Arrington's REAL contract

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
POSTED 7:51 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:54 a.m. EDT, April 23, 2006

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS

Initially hyped as a seven-year, $49 million package with an $11 million signing bonus, the contract signed by linebacker LaVar Arrington with the New York Giants is, in actuality, a deal that averages $3.7 million per year. If Arrington hits some basic incentives, the deal is worth $5 million annually. To hits the $7 million per year figure, Arrington needs to hit some pretty high performance triggers.

More importantly, the contract pays Arrington a signing bonus of only $5.25 million, less than half the figure that initially was leaked, presumably by his agents. (Maybe they'll now claim that the bonus was changed by the Giants from $11 million to $5.25 million in the final draft of the contract -- and that they failed to notice it because they read contracts roughly as carefully as Fran Foley reads his own bio.)

The practical consequence here is that, if the Giants conclude that they made a mistake, the cap hit will be manageable. Cutting him after June 1, 2007, for example, would result in a $1.05 million cap charge in 2007, and $3.15 million in dead money come 2008.

And the package pales in comparison to the contract signed by linebacker Julian Peterson with the Seahawks. Peterson got $18 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $54 million package.

We're also somewhat surprised that the truth on the Arrington deal got out so soon. Surely, Arrington's camp didn't cough up the real numbers. From the Giants' perspective, the typical approach by NFL teams is to let the player pretend he got a great deal -- without saying anything while the ink is still wet (and before the numbers are available via the NFLPA) as to what the player really will get.

The above was from profootballtalk.com.

If these numbers are correct then one of two things can be conclude.

1. TT screwed up by not beating these numbers

2. Lavar never intended to give Green Bay a real shot.

I would have to believe it is #2. Surely we offered at least that much.

What do you guys think?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to agree that he never truly intended to sign here...Wanted to play in NY all along and just used the Pack to get NY to up their price some..

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
I would have to agree that he never truly intended to sign here...Wanted to play in NY all along and just used the Pack to get NY to up their price some..

You get the feeling Postan is doing the same thing with Woodson?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT is very bad when It comes to relating himself to other human beings, he is not the kind of guy that will make someone feel "special" and "important", he is stuborn...

He wasnt even in GB for dsome of the FA´s visits...

So my point is:

Maybe he can become a good GM, if he is as bright as said, BUT he need to hire someon with the public relations skills to be the face of the franchise..

TT will keep making big mistakes by acting as arrogant as he have been acting..

But that is my pint of view,,, and why I think he is arrogant well: I had the chance to meet him by accident outside of Clarke Hinkle Field last year, it was 2 Packer fans from Germany and one from México, the guy acted in a very arrogant way, he kind of scaped as a fish full of soap,,,, so I travel a lot and I have got to run into people by chance quite often and normally you get nice human beings but TT´s experience wasnt one to remember...

By the way we, my brother and I met Sherman 4 years ago and what he hasnt as a good gm or good coach he has as a great human being, he was very nice and cool....He took 5 minutes to talk with us and he make a point about how proud he was that fans from so far away come into GB as often as they can and how proud he was of working for GB....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think with Woodson that is another strong possiblity...Trying to drive up Tampas price. They are about $8 million under the cap, so who knows?

I agree Sherman has a great public personality, and TT does lack in that area...To me that does not mean they guy is arrogant...

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah PFT also said that the Packers tried hard to sign him before the Giants could, so it seems likely that the Packers did outbid him but he went to the giants because he wanted to stay in the conference and liked the defensive coordinator.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT is very bad when It comes to relating himself to other human beings, he is not the kind of guy that will make someone feel "special" and "important", he is stuborn...

This has been my view of him for awhile now Chamuko. It was pointed out that TT does have a fear about talking in public so this could explain a lot. Let's hope his private interactions are better ( we better hope ) !!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

This has been my view of him for awhile now Chamuko. It was pointed out that TT does have a fear about talking in public so this could explain a lot. Let's hope his private interactions are better ( we better hope ) !!!

He does come across as being shy so that would explain a lot..

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
2. Lavar never intended to give Green Bay a real shot.

I would have to believe it is #2. Surely we offered at least that much.

What do you guys think?

Everything I read before Lavar visited Green Bay on a whim was that he wanted to stay in the NFC East...maybe its a location thing, maybe its a vengance on the 'Skins thing, but he never seriously indended to sign with the Pack...it got everyone's hopes up, myself included, but I knew deep down he was gonna sign with NYG or Dallas...

my only thing with that (I'm still pulling for Lavar to do the best, as both a fan of him and also any team that is in the NFC East other than the Eagles) is that, Arrington struggled with Gibbs in Washington, a "my way or the highway" guy--I'm not sure how he'll react with Tom Coughlin, who is probably the strongest disciplinarian in the league

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LaVar Arrington's first day as a Giant was a long one that began badly. With teammate Antonio Pierce accompanying him on the ride from the D.C. area to East Rutherford on Monday, Arrington was ready to get to work immediately. Except his BMW 760 wasn't. The car broke down, leaving the two linebackers stranded for more than two hours.
-- Newark Star-Ledger

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
KARMA!!! NEXT TIME SIGN WITH THE PACKERS

:p

Members online

Latest posts