Assistant Coach Tracker

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns are moving fast..................

Rob Demovsky Retweeted
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 3h3 hours ago
Browns officially named Steve Wilks as DC, Todd Monken as OC, Mike Priefer as ST coordinator, Stump Mitchell as RBs/run game coordinator, James Campen as OL/associate HC, Ryan Lindley as QB coach, Jody Wright as special assistant to HC.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I hope we don't see the Packers spend yet another high pick on CB, too many years of doing it with only Alexander seemingly being the only winner of the group. Maybe a new coaching staff will help, so you continue to develop what we already have, bring back Breeland and if you see a guy you like in Free Agency and is affordable, grab him or wait for the draft and then in the 5th or 6th grab a project.

This team needs linebackers, at least 2, if not 3, I really want to see both Free Agency and the draft finally target that need.

I agree the CB picks have to stop, but we do need a S.

Both first round picks should be spent on offense as that's the biggest need at OL and WR. Then spend the next two rounds on OLB and S, then get more OL.

Gute messed up big time last year by over saturating the TE position with 5 deep useless players. Cut that down to two on the roster and switch the depth over to the OL and LB positions.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While Gutekunst keeps his thoughts close to the vest, Murphy has a newfound chattiness with respect to football operations that has been building over the last year. He may give us some clues as to where he draws the line. Maybe. :coffee:

Nice post and while I posted the following before, I thought it would pair well with your post. ;)

I kind of find it ironic that Murphy is preaching the end of complacency in Green Bay. Now maybe McCarthy and TT had the final say with Capers, but I would imagine Murphy could have said something and then there is the whole letting TT stay too long thing.

Let's hope Murph's beating of the war drum against complacency was due in part to his own self reflection of hearing that beat in his own head.

H

HardRightEdge

I find it strange that the guy they ended up hiring he had heard about but didn't know a lot about only 6 weeks before.
Which guy? You mean LaFleur? No matter. McCarthy was fired right around 6 weeks ago. That's the point where you'd expect the hunt to begin. I don't think there was any grand plan that had McCarthy gone before that. He was on watch, is the way I see it. In fact, if the team had gone on a run and snuck in the playoffs McCarthy might well be with us still, having shaken off that "complacency". Taking a dump against AZ at home was the tipping point.

It's not like you're going to go around making inquiries about guys while your current guy is on the bubble. Word gets around, and if your current guy rises from the ashes and you want to keep him, you're a bit of trouble because he's going to be p*ssed.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which guy? You mean LaFleur? No matter. McCarthy was fired right around 6 weeks ago. That's the point where you'd expect the hunt to begin. I don't think there was any grand plan that had McCarthy gone before that. He was on watch, is the way I see it. In fact, if the team had gone on a run and snuck in the playoffs McCarthy might well be with us still, having shaken off that "complacency". Taking a dump against AZ at home was the tipping point.

It's not like you're going to go around making inquiries about guys while your current guy is on the bubble. Word gets around, and if your current guy rises from the ashes and you want to keep him, you're a bit of trouble because he's going to be p*ssed.

Yeah, but if he had been doing his job I would think he would have had some candidates in mind before that. Its just the way he said it. I had heard about him but I didn't know much about him. I would think if you are thinking about firing your coach you would know something about the guys you are going to potentially replace him with.

Hell, if his Mom knew 2 days after McCarthy was fired someone must have known he was on a short list.

That little blurb was all I saw of the McCarren interview and it seemed pretty informal. I'm sure he knew more than he let on I just found it funny the way he said it that's all. Almost as if he was thinking "they may be on to something, I should check this guy out."

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe. So far, by rule. he couldn't interview. This time next week, after NO beats the Rams ;), that situation will become clearer. Or if the Rams happen to win that game, there's the off week before the Super Bowl opening up for interviews by rule. What McVay thinks about that remains to be seen.

The more I think about it, Kromer could be a decent OC operating under an offensive HC's architecture and play calling, and if he is approached for that job the picture could change. He's a half OC as it is in LA where there is no actual OC. And I can't get over how disciplined and precise his O-Line happens to be. That would be another divergence from slopiness and complacency in keeping with the theme.

McVay isn't going to let his OL coach leave for a non-play calling OC job imo. Just like Shanahan wouldn't let us take McDaniels or LaFleur.

Only way I could see it happening is if Kroger threw a fit and quit on him, which is highly unlikely.

H

HardRightEdge

Hell, if his Mom knew 2 days after McCarthy was fired someone must have known he was on a short list.
Talk about making more out of something than what's there. He said his mom read something or heard some people talking about LaFluer. Maybe right here. :confused: Murphy was telling you a funny story. At least he thought it was funny. Evidently not to some. Would it make you happy if Gutekunst know who he was and promoted him as a candidate? Maybe he did. We don't know.

