Packer fan complained about getting ripped off by the on-field production to almost every other fan base in the league, they'd rightfully tell them that they need to stop acting so spoiled and calm down. There's a big difference between saying the GM is wrong to not use FA more here or pay more attention to that issue there, and saying that the team with the 4th most wins and a championship over TT's tenure is ripping off its fans.

Captain should go back and read what the actual contention was and reassess who's ignoring what was actually said.

The reality is that there are a few posters around here who don't think TT can do anything wrong, a few who don't think he can do anything right,
and the rest are somewhere on the spectrum that spans the middle in our assessments.

We are getting "ripped off". It's a complete disservice what's happening here to the fans and the players.

They want 300-400 dollars or so for a decent ticket to an NFL game depending on where your at. You can easily spend 150-200 dollars for a single Jersey. The only thing that makes any of these prices worth it is Aaron Rodgers. It Certainly isn't watching the Packers defense .

Ted Thompson is not "all in" on winning right now. If he was we would have a corner right now that can actually cover. I'm not the only Packer fan who feels this way and I posted way before free agency with you actually that this thing is headed in the wrong direction.

My fears have come to fruition.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was? you have got to be ******* ******** me? He really was?

It doesn't and unless I missed Ted trading up to the #1 pick it still stands that over 70% of the NFL passed on Rodgers until Ted made his pick. Where I come from once you're over 70%, I think that can qualify as "most". But maybe i'm just different.

You do realize that the draft consists of more than 1 round right?

It's accurate to say that "most teams" passed up on Tom Brady. You see he wasn't drafted until much much later, when teams passed on him multiple times. That's what I consider most, not someone drafted 24th overall

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I paid 147 dollars I think with all fees and everything included for the playoff game against the Giants and my seats were awesome. I was 12 rows away from Cobb's hail mary. I was 12 rows away for Adam's first TD in that corner and Cobb was streaking across the endzone and caught another TD. Tickets were worth 3 times what I paid for those 3 plays alone :)

at this point, your fears are just fears. you have no idea what is going to happen this year. there were maybe 2 guys that potentially could have been what you're asking for available in FA and I'm not sure there was really more than 1 in reality, but since I watch neither of their former teams much I can't say that like I really mean it, but it's my opinion.

Randall has shown he can make plays, 2 picks in general stand out as ones that people don't just happen in to. Ha Ha was fortunate in his picks, Randall made some pretty good athletic plays against that TE against Detroit and that pick against the seahawks showed some pretty good athleticism. He was good his rookie year. he did have in season surgery and came back his next year. Which is the real randall? he has work to do, but he could be what we need too. The fact that you dismiss him so easily tells me you don't really watch and you have a single focus. Get a name you recognize and can feel good about. That's not Ted's. Thankfully.

Last year everyone was so ****ing pissed and jacked up we didn't sign Trevathan and Ladarius Green. We ended up with at least equal linebacker play as he would have given us in the 9 games he played and we got the better TE last year and IMO upgraded again this year.

So now it's this year and people will **** and moan about every guy we didn't sign and by this time next year most of you will be proven wrong again, but you'll be on to new names to opine over and feel Ted is a moron for not signing them too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Randall has shown he can make plays, 2 picks in general stand out as ones that people don't just happen in to. Ha Ha was fortunate in his picks, Randall made some pretty good athletic plays against that TE against Detroit and that pick against the seahawks showed some pretty good athleticism. He was good his rookie year. he did have in season surgery and came back his next year. Which is the real randall? he has work to do, but he could be what we need too. The fact that you dismiss him so easily tells me you don't really watch and you have a single focus. Get a name you recognize and can feel good about. That's not Ted's. Thankfully.

Last year everyone was so ******* pissed and jacked up we didn't sign Trevathan and Ladarius Green. We ended up with at least equal linebacker play as he would have given us in the 9 games he played and we got the better TE last year and IMO upgraded again this year.

On the other hand you ignore the red flags about Randall because Thompson seems to trust him to bounce back in a huge way.

There's absolutely no doubt the Bears received significantly better performance from their inside linebackers than the Packers after signing Freeman and Trevathan.

While Green missed 10 games because of injuries he put up better numbers on average than Cook last season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize that the draft consists of more than 1 round right?

