Article on MY MAN, Vernand Morency

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
linky:

Mike Vandermause column: Morency is hungry for carries

By Mike Vandermause

Vernand Morency wears No. 34 for the Green Bay Packers, just like Edgar Bennett used to do. Morency weighs between 215 and 220 pounds, just like Bennett. Morency wants to be the Packers' every-down back, just like Bennett was in the mid-1990s.

Is it any wonder Morency has spent more time with Bennett, the Packers' running backs coach, than anyone else this offseason? Where Bennett goes, Morency is sure to follow. The two have spent hours discussing the finer points of the offense. Morency has become a student of the game and has picked Bennett's brain on countless occasions.

Morency is staring at the opportunity of a lifetime. After spending his first two NFL seasons as a backup, the chance to become the Packers' starting halfback is there for the taking after Ahman Green left in free agency.

"This guy is one of our hardest-working guys in the building," Bennett said. "His work ethic is phenomenal. He is a come-early, leave-late type of guy. Mo's the type of person, as long as the time permits, he'll stay in there, and we'll just keep going. He loves it. He loves what he does. That's excellent when you see a young guy with that type of passion to want to continue to learn and grow and get better."

Critics have had a field day with Morency since he was traded to the Packers last September by the Houston Texans for running back Samkon Gado. Morency's size, durability and character have been questioned. Some consider him strictly a change-of-pace back who can't handle the pounding that comes with full-time duty.

Morency tunes out the skeptics.

"I'm an every-down back," he said after practice last Thursday. "I firmly believe that I've been an every-down back all my life."

He has been forced to prove himself over and over again. At Northwestern High School in Miami, Morency followed in the footsteps of his older brother, who was a star running back. At Oklahoma State, Morency filled the big shoes left by Tatum Bell.

When the Texans traded him last year, Morency was forced to prove his worth to the Packers. He rushed for 436 yards in 96 carries (4.5 average) as Green's backup. Even now, after the Packers drafted halfback Brandon Jackson in the second round, Morency must fight for a starting job.

"My whole life is the same deal," he said. "Life is going to be like that. Nothing is given to you. You have to earn it. That's all.

"That's why I go out every single day and work hard and show the coaches that I am working hard, that I am hungry, that I love to do what I do."

Morency didn't even bother going home to pack when he heard about the trade to the Packers. Instead, he made a beeline to the airport to ensure he wouldn't miss his flight to Green Bay. "I didn't want to leave a bad impression," he said.

From the day they met, Bennett has noticed Morency's commitment and intense drive to succeed.

"One of the first things he told me when he came to town, he said, 'Coach, I want to be the best, and I'll pay whatever price I have to pay to achieve that,'" Bennett said.

Hard work and commitment don't guarantee prosperity in the NFL. No one is handing Morency a starting job. As usual, he will be forced to earn it.

"Until he really does it and proves (himself), it's all a little bit of conjecture," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin about whether Morency can be an every-down back. "There's still a lot of things we don't know about."

Bennett thinks Morency is capable of being the full-time starter.

"You know what, I think he can," he said.

Bennett sees a little bit of himself in Morency. The biggest difference, according to Bennett, is that Morency is better.

"I wish I was as elusive as Mo," Bennett said. "I haven't seen a lot of backs capable of doing some of the things he's capable of doing."

It will be up to Morency to live up to his coach's strong praise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a lot of question marks at the RB position(and rightfully so) but I am on the Morency bandwagon. He is young. He has his head on straight. He is focused. He is passionate. He stayed in GB this offseason so he could improve his game. He has gained a good amount of muscle. He is hungry. He welcomes challenges. Last year he shared time with Ahman and others, and he averaged more than any of them, which is promising. What is not to love?!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Reading this further insures that LJ will NOT be coming to the pack . . . unless we can get him for some kind of amazing deal, which I don't think will be happening.

LJ won't be a packer next season.

Reaction score
"Until he really does it and proves (himself), it's all a little bit of conjecture," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin about whether Morency can be an every-down back. "There's still a lot of things we don't know about."

