Assistant Coach Tracker

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's not zach's conclusion...it's silverstein's.

Zach drew a lot of conclusions from this speculative statement from Silverstein, which was the only part of Silverstein’s story that touched on the issue.

“It is believed Rizzi’s price was high, so a team would have to make a considerable investment to lure him. It’s unclear where Rizzi will land, but apparently another team was more attractive to him or made a better offer than the Packers.”

Reaction score
If I have these right, these are the confirmed guys so far:

HC: M. LaFleur
OC: N. Hackett
DC: M. Pettine
OL: A. Stenavich
RB: B. Sirmans
TE: B. Angelichio
DL: Jerry Montgomery
DB: Jason Simmons
LB: Kirk Olivadotti
So far it sounds like first role call at the United Nations. Those French! they’re always the first to arrive. We’re missing Zimbabwe and Japan :tup:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The special teams coach search is getting concerning. They last 2 guys they brought in do not have great track records. I hop they look at Rod Wilson from the Chiefs. He has been their assistant the last 2 years. I like that he has had Toub to learn from the last 2 years. Toub has always had great special teams so I would like to see someone that has learned from him get a shot.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if signing the Chiefs OLB coach makes it a more likely to chase Dee Ford if he makes it to free agency.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a connection, but I doubt he makes it to FA and even then it would come down to cash more than anything. But a potential foot in the door is better than none I’d guess.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder if signing the Chiefs OLB coach makes it a more likely to chase Dee Ford if he makes it to free agency.

Possibly the Chiefs firing DC Sutton and hiring Spagnuolo will be more important in Ford's availability. Sutton ran a 3-4 and Spagnuolo runs a 4-3, so Ford's importance and the possibility of being given a Franchise tag may have gone down.

Ford says he wants to stay in KC and I think its going to take $15+M/year to land him, not sure how excited I would be paying that for him. Just my opinion.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is a huge bummer to me. But, I gave you a heart rating for noticing this fact.

I'm guessing its probably because it was an unexpected opportunity and happened pretty quickly.

I still think you're an impressively prescient son of a gun.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So the officials currently are:

QB: L. Getsy
TE: J. Outten

DL: J. Montgomery
DB: J. Simmons
ILB: K. Olivadotti
OLB: M. Smith

Based on the typical size of an NFL coaching staff (18-22, not including strength and conditioning staff), we are still waiting on 7-11 names. That's quite a few!

The most obvious holes on the staff would obviously STC, Asst. STC, WR, and Asst. OL. You'd also think they'd want more than one guy working with the defensive backs (c'mon Jim Leonard!!!!). And then you have your quality control guys beyond that.

Per the venerable @FrozenTakesInGB, the prominent candidates should be:

-Karl Dorrell (WR)
-Shawn Jefferson (WR)
-Shawn Mennenga (STC)
-Mike Mallory (STC)
-Tom Quinn (STC)
-Jake Moreland (Offense, ??)
-Ronald Curry (Offense, ??)
-Andre Colemn (Offense, ??)
-Alvis Whitted (WR)

I personally think Dorrell and Mennenga are really interesting candidates.

coachal89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the officials currently are:

QB: L. Getsy
TE: J. Outten

DL: J. Montgomery
DB: J. Simmons
ILB: K. Olivadotti
OLB: M. Smith

Based on the typical size of an NFL coaching staff (18-22, not including strength and conditioning staff), we are still waiting on 7-11 names. That's quite a few!

The most obvious holes on the staff would obviously STC, Asst. STC, WR, and Asst. OL. You'd also think they'd want more than one guy working with the defensive backs (c'mon Jim Leonard!!!!). And then you have your quality control guys beyond that.

Per the venerable @FrozenTakesInGB, the prominent candidates should be:

-Karl Dorrell (WR)
-Shawn Jefferson (WR)
-Shawn Mennenga (STC)
-Mike Mallory (STC)
-Tom Quinn (STC)
-Jake Moreland (Offense, ??)
-Ronald Curry (Offense, ??)
-Andre Colemn (Offense, ??)
-Alvis Whitted (WR)

I personally think Dorrell and Mennenga are really interesting candidates.

I think Jefferson is going to NY with Gase.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*****NEWS FLASH*****

This just in....with what appears to be a tough market for Special Teams Coaches, the Packers announced that they have finally found a replacement for Ron Zook. Packers GM Brian Gutekunst stated "We feel Bobo will be an enormous upgrade over the teams past 2 Special Teams coordinators".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw yesterday that Wes Welker was interviewing with the Packers. I didn't see which position it was for though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw yesterday that Wes Welker was interviewing with the Packers. I didn't see which position it was for though.
Has 2 yrs. of asst. coaching experience with WR's and ST's. Wouldn't be horrible hire for either spot but leery that he's still a bit "green" (coaching-wise). Certainly has a lot of playing experience to back-up what he says, though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man was as precise a WR as there was. But some former players have a hard time coaching too.

I'd be good with the hire. He was in a lot of good places with good coaches. Not my top option though.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard Wes Welker was interviewed for an assistant position. NICEEE. WR routes will be crisp!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per Silverstein, Alvis Whitted is going to be the guy at WR coach.

He's served in the same position for the last 7 years at Colorado State.

CSU has produced a couple of NFL receivers of late-- Rashard Higgins in 2016 and Michael Gallup in 2018.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they couldn't get Rizzi, Mennenga seemed to have the best resume to me.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have no problem with Welker. I would have problems with Randy Moss. The difference is that one was a natural phenomenon in Moss who rarely worked at his craft. Welker really busted his butt. I think that's why backup QBs often are good coaches. They work at their craft hard and understand what it takes, but often don't have the physical tools. Welker spent many years on STs and had to bust his butt to find a niche in the Patriots' offense.

It sounds like that ship has now sailed, but I wouldn't have had a problem with the hire.

Members online

Latest posts