Assistant Coach Tracker

H

HardRightEdge

So what exactly does an associate head coach do?
I believe in some case it is a title that justifies a pay level. Otherwise, I suppose if there is another guy who is the run game coordinator and another guy who is the pass game coordinator and some disagreement or confusion arises as to how the O-Line operates, the Associate Head Coach/O-Line Coach addresses it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monken winds up in Cleveland. Frankly, that makes way more sense given his philosophy and how it meshes with Kitchens, but it would have been cool!

This sucks. Wanted him in GB. He is likely not calling plays in Cleveland, or is he?

H

HardRightEdge

Last edited by a moderator:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, if he got hurt, what do you give him,
Injury settlement and move on lol.. I mean for real tho.. it depends but king gets torched when he plays... he has made more mistakes than plays when he is on the field..
I’d say 3 yrs for a first rounder unless they absolutely blow 2 yrs for 2nd and 3rds better be making plays

H

HardRightEdge

How about giving Aaron Kromer, the Rams O-Line coach, one of those nice Assistant HC titles with a pay bump over whatever the Rams are paying him to be their "Run Game Coordinator"? The Rams O-Line performance against the Cowboys is one of the best I've ever seen given the variety of things they were asked to do in that offense. In fact, I believe the weakest link in that offense is Jared Goff.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love that most of these guys are leaving the Packers. They were all part of the complacency problems under McCarthy. We wanted a new regime to come in an shake things up... Well, here we go.

Players that are about to hit free agency know they are next. Matthews and Cobb are basically gone.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also Perry has no business on this team I’d rather spend the 3 mil with Kizer contract to give it to a decent back up qb..

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If McGinn is to be believe, Raih was getting the business from all sides. The word "fraud" kept coming up:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...rs-WR-coach-joins-Cardinals-staff--127781828/

Just "WOW" on that article and maybe this is the type of "complacency" (with McCarthy keeping him around) that Murphy said they are trying to get rid of.

"It may seem like Raih has had success as an assistant coach with the Packers, but longtime Packers report Bob McGinn doesn't see it that way. He talked to sources about the issues with the passing game in 2018 and they point the blame on Raih.

“They’ve got three young guys and they’re getting taught by a guy that doesn’t understand the offense,” one source said to McGinn. “The quarterback thinks he’s a complete fraud. Rodgers pretty much tells him he doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

McGinn talked to a member of scouting or coaching staff from the 2017 squad and he did not hold back when talking about Raih.

“David Raih is a fraud,” he said. “He’s the next hot one that Mike’s developing. He’s not a coach.”

H

HardRightEdge

The problem you run into with guys like King, Perry, Bulaga to a certain extent, etc. is that if they can't stay healthy or their performance is up and down when they are healthy, you can't count on them, yet they take up a roster spot and you have to have someone capable of backing them up if they are injured. Basically, they create an unreliable position or weak spot on your roster.

I love King's potential, but if his outlook is just an injury plagued career, I'm all for cutting ties before his contract is up, if the Packers think they have better options.

Whatever they do, I don't think you go into 2019 relying on the idea that he will be a starter for all 16+ games.
There is cap savings to be had in cutting Perry and Bulaga. That's not case with King for 2019. His dead money for 2019 is greater than his cap savings. He'd be worth $450,000 more in 2019 on IR or as the 5th. CB riding the bench than if you cut him. It's a slam dunk he'll be on the roster for 2019 even if that's IR. What about 2020? Then his cap savings is $1.4 mil if cut? Would that make sense? Nobody can possibly know that now so why guess. What we do know is $1.4 mil even for a backup CB, if that's what it comes down to, isn't very much.

It is the glory of the rookie salary structure even as it applies to a #33 pick. 4 years for $7 mil all-in affords a lot of rope to see what you have.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King has shown to be a pretty good player when he plays. I'd like to see him and the rest of the roster prepare their bodies with someone other than Dr. Death Lovat.

H

HardRightEdge

Just "WOW" on that article and maybe this is the type of "complacency" (with McCarthy keeping him around) that Murphy said they are trying to get rid of.

"It may seem like Raih has had success as an assistant coach with the Packers, but longtime Packers report Bob McGinn doesn't see it that way. He talked to sources about the issues with the passing game in 2018 and they point the blame on Raih.

“They’ve got three young guys and they’re getting taught by a guy that doesn’t understand the offense,” one source said to McGinn. “The quarterback thinks he’s a complete fraud. Rodgers pretty much tells him he doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

McGinn talked to a member of scouting or coaching staff from the 2017 squad and he did not hold back when talking about Raih.

“David Raih is a fraud,” he said. “He’s the next hot one that Mike’s developing. He’s not a coach.”
Somebody posted this McGinn stuff a little while back. I can't recall if it was McGinn or somebody commenting on his report adding a training camp quote from Rodgers where he said he was impressed with Raih. The commentator seemed to alude to Rodgers being a hypocrite or tagging a scape goat despite the corroborating opinions rather than thinking there was a lot of shiny surface without much substance once the rubber met the road.

Anyway, his firing and hiring in AZ still isn't past the rumor stage at this point. And if his old Texas Tech coach does hire him then maybe he's not a fraud when confined to the Texas Tech offense. All will be revealed in time, and all will be forgetten soon after it happens.