Erm, well I see our new OC is really positive. :roll:

Seriously, that comment is stupid, a little more optimism wouldn't hurt.

You have to feel a little better about the RB position knowing that Mo is giving it his all in preparing for the #1 role.

I'm interested in seeing how good of a receiver he can be out of the backfield. That's something I'll keep an eye on in the preseason games.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Let me get this straight. When people are honest, it's wrong. When people sugar coat stuff, it's wrong.

What's right?

Personally, if the OC is not comfortable with the RB situation, I have no qualms with hearing that. It's a lot better than hearing a Jeff Gorden'esque sugar coat ***** dribbled comment.

We ***** about the media being inaccurate. Let's not knock the people who work with the players on a daily basis for being honest.

:shrug:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You have to feel a little better about the RB position knowing that Mo is giving it his all in preparing for the #1 role.

I'm interested in seeing how good of a receiver he can be out of the backfield. That's something I'll keep an eye on in the preseason games.

AADP- Players like people are motivated by different things.

Perhaps J.P.'s comments he made were planned to go right back to Vernand? Perhaps he was lighting a fire under Morency because he has evaluated that doubting him is the best motivator for him as a player?

RP

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

AADP- Players like people are motivated by different things.

Perhaps J.P.'s comments he made were planned to go right back to Vernand? Perhaps he was lighting a fire under Morency because he has evaluated that doubting him is the best motivator for him as a player?

RP

Yeah, thats how Scott Skiles(Chicago Bulls) works. He always says his players are good,etc, work hard,etc but he never really praises them. He ALWAYS mentions things they can do better at or work on. That is likely what this was. I don't see why it is a big deal.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares what any of them say. Morency will do fine if given a chance. He's a good RB, and might be great if given the job full time.

Reaction score
The thing is, Morency himself has said he was a #1 back in highschool, and then again in college.

Ted has said he views Mo as a #1 back.

Morency has said that he is motivated to prove all the people who doubt him wrong (there are many, besides the OC). I'm not sure how one more person (the OC in this case) would motivate him even more.

Mo's coming in early, and staying as late as he possibly can. He's said he has no problems asking Green for advice. He's trying to get on the same page as the QB. He's spending a lot of time with someone who can help him in Edgar Bennett. What more can he possibly do through being motivated?

OC JP has seen Mo in practice. Heck he even saw Mo start in two games last year. Obviously they won't know everything, but they should have an idea of how Mo will fare. I'm not denying there are still a lot of things that are unknown about Mo, but don't you think someone within the organization should be talking about what they do know about Mo?

Talk about the positives, and give the guy some support. There are goning be a ton of articles that point out the questions and unknowns about Mo between now and the season opener, some words to point out the knowns (and positives) about Mo would be more beneficial, IMO.

Reaction score
Trom, just to use the B-ball example you brought up, the Raptors new SF Jason Kapono said he signed mainly because of one thing: the GM's focus on what he can do well.

Kapono said what he loved about the organization was that Sam Mitchell, Brian colangelo, Wayne Embry, etc. called him and said "this is what we know you can do, and we think you can help us out by doing it."

Kapono said he'd heard enough about what he couldn't do, and it was such a positive to hear someone talk about what he can do.

I think that's how things should work. Mo should know that despite what others are saying, people within the organization have faith in him because they know his positives, and believe his positives will help the team and Mo himself be successful.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Allabout!!! Let the haters hate..............I will be with you on Mo's bandwagon, and when he DOES show what he can do, we can use a pitchfork to keep the jumpers from getting on with us! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how one more person (the OC in this case) would motivate him even more.

Because he is the offensive coordinator.

You answered that yourself.

Reaction score

I don't buy it. I don't think the OC is going add to Mo's motivation. Perhaps if he was in charge of the plays and O side of the ball, then maybe. But he isn't.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't buy it. I don't think the OC is going add to Mo's motivation. Perhaps if he was in charge of the plays and O side of the ball, then maybe. But he isn't.