It's accurate to say that "most teams" passed up on Tom Brady. You see he wasn't drafted until much much later, when teams passed on him multiple times. That's what I consider most, not someone drafted 24th overall

OK, time to put the ego away. "Most" is obviously a subjective term, but I'm sure most of us (see what I did there? :)) would agree that 21 of 32 teams (two teams twice) passing on AR constitutes 'most'. If the point had been that most had passed multiple times, ala Brady (including, of course, the Patriots), then you'd be correct, in that the Vikes and 'Boys were the only ones for Rodgers.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand you ignore the red flags about Randall because Thompson seems to trust him to bounce back in a huge way.

There's absolutely no doubt the Bears received significantly better performance from their inside linebackers than the Packers after signing Freeman and Trevathan.

While Green missed 10 games because of injuries he put up better numbers on average than Cook last season.
Randall will be a shut down guy in this league. He has all the traits. No way Green played better than Cook, who was crucial down the stretch for us. Jake Ryan had a fantastic season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We are getting "ripped off". It's a complete disservice what's happening here to the fans and the players.

They want 300-400 dollars or so for a decent ticket to an NFL game depending on where your at. You can easily spend 150-200 dollars for a single Jersey. The only thing that makes any of these prices worth it is Aaron Rodgers. It Certainly isn't watching the Packers defense .

Ted Thompson is not "all in" on winning right now. If he was we would have a corner right now that can actually cover. I'm not the only Packer fan who feels this way and I posted way before free agency with you actually that this thing is headed in the wrong direction.

My fears have come to fruition.

Ok, so I think this is beyond melodramatic. Which is fine-- that's just my opinion and we don't have to agree.

But you and Captain seem to be saying that because I take issue with that take up there, that I'm therefore not open to any criticisms of TT. That's so ridiculous.

It's like this: If I was to post something way over the top like "Thompson doesn't make mistakes-- people just don't know how to interpret his moves" and you said "That's ridiculous" and I came back with "Geez, why does everything I say get misinterpreted! I'm not even allowed to say one nice things about the guy and people start piling on." That would obviously be unfair. Just because you take issue with a dramatically over the top complimentary take doesn't mean that you're incapable of seeing any merit in the guy. By that same token, just because I think it's silly to say that the fan base of a top 5 franchise is getting "ripped off" doesn't mean that I'm not open to any criticism of TT.

By the way, ticket prices are driven by demand. The Packers generally put one of the best products on the field, there's a ton of demand, and thus the prices are high. The top 10 last season went:

1. Seahawks
2. Patriots
3. Broncos
4. Bears
5. Packers
6. Steelers
7. Giants
8. Vikings
9. Cowboys
10. Rams

Bears, Vikings, and Rams fans are the ones who have the case for getting ripped off. The Packers' spot in that list is basically a perfect correlation to their success level over TT's tenure.

But hey, if you feel like you're getting ripped off the great thing is that the transaction is 100% voluntary. You don't have to pay if you don't want to!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall will be a shut down guy in this league. He has all the traits. No way Green played better than Cook, who was crucial down the stretch for us. Jake Ryan had a fantastic season.

Not sure WIMM is the guy you want to go after with unsubstantiated personal opinions. If Randall is supposed to become a shut down corner because he has all the traits, I'm confident you'll soon be seeing a list of corners with the right traits who didn't make it (of course, first you have to ID the 'traits'). Next, while Cook certainly had really good playoff games, he and Green, on average (as WIMM stated) had identical number of catches and TDs in the regular season (Green didn't play postseason, so apples and oranges), while Green averaged about 4 yards per catch more than Cook. You need some stats, film, maybe even just press clippings to substantiate Ryan's fantastic year - most would be willing to give him kudos for playing well, but 'fantastic' has to be a reach.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The argument over Green and Cook is a strange one. I don't think there's a huge difference in their on field play. TT got Cook for 1/2.75 while the Steelers paid Green 4/20.

If TT had paid Green that deal and then the Packers dealt with all of Green's issue, I have this feeling that Thompson would be taking a lot of crap for it.

