Arrigo's Packers Mock V.5.0

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers will receive a 4th round comp pick for Cullen Jenkins, a 4th for Daryn Colledge, a 7th for Brandon Jackson & Jason Spitz to go along with the Jets 7th round pick they obtained at the end of training camp.

Usually I don't like to project trades in the draft since no one knows exactly how much a team (GM) values a certain player vs a draft picks, but I did in this mock draft because I wanted to try something different. I have the Dolphins trading their 2nd round pick (42nd overall) to the Packers for Matt Flynn. I also have Packers trading out of round 1 when the player they want (Cox) is drafted and the Rams, being the team that deals back into round 1 to add another player, a CB or OL (depending on who their fist 2 selections are) that is slipping is too good to pass up.

This draft I see Thompson focusing on the defense but trying to add quality players when he can on offense. None of the offensive players would be expected to make an instant impact in 2012, unlike last year with Randall Cobb, rather fill-out the roster and provide even more depth to an already deep team.

I think the following players will be traded/cut/released, not re-signed or retire:

Chad Clifton
Scott Wells
Matt Flynn (trade to Miami for 2nd Round pick (42nd overall) in 2012)
Ryan Grant
Jarrett Bush
Erik Walden
Frank Zombo
Pat Lee

I think the following players will be or have been re-signed

JerMichael Finley (re-signed 2 years $14+ million)
Donald Driver (restructured contract)
Howard Green

Mock Draft V.5.0

Round 1: Trade to Rams for 2nd round pick (#33), 3rd round pick (#66) and 5th round pick (#99)

Round 2 (1):
Steven Gilmore-CB- South Carolina
Gilmore has all the tools the Packers look for in a corner (including the dreads) and the make-up they look for as a player. He has the size/speed and has fluid hips. He is physical and not afraid to come up and play run support. With Charles Woodson getting older and Sam Shields regressing a bit in 2011, the Packers need to plan for the future. Gilmore and Davon House (who the team is still high on) will give the Packers better depth and a couple players to contribute on ST as well.

Round 2 (2): Ronnell Lewis- OLB- Oklahoma
The Packers need to upgrade the pass rush opposite of Clay Matthews and Lewis is the perfect fit and person to do that. McCarthy inted at his combine press conference that he would like to get faster, tougher and have better tackling on the that side of the ball, Lewis provides all three. He has all world talent but there are questions about his attitude which will cause him to slip into the 2nd or even 3rd round. Lewis was late to 9 meetings (5 optional) while at OU as well as got into a "heated conversation" with the then DC Venerable. He also at times plays undisciplined. Lewis loves to hit and he plays the run exceptionally well. He has enough speed to become a good pass rusher but needs to needs to work on his pass rush moves and Lewis has really good coverage skills as well. He can also be an All-Pro player on ST as well.

Round 2 (3): Brandon Thompson- DE- Clemson
The man who caused a lot of debate here on PC. I heard the Packers were all over him at the Senior Bowl and really like him. He has prototypical size (6'2/311) for a 5 technique and is a beast. He is a monster against the run and has a surprising burst and improving pass rushing skills. Thompson would be an instant upgrade for the Packers d-line which needs some more talent.

Round 3 (1): Michael Brewster- C- Ohio St.
I suspect Scott Wells will leave via FA and only Thompson knows if he bring in a FA to take over for Wells. But Brewster brings that nasty that the Packers O-Line needs more of. He has great size and is surprisingly athletic for a Center. He would be a great compliment to the Packers young O-Line that has gotten better over the past few years.

Round 3 (2): Markelle Martin- S- Oklahoma St
Martin is a physical Safety that would add depth to the Packers secondary, in-particular the safety position with Nick Collins future uncertain. Martin is projected as a 3rd rounder but he could move up or down depending on teams needs. He isn't the ball hawk that the Packers have/had in Collins, but he can cover and plays the run extremely well.

Round 4 (1): Cyrus Grey- RB- Texas A&M
Grey fits the Packers running scheme nicely and would be a solid compliment to James Starks. He had a great combine capped off by running a 4.47. Some scouts question if he can be an every down back, but with the Packers and Mike McCarthy using a RB by committee, Grey would be fine.

Round 4 (2): Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma
Broyles has the ability to be a 1st round guy but he tore his knee up his senior year and he will most likely start the year on PUP or IR. He reminds me of Greg Jennings, he's fluid, soft hands and understands the WR position. At this point he'd be a steal IF he were to be there.

Round 4 (3): Akiem Hicks- DL- Regina
Hicks is a RAW prospect that has crazy tools and off the chart measurable's (6'4,/324, 84' wingspan). He was supposed to attend LSU but there were some recruiting issues that didn't allow Hicks to go play for the Tigers. Hicks needs work on technique and displays nice overall quickness. He has the look of a sleeper and potential to be a stud.

Round 5 (1): Nick Foles- QB- Arizona
The Packers need to fins a replacement for Matt Flynn and Foles has the size, arm strength and skill set that could make him a player to watch if he is coached up. McCarthy & Co. could really bring the best out on Foles and make him a player that, in time, could start for an NFL team.

Round 5 (2): Matt Reynolds