So because he isnt in charge of the playcalling, he doesn't have any say? During a RB battle? During TRAINING CAMP when MM needs his other coaches feedback more than ever?

I know if I was in a position battle and one of the big shots somewhat called me out, it would motivate me a little more.

Whatever you say.

Reaction score
I know if I was in a position battle and one of the big shots somewhat called me out, it would motivate me a little more.

Well I can't deny that since I don't know you, but I question how much more motivated Mo can get.

By the looks of things, he's doing anything and everything he can to prepare and prove the naysayers wrong.

I just don't think Mo needs any more motivation. He's already as motivated as he's ever going to get (judging by all the work he has put in to date). That's my take on it though. so yeah whatever.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a guy who has a say whether Morency starts or not is ******* him(in your eyes, not mine) and that DOESN'T motivate Morency, then I don't want him on the team.

And yes, Philbin will have a say.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has a good point on this... No one is wrong.

For me personally. "Just go ahead and tell me I can not do something." I am going to go nuts proving it.

Perhaps for AADP (And I have no idea?) it may be he needs encouragement and faith.

Perhaps for Trom it is all about money? Tell him that if he does this he will get this. I have no idea?

No person here can know the reason, the OC made the comments, and the fact that he has obtained such a lofty perch in the game of football makes me think he knows what he is doing.

Let's put in our own terms here. All of us have jobs.

What motivates employees, in which order.

1. Money
2. Job Security.
3. Being in the loop (Knowing what is going on.)
4. Recognition.
5. Job Benefits.

Think about that for a moment. What is your order in your job?

I have read the study... Based on thousands of interviews with employees all over the country. This will surprise you all.

Here is the order that the study revealed is most important to the American Employee.

1. Recognition. Most employees found that recognition was number one.
2. Job Security.
3. Money.
4. Benefits.
5. Being in the loop.

The bottom line is we are all different. Good managers, and good coaches know their people inside and out and work with what motivates them.

R.P.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This topic just fell short of being a discussion about Morency.

Quite frankly, I hope he does put up those Willie Parker numbers. You guys ride Ahman Green all the time, but his one great season just happened to be the time his offensive line was the best in the NFL.

Morency actually had runs for more than 30 yards last season. Green never did. Morency actually made the runs exciting.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, He isn't as much of the man as Green was.

Once upon a time Ahman Green wasn't as much of a man as Dorsey Levens.

Not saying Morency is going to have the career like either or but the Packers have been fairly good at producing running backs since Bennett got here really.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

While we dont truly know if he was being honest, or was fibbing some to light a fire under V.M, but after reading the article and when V.M hears it, I bet he will work that much harder to prove him wrong

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know nothing about ALL it takes to be a great RB, or an OL , DB, or any other slot for that matter. So I ask myself how much actual LEARNING about a position actually improve the talent, or lack of talent, that is in a player? How much WORK at a position actually improves a players talent? Now I know that sounds stupid, but what I'm trying to say is that if the talent isn't there to begin with, all the study and the work isn't going to give you the talent you lack. At one time when young, I really wanted to learn to play the piano. But I lacked hand & eye coordination to do it. I also wanted to be a pilot, but my physical limitations(eyes and coordination) wouldn't allow it. I could have worked and studied forever but would never have passed the tests. You either have the innate ability to reach a certain level, or you don't. Now, Mo obviously has enough innate ability to reach THIS level. He's done that much. But if his natural ability has been reached now, no amount of study and work will make him one iota faster, more quick thinking, more elusive. It may well allow his body to absorb more punishment and last longer, but it won't make him a Gale Sayers or a Barry Sanders. Those guys worked hard too, but they had natural abilities far above most others. It's great to hear that Mo is dedicated to his job. All should be. But I tend to view a lot of this as wishful thinking. Hard work is necessary just to hold your job, but w/o the natural talents that it takes to EXCELL, you're mostly treading water and hoping for the best. I join you all in hoping Mo has a great year though. The league is full of great players and many will be go all-out this year to put him down hard and often. I hope he breaks some helmets that aren't gold.

Members online

Latest posts