I'm surprised that Captain isn't higher on Ryan. PFF gave him a solid grade for his sophomore season.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure WIMM is the guy you want to go after with unsubstantiated personal opinions. If Randall is supposed to become a shut down corner because he has all the traits, I'm confident you'll soon be seeing a list of corners with the right traits who didn't make it (of course, first you have to ID the 'traits'). Next, while Cook certainly had really good playoff games, he and Green, on average (as WIMM stated) had identical number of catches and TDs in the regular season (Green didn't play postseason, so apples and oranges), while Green averaged about 4 yards per catch more than Cook. You need some stats, film, maybe even just press clippings to substantiate Ryan's fantastic year - most would be willing to give him kudos for playing well, but 'fantastic' has to be a reach.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...among-nfls-most-improved-second-year-players/

As for Randall, there is plenty of info out there on his combine times, his physical traits, and the guys at the same position picked in the first round the last 5/6 years with similar times and traits. They're all shut down guys. Fact. Clearly the Packers see Randall in a similar way. He was good his rookie year, then injuries held him back. I see us drafting someone to play slot and House is the number 2. That leaves Randall atop the depth chart. I see this similar to Adams last year when everyone on here was doubting him, when the reality was that he played injured.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't follow. It looks like you're saying that the youth of Atlanta will enable them to bounce back. Haven't the Packers been one of the youngest teams in the league every year? Doesn't that same reasoning mean they should have been able to come back from the Seattle debacle?
Well, the Packers were an OT away from the NFC Championship game following the Seattle debacle, so I'm not sure where you're going with that,

Further, Atlanta doesn't have Dom Capers or a string of unimpressive defensive drafts. ;)

Reaction score
But hey, if you feel like you're getting ripped off the great thing is that the transaction is 100% voluntary. You don't have to pay if you don't want to!
Im not so worried about the ticket prices as I am the availability just to watch the games on a local network (I recently paid $120 outside for the home opener and I got a cold beer to boot!)
We used to be able to tune into Weekday games with rabbit ears. Now you sign away your first born as collateral :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 6794

Randall will be a shut down guy in this league.

Randall hasn't shown anything over his first two seasons to make me believe he is capable of turning into a shutdown cornerback.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...among-nfls-most-improved-second-year-players/

As for Randall, there is plenty of info out there on his combine times, his physical traits, and the guys at the same position picked in the first round the last 5/6 years with similar times and traits. They're all shut down guys. Fact. Clearly the Packers see Randall in a similar way. He was good his rookie year, then injuries held him back. I see us drafting someone to play slot and House is the number 2. That leaves Randall atop the depth chart.

The article you linked to rates Ryan's performance last season as average which is a far cry from having been fantastic in 2016. While Randall for sure has the athletic traits necessary to become a shutdown cornerback he hasn't been able to translate them into success on the field. Without benefitting from playing with a veteran #1 at the position I highly doubt he will turn into an elite player anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 6794

The argument over Green and Cook is a strange one. I don't think there's a huge difference in their on field play. TT got Cook for 1/2.75 while the Steelers paid Green 4/20.

If TT had paid Green that deal and then the Packers dealt with all of Green's issue, I have this feeling that Thompson would be taking a lot of crap for it.

I'm surprised that Captain isn't higher on Ryan. PFF gave him a solid grade for his sophomore season.

You might want to work on your reading comprehension as I didn't argue that Green had a better season in 2016 than Cook but that on average he put up better numbers.

Ryan performed at a decent level last season but not at the same one as Freeman or Trevathan for the Bears.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You might want to work on your reading comprehension as I didn't argue that Green had a better season in 2016 than Cook but that on average he put up better numbers.

Ryan performed at a decent level last season but not at the same one as Freeman or Trevathan for the Bears.

Did I say anything about your opinion of Green vs. Cook? I offered my thoughts on the subject as brought to my attention by Half Empty's post right above mine. You might want to work on your extreme sensitivity as I wasn't even replying to you (although the old "reading comprehension" bit is a forum classic).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers were an OT away from the NFC Championship game following the Seattle debacle, so I'm not sure where you're going with that,

Further, Atlanta doesn't have Dom Capers or a string of unimpressive defensive drafts. ;)

Guess we're back to the subjectivity that makes for lengthy threads. I assume the Pack will/should be in the playoffs every year that their division looks like it does and they have AR at the helm. So, in 2015, my take is that they couldn't even make the conference playoff again with the young team, so why should we figure Atlanta's youth should enable them to bounce back from their SB fiasco? Agree that the D doesn't help, but they're young, too. If youth isn't a factor as you mentioned, I'm fine with it.

H

HardRightEdge

Guess we're back to the subjectivity that makes for lengthy threads. I assume the Pack will/should be in the playoffs every year that their division looks like it does and they have AR at the helm. So, in 2015, my take is that they couldn't even make the conference playoff again with the young team, so why should we figure Atlanta's youth should enable them to bounce back from their SB fiasco? Agree that the D doesn't help, but they're young, too. If youth isn't a factor as you mentioned, I'm fine with it.
If it is lengthy thread going forward from here, it won't be on my account.

