Assistant Coach Tracker

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
According to sources the Packers will retain Jason Simmons.

The Niners had an average pass protection unit and were decent (maybe even exceptional) in blocking for the run over the two season Stenavich worked for the team.
Big leap from decent to exceptional ;)

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. :tup:

If I do my "math" correctly, that still leaves these leftover coaches to figure out if they stay or go
  • Strength and Conditions Coaches.

I haven't read anywhere that Lovat/staff had been let go.? (fingers crossed)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seems Petals is working top down in terms of decisions on coaches. It could be that S & C just hasn't been addressed yet

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wouldn't make any sense to me. Maybe Rodgers doesn't need a QB coach, but what about Kizer, Boyle and the other 2 new guys they will no doubt bring in. Its not like we have had a juggernaut of talented backups.
Hackett was a former QB coach. I'm sure he'll be spending a lot of time with them.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seems Petals is working top down in terms of decisions on coaches. It could be that S & C just hasn't been addressed yet
Or the person who was sent to fire the S & C coaches pulled a Hammy on their way and it will be 2-4 weeks before we know if they will be able to try again.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spend whatever money it takes to get Cochran from Alabama.

That man is just as important as Nick Saban.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I like how much time has come between coaching announcements. Leads me to believe that LaFleur is keeping an open mind and isn't just going in and cleaning house without evaluating the situation. I get the sense that he's being methodical in his evaluation process.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how much time has come between coaching announcements. Leads me to believe that LaFleur is keeping an open mind and isn't just going in and cleaning house without evaluating the situation. I get the sense that he's being methodical in his evaluation process.

My impression of the process is LaFleur lost out on his top choices in San Francisco and is now sorting through the rest of the candidates - which is taking some time. Fair enough, I have liked the sound of pretty much everyone hired so far.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And while it is very important it may not be as critical to get them in place as early as the others. After all its not like it depends on who the players are or like you need to get them used to new schemes and terminology. With position coaches you want them in so they can start looking at film of the players and their strengths and weaknesses and figuring how to use who in the best possible ways. You get a new S & C staff and you just start stretching differently. I know that's a very simplistic view and it is more than that but its the offseason and there are no players (maybe a few rehabbing) so how much can a S & C coach do in watching film?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And while it is very important it may not be as critical to get them in place as early as the others. After all its not like it depends on who the players are or like you need to get them used to new schemes and terminology. With position coaches you want them in so they can start looking at film of the players and their strengths and weaknesses and figuring how to use who in the best possible ways. You get a new S & C staff and you just start stretching differently. I know that's a very simplistic view and it is more than that but its the offseason and there are no players (maybe a few rehabbing) so how much can a S & C coach do in watching film?
They all have their own offseason workouts anyway. Their own trainers, etc. Half of them train at other players speed, strength, kicking, QB schools in the off season anyway. I doubt the S&C staff even has contact with them.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They all have their own offseason workouts anyway. Their own trainers, etc. Half of them train at other players speed, strength, kicking, QB schools in the off season anyway. I doubt the S&C staff even has contact with them.

I wonder what percentage of players do little or no voluntary off season training on their own? These I would call the "fat cats", have made their money and will try to coast on their past accomplishments. Or as Mark Murphy referred to it....complacency.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If I have these right, these are the confirmed guys so far:

HC: M. LaFleur
OC: N. Hackett
DC: M. Pettine
OL: A. Stenavich
RB: B. Sirmans
TE: B. Angelichio
DL: Jerry Montgomery
DB: Jason Simmons
LB: Kirk Olivadotti

There should be at least 10 more hires to come and perhaps a change with the SC staff.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If I have these right, these are the confirmed guys so far:

HC: M. LaFleur
OC: N. Hackett
DC: M. Pettine
OL: A. Stenavich
RB: B. Sirmans
TE: B. Angelichio
DL: Jerry Montgomery
DB: Jason Simmons
LB: Kirk Olivadotti

There should be at least 10 more hires to come and perhaps a change with the SC staff.
Just checked the Packers website and only 3 coaches are listed
Not doubting the other names but it would seem no one else is signed to the bottom line or maybe the website updater is just waiting for a grandiose press conference to make it "all official."

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great to see that list with Lovat's name nowhere near it. It doesn't mean he is gone but it means he is under review and has not been signed for next season. I would have to think that any review of him and his staff would result in them not returning. I would absolutely pay the Bama strength coach 1 mil per year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great to see that list with Lovat's name nowhere near it. It doesn't mean he is gone but it means he is under review and has not been signed for next season. I would have to think that any review of him and his staff would result in them not returning. I would absolutely pay the Bama strength coach 1 mil per year.

Ha! You'd have to pay him a lot more than that.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Dolphins expected to hire Packers run game coordinator/inside linebackers coach Patrick Graham as their defensive coordinator, per Schefter

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So the Packers wanted Darren Rizzi for ST coach, but didn't want to pay for him.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/packers-lose-special-teams-darren-rizzi-coach/

That seems bush league.

I guess it would depend on if all the details of the story are true and than what Rizzi's demands were. I myself want a much better ST's coach than the last 2, but if Rizzi's asking price was way out of line, what else do you say to him? "Sure man, we are desperate, the job is yours."

I am sure the Packers have a coaches pay structure figured out and if they way overpay one coach, how does that sit with the other coaches?

Could be a case where Rizi didn't fully want the job, but was willing to take it if he got an enormous amount of money. I have put bids out for jobs. 2 or 3 will be very similar and then one will be double the others. An explanation from one contractor was "I seriously didn't want the work, I am so over scheduled, but if I got it at that price, good for me." Never sent a job bid his way again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on if all the details of the story are true and than what Rizzi's demands were. I myself want a much better ST's coach than the last 2, but if Rizzi's asking price was way out of line, what else do you say to him? "Sure man, we are desperate, the job is yours."

I am sure the Packers have a coaches pay structure figured out and if they way overpay one coach, how does that sit with the other coaches?

Could be a case where Rizi didn't fully want the job, but was willing to take it if he got an enormous amount of money. I have put bids out for jobs. 2 or 3 will be very similar and then one will be double the others. An explanation from one contractor was "I seriously didn't want the work, I am so over scheduled, but if I got it at that price, good for me." Never sent a job bid his way again.

Which is entirely possible. But it could also be that he wanted the job but at a salary at the high end for an STC and they didn't want to shell out for the experience.

Members online

Latest posts