The NFL world is a big one. Everybody doesn't know everybody. Everybody's got their nose to the grindstone, sticking to their knitting. Relationships of any depth come from guys working with other guys. Coaches and pro personnel gusy get to know other guys indirectly from looking at tape and playing against them. Presidents do not. And as I said, it would be foolish to get into the weeds on guys you don't know until the decision to go forward is made.

Rather than getting all worked up about a process we know little about other than the fact Murphy was running it, think about outcomes.

Do you like the selection? Great. Do you hate it? That's OK, too. We'll see how it works out.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk about making more out of something than what's there. He said his mom read something or heard some people talking about LaFluer. Maybe right here. :confused: Murphy was telling you a funny story. At least he thought it was funny. Evidently not to some. Would it make you happy if Gutekunst know who he was and promoted him as a candidate? Maybe he did. We don't know.

The NFL world is a big one. Everybody doesn't know everybody. Everybody's got their nose to the grindstone, sticking to their knitting. Relationships of any depth come from guys working with other guys. Coaches and pro personnel gusy get to know other guys indirectly from looking at tape and playing against them. Presidents do not. And as I said, it would be foolish to get into the weeds on guys you don't know until the decision to go forward is made.

Rather than getting all worked up about a process we know little about other than the fact Murphy was running it, think about outcomes.

Do you like the selection? Great. Do you hate it? That's OK, too. We'll see how it works out.

I'd say. All I said was I found it a little funny. You are the one who seems to be getting worked up over it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moms know everything. All that **** we thought we used to get away with, they knew before we did it. Even Mark Murphy has a mother, and she’s got the same super powers as the rest of them. It’s not surprising she knew :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hackett was a 3rd choice for me, but he's certainly strong candidate for an OC job when Petals is essentially going to be in charge of the offense. It's often the case that HC/Play-caller types end up having to hire under-qualified OC's because the good one's prefer to have a bigger hand in the offense.

Hopefully the lack of history between Petals and Hackett will mean greater variety and creativity, rather than butting heads.

I read that Monken was not offered the OC job by GB, so presumably Petals preferred Hackett.

And the guy I really wanted, Kubiak, didn't take an OC job at all.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hmmmm, not very successful. Will have to adopt a wait and see approach once again.

Here is the list of starting QB's he's worked with as an NFL offensive coordinator:
  • Thad Lewis
  • E.J. Manuel
  • Kyle Orton
  • Blake Bortles
That's important context when considering how successful he's been.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmm, not very successful. Will have to adopt a wait and see approach once again.
Who's the best QB he's had? Blake Bortles? And he had that offense 5th in the league in scoring in 2017.

He's not gonna be calling plays, but he's not bad at all. Not great, but he's fine. Lots of energy and personality. They're gonna make this fun for Rodgers again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know what any of these guys bring. They seem to be well respected by people that know football so that’s good for me. I will say I’d rather have someone struggle on a losing team trying to turn junk into greatness then have someone that was surrounded by great but is just playing a part.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the list of starting QB's he's worked with as an NFL offensive coordinator:
  • Thad Lewis
  • E.J. Manuel
  • Kyle Orton
  • Blake Bortles
That's important context when considering how successful he's been.
There are candidates out there that you dont have to make excuses for.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know what any of these guys bring. They seem to be well respected by people that know football so that’s good for me. I will say I’d rather have someone struggle on a losing team trying to turn junk into greatness then have someone that was surrounded by great but is just playing a part.
I would mostly like a guy who is given a Bortles or an Orton and has them play well. They dont have to be #1, but as and OC he has averaged #22 in 8 years.

Mercedes Lewis played for him for 3 years and really thinks highly of him. I will give him this, he will bring a lot of energy to the team.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is why did the Jaguars offense regress so much this season?

And why was he willing to take a demotion with the Packers (no play calling duties)?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jags lost their top 2 wr's in free agency, Bortles sucks and their running back had Lacy's desire to play football this season.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is why did the Jaguars offense regress so much this season?

And why was he willing to take a demotion with the Packers (no play calling duties)?

Fournette got hurt and suspended and lost his mind. Bortles regressed which is hard to imagine. Did one of their wrs get hurt too?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fournette got hurt and suspended and lost his mind. Bortles regressed which is hard to imagine. Did one of their wrs get hurt too?

Well they lost their two starting WR's (Robinson and Hurns) and their starting WR's were very inconsistent. Robinson led the league in TD's 2-3 years ago.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they lost their two starting WR's (Robinson and Hurns) and their starting WR's were very inconsistent. Robinson led the league in TD's 2-3 years ago.

Marqise Lee was their supposed starter, he tore his ACL. His stats weren't all that great, but his volume was high to end last year. The thought was that one of Cole and Westbrook would break out with more opportunity, neither really did.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts