Arrogant General Managers

Reaction score
Some fans I talk to say the past and present Green Bay Packer GM's see them as arrogant?
Ron Wolf
Ted Thompson
Brian Gutekunst

Not so much Ron Wolf, but T. Thompson when fans felt he couldn't wait to see Favre out the
door and his pick Rodgers as our QB.

Same with B.Gutekunst, does he want his draft pick J. Love starting instead of Rodgers???

With Gutekunst , only the next couple months will tell.

Food for Thought

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single person that knew Ted personally that would call him anything but the complete opposite of arrogant.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never heard a bad thing about Wolf or Thompson as people or as being difficult to work with. Both were always regarded as true team players and sought input from their staff for most decisions. For example, Wolf was ready to change the Packers uniforms in the early 90's but mostly everyone within the organization suggested it would be a bad idea and he listened to them. From what I've heard with Thompson, he rarely made his own draft picks - it was the coaches and scouts whom he listened to.

I don't know anything about Gute. I have been overall very satisfied with the job he has done since taking over but even before this recent Rodgers drama I heard he can be a bit of a dictator. And yes, I'm 90% convinced he wants Love to be "his" guy and I can't necessarily blame him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t or didn’t know any of them. None of them jump out to me as arrogant. If I had to choose one of them as being most arrogant of the three, I’d choose Wolf.

Reaction score
I can only say that I’ve been in contact with people who knew Ted personally (I’ve never met him personally) and they said he was an outstanding Christian guy. They had no reason to say that if it wasn’t true.
As for Wolfe, I believe Favre when he said during his HOF induction, that Ron was a consummate professional. That story Brett told about Ron initially not being at all impressed with Favres last years film at Southern Mississippi was telling. It clearly showed me that Ron could make a personnel decision and not have too much arrogant pride to change his own verdict after the fact. That’s very telling to me.
Favre and others have outwardly said what a great leader Ron was dating back to his time with The Jets or Philly or wherever he was pre-GB (I don’t recall and I’m too lazy to look it up).

Those are just the immediate things that came to mind as far as character witnesses who knew them both well. Among other stories I’ve heard they were both good men.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf was ready to change the Packers uniforms in the early 90's but mostly everyone within the organization suggested it would be a bad idea and he listened to them.
The uniforms have been changed anyway, but subtly. I'd keep the classic look given my preferences, but if he had changed the uniforms to what was proposed, I don't think it would have hurt anything. They would still be very recognizable as the Packers.

Apologies for any potential of derailing the thread.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
The uniforms have been changed anyway, but subtly. I'd keep the classic look given my preferences, but if he had changed the uniforms to what was proposed, I don't think it would have hurt anything. They would still be very recognizable as the Packers.

Apologies for any potential of derailing the thread.
I honestly would have prefered his proposal...he wanted hunter green and GOLD instead of green and cheddar yellow (similar to Notre Dame colors). It isn't like we have had the same colors since inception

Also apologies for getting off topic.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single person that knew Ted personally that would call him anything but the complete opposite of arrogant.
You don't have to even know him. Just watching him in interviews there is no trace of arrogance.

Some fans are just really really really stupid.

Wanted to see Favre out the door?

Of course every piece of evidence, every first hand account contradicts this. There is absolutely no shred of evidence that supports this.
Some fans I talk to say the past and present Green Bay Packer GM's see them as arrogant?
Ron Wolf
Ted Thompson
Brian Gutekunst

Not so much Ron Wolf, but T. Thompson when fans felt he couldn't wait to see Favre out the

Same with B.Gutekunst, does he want his draft pick J. Love starting instead of Rodgers???

Food for Thought
Because he drafts players and hopes they suceed is not being arrogant. It's his job. I doubt the people you speak with know what the word means or actually know anything about it.

Rodgers, on the other hand, is arrogant. He thinks it's all about him. Not much of a team player.

Ron wolf on local radio today called Rodgers a diva. I think most would agree.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf
Ted Thompson
Brian Gutekunst

Food for Thought

Well Mike, you apparently have been talking to the wrong people who know nothing of which they speak.

1. Ridiculous to even put Wolf and arrogance in the same post considering he was the first architect of the last 30 successful years

2. Thompson wasn't either and for once this made up narrative that he drove Favre out of here needs to stop once and for all. Only person who drove him out was Favre himself and anyone with any sense in their head knows it.

Only issue with Thompson is that he probably should have realized his health was deteriorating sooner than he did and retire a couple years prior to when he did. But he loved this organization and was never in it just for himself.

3. Gute ... Sure I've questioned his moves plenty and didn't always like what he did. But everything I've seen of him indicates he embodies the Green Bay values as much as any.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Mike, you apparently have been talking to the wrong people who know nothing of which they speak.

1. Ridiculous to even put Wolf and arrogance in the same post considering he was the first architect of the last 30 successful years

2. Thompson wasn't either and for once this made up narrative that he drove Favre out of here needs to stop once and for all. Only person who drove him out was Favre himself and anyone with any sense in their head knows it.

Only issue with Thompson is that he probably should have realized his health was deteriorating sooner than he did and retire a couple years prior to when he did. But he loved this organization and was never in it just for himself.