Reaction score
There’s a new Sherriff in town. We can keep the Barber, the Banker, the Barkeeps, the Shoesmith and the Preacher.. ...
...but the Deputies, the Bounty Hunters and that old Posse need to go.
“Badges! We don’t need no stinkin’ Badges!”

H

HardRightEdge

King has shown to be a pretty good player when he plays. I'd like to see him and the rest of the roster prepare their bodies with someone other than Dr. Death Lovat.
I've got a pretty long list of negatives on King.
  • He doesn't have #33 pick quick-flip hips but compensates somewhat with recovery speed and height at the contested ball.
  • He's often out of position in zone coverage, kinda clueless you might say.
  • You have to wonder with these repeated shoulder injuries how well he can play press coverage going forward
  • In off coverage he shares a trait with Randall, a lack of twitchiness that shows up in a vulnerability to the inside break at the top of the route.
  • He has little slot utility.
That sounds bad, but other than the zone coverage faults he mostly gets the job done. I've seen just as bad, if not worse, from a couple starters in these playoff games. I think there's a good change he can clean some of this stuff up, or compensate for the flip and twitchiness limitations with sharpened technique. What I don't think is that he'll be a great CB, nor a really good one. Maybe decent, starter quality if you don't make him cover #1's all day.

Last but not least, he's cheap for the next 2 years, and that makes for a good risk/reward proposition.

H

HardRightEdge

There’s a new Sherriff in town. We can keep the Barber, the Banker, the Barkeeps, the Shoesmith and the Preacher.. ...
...but the Deputies, the Bounty Hunters and that old Posse need to go.
“Badges! We don’t need no stinkin’ Badges!”
Definitely the Barkeeps!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about giving Aaron Kromer, the Rams O-Line coach, one of those nice Assistant HC titles with a pay bump over whatever the Rams are paying him to be their "Run Game Coordinator"? The Rams O-Line performance against the Cowboys is one of the best I've ever seen given the variety of things they were asked to do in that offense. In fact, I believe the weakest link in that offense is Jared Goff.

I very much like Kromer, but McVay would just say we can't interview him and that would be the end of that.

H

HardRightEdge

It's an interesting question that will be endlessly debated with no clear answers likely to emerge.

It's pretty clear at this point that Murphy, sucking the air out of the room in the press conference, controlled the LaFleur hiring process and made the final call. We can safely say the McCarthy firing was his call as well. The Murphy-Gutekunst dynamic, or lets make it Murphy-Gutekunst-Ball-LeFluer dynamic as that evolves, is going to be hard to ferret out without being in the room. And what it is now may not be what it is 6 months from now.

Did Gutekunst pound the table on the LaFleur hiring, leading Murphy to the ultimate decision, while strenuously objecting to others with Murphy listening? Or is Murphy like the bosses some of us have had that make it clear where our lane is without actually drawing the lines, whereby you're forced to go along to get along while picking spots to steer the boss becomes a delicate process. At least Gutekunst talked about winning a championship whereas Murphy talked about getting back to "winning" ways which we might happily take as Gutekunst's endorsement. Maybe. There's that go along to get along thing if that's what the boss requires. :coffee:

So, at the one level of firing and hiring a head coach, I think it is fair to say Murphy was the decider. Back benching Thompson? Obviously Murhpy.

At the level of all those formerly drafted players that were picked up for injury replacements this season (2018 draft 2.0 as I call it), the choice of those particular players would have been Gutekunst's working the old scouting reports and recent tape. McCarthy may have had input into particular needs at the moment, but that should not have been subject to much debate.

In the middle, between HC firing/hiring and picking up bottom of the roster guys, there is vast middle ground. How far down will Murphy reach? We may never know. He has taken the bull by the horns in a Kraft-like way (trade Garoppolo, make nice with Brady's personal trainer, and other some such). But in the keep-or-cut Perry decision, to take just one example, is Murphy going to dip down that far in making the call or will he say, "you 3 guys work it out." Is he going to sit in the draft room and weigh in on the #12 pick as it approaches or come up with his list and avoid the room, or butt out altogether?

I'd like to think the line gets drawn at those kinds of Perry/pick decisions, roster construction and cap management, below the level of jumbo contracts. While Gutekunst keeps his thoughts close to the vest, Murphy has a newfound chattiness with respect to football operations that has been building over the last year. He may give us some clues as to where he draws the line. Maybe. :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

I very much like Kromer, but McVay would just say we can't interview him and that would be the end of that.
Maybe. So far, by rule. he couldn't interview. This time next week, after NO beats the Rams ;), that situation will become clearer. Or if the Rams happen to win that game, there's the off week before the Super Bowl opening up for interviews by rule. What McVay thinks about that remains to be seen.

The more I think about it, Kromer could be a decent OC operating under an offensive HC's architecture and play calling, and if he is approached for that job the picture could change. He's a half OC as it is in LA where there is no actual OC. And I can't get over how disciplined and precise his O-Line happens to be. That would be another divergence from slopiness and complacency in keeping with the theme.

Members online

Latest posts