"...so why should we figure Atlanta's youth should enable them to bounce back from their SB fiasco?"

Well, I saw them play 3 times last season and their defense was vastly improved over 2015. So they've got that going for them. That's all.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it is lengthy thread going forward from here, it won't be on my account.

"...so why should we figure Atlanta's youth should enable them to bounce back from their SB fiasco?"

Well, I saw them play 3 times last season and their defense was vastly improved over 2015. So they've got that going for them. That's all.

Which has what to do with the original give-and-take about their youth being a factor in them being able to come back? If you'd said they have a better defense, and that might do it, fine. The length of the thread might be much shorter if you wouldn't quote something about youth and then use defense instead.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ok, so I think this is beyond melodramatic. Which is fine-- that's just my opinion and we don't have to agree.

But you and Captain seem to be saying that because I take issue with that take up there, that I'm therefore not open to any criticisms of TT. That's so ridiculous.

It's like this: If I was to post something way over the top like "Thompson doesn't make mistakes-- people just don't know how to interpret his moves" and you said "That's ridiculous" and I came back with "Geez, why does everything I say get misinterpreted! I'm not even allowed to say one nice things about the guy and people start piling on." That would obviously be unfair. Just because you take issue with a dramatically over the top complimentary take doesn't mean that you're incapable of seeing any merit in the guy. By that same token, just because I think it's silly to say that the fan base of a top 5 franchise is getting "ripped off" doesn't mean that I'm not open to any criticism of TT.

By the way, ticket prices are driven by demand. The Packers generally put one of the best products on the field, there's a ton of demand, and thus the prices are high. The top 10 last season went:

1. Seahawks
2. Patriots
3. Broncos
4. Bears
5. Packers
6. Steelers
7. Giants
8. Vikings
9. Cowboys
10. Rams

Bears, Vikings, and Rams fans are the ones who have the case for getting ripped off. The Packers' spot in that list is basically a perfect correlation to their success level over TT's tenure.

I do disagree. I think the Packers can do better and I have said some good things about Ted Thompson and some of his moves. I have been far from one sided here. I think my concerns are legitimate.

I know it's my choice to pay and have posted about this before. You guys can get all excited about the season and that's great. I'm not as excited this year other then bringing in Bennett. I'm sure there is a long line of "fresh faces and new people to dissapoint". Soon enough MM will be up there on the podium telling everyone the expectations are to win a Super Bowl and blah blah. It's the same old sales script and it's just funny some people keep falling for it.

Don't tell me about the baby but show me the baby.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I paid 147 dollars I think with all fees and everything included for the playoff game against the Giants and my seats were awesome. I was 12 rows away from Cobb's hail mary. I was 12 rows away for Adam's first TD in that corner and Cobb was streaking across the endzone and caught another TD. Tickets were worth 3 times what I paid for those 3 plays alone :)

at this point, your fears are just fears. you have no idea what is going to happen this year. there were maybe 2 guys that potentially could have been what you're asking for available in FA and I'm not sure there was really more than 1 in reality, but since I watch neither of their former teams much I can't say that like I really mean it, but it's my opinion.

Last year everyone was so ******* pissed and jacked up we didn't sign Trevathan and Ladarius Green. We ended up with at least equal linebacker play as he would have given us in the 9 games he played and we got the better TE last year and IMO upgraded again this year.

So now it's this year and people will **** and moan about every guy we didn't sign and by this time next year most of you will be proven wrong again, but you'll be on to new names to opine over and feel Ted is a moron for not signing them too.

That's just wonderfull Mondio but even you must know that this team isn't set up to win a Super Bowl this year so enjoy the endzone seats at the playoff game.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just wonderfull Mondio but even you must know that this team isn't set up to win a Super Bowl this year so enjoy the playoff game.
actually with a few right moves or players bouncing back from injury, we could easily be a super bowl winner, even in what I consider a "down" year for us. we're one of the top teams and there is not a single team powerful from top to bottom that has no weakness. and even then it takes a few breaks and a little luck. so i like our chances like always.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Soon enough MM will be up there on the podium telling everyone the expectations are to win a Super Bowl and blah blah
So you expect him to stand at the podium and say that we will play this year for a top draft pick next year? That we're rebuilding? We have entered a new 3-year plan? He plans on calling plays using an Ouija board and magic-8 ball? I'm open to other predictions.

Members online

Latest posts