3. Gute ... Sure I've questioned his moves plenty and didn't always like what he did. But nothing I've seen of him indicates he embodies the Green Bay values as much as any.
I agree with everything except the logic with Wolf. Why does being successful mean he is not arrogant?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, you could have isolated incidents where he might have come off as arrogant, but I don't see him as defined by it. Those are the Jerry Jones, Trent Balke, Matt Millen, and ... Well fill in the blank types who generally create toxic environments that drive players, coaches, and others out and eventually cause dysfunction. Wolf never was guilty of that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted was nothing like any of you "seem" to know.

"Talk" to those who did and you may be enlightened

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron Wolf
Ted Thompson
Brian Gutekunst

Food for Thought

I think start too many threads on things you know nothing about

Food for thought

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
II honestly would have prefered his proposal...he wanted hunter green and GOLD instead of green and cheddar yellow (similar to Notre Dame colors). It isn't like we have had the same colors since inception
Well, Notre Dame usually wears blue (hey, just like we used to wear), but I take your point.
I liked the look of his proposal. Honestly, somewhere down the line, I wouldn't mind seeing them. If they ever decide to change the uniforms, I hope they kept that design. Maybe if we go on another 30 year losing streak, they can use them.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Notre Dame usually wears blue (hey, just like we used to wear), but I take your point.
I liked the look of his proposal. Honestly, somewhere down the line, I wouldn't mind seeing them. If they ever decide to change the uniforms, I hope they kept that design. Maybe if we go on another 30 year losing streak, they can use them.
I was hoping we would try Wolf's design in lieu of a throwback or color rush game. The worst that could happen is they are never worn again, but if they are well-received then why not make it an annual staple for a game if not as a permanent change? We could always wear current ones for throwbacks years down the road

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping we would try Wolf's design in lieu of a throwback or color rush game.
They most likely don't want to pay for the different helmets.
I don't think they fit the criteria for a color rush uniform though, I think those require the jerseys and pants to be the same color.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they fit the criteria for a color rush uniform though, I think those require the jerseys and pants to be the same color.
Oh I'm aware of costs and everything else. They wouldn't fit color rush criteria but my point was...why not use them *instead* of the color rush jerseys for a game? I'm sure the NFL would allow something like that if it meant they sold more merch

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I faintly recall something about having to use the same helmets for every game. Some other throwback scheme was modified because of that.

TAYLORBOY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think blaming Gute for this fiasco and being arrogant is off base.

Really it isn't on Gute to be "boss"

Murphy set this structure up with him as the totally in control person who EVERYBODY answered too

MLF doesn't answer to Gute....he answers to Murphy

Gute answers to Murphy

Ball answers to Murphy

Murphy placed all the power at his door...he has the "owner" power

If anybody is to blame for all the failures that has occurred it is on Murphy and the system he established..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone that labels Ted Thompson as arrogant, is undoubtedly an ignorant fool.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think blaming Gute for this fiasco and being arrogant is off base.

Really it isn't on Gute to be "boss"

Murphy set this structure up with him as the totally in control person who EVERYBODY answered too

MLF doesn't answer to Gute....he answers to Murphy

Gute answers to Murphy

Ball answers to Murphy

Murphy placed all the power at his door...he has the "owner" power

If anybody is to blame for all the failures that has occurred it is on Murphy and the system he established..
Please list in detail all of these failures you referred to.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I have no doubt in my mind that Brian Gutekunst would like to be successful beyond Aaron Rodgers. That's his job. But I think he got a little trigger happy and did it too early.

Is that because he miscalculated the decline of Rodgers? Or because he was ready to really make his own mark on the Packers? Or maybe a little of both. Who knows. But for the betterment of the Packers, he probably needs to dial it back and accommodate Rodgers for this potential 3-5 year window of winning Super Bowls.

Because Rodgers in MLF's system will continue to flourish.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most thought it was a bit early, or at least everything should have been done to support the QB we invested a ton in for the remainder of his contract as long as the cap dictated that 2-3 seasons at least. and after an MVP season, it really looks premature. Though he could have blown out a knee, never moved well again and taking a QB would have looked like it was just in time.

Football is a funny sport. it works better when everyone does their job and lets football figure out the rest.

TAYLORBOY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please list in detail all of these failures you referred to.
Well as Cool Hand Luke said..."what we have here is a failure to communicate"

That....is probably the base for this upheaval....

Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolfe and gave him full authority over the team.

When he traded for Favre the trade hinged on Favre passing a physical...Because of the removal of most of Favres colon the Packer DR's FAILED Brett's physical, nullifying the trade.

Wolfe called the Dr's and told them to do what they have to do and pass Brett's physical....they did and as they say the rest is history..

Everything went through Wolfe and he solved the problems as they occurred...

This system established by Murphy has too many communication breakdowns and now the team is trying to get out from under his mistake and the system that has finally shown it's weakness...failure of communication between too many offices...

I remember an article written by Pete Dougherty that was about how this system was set up to fail...and now we see that failure...

Members online

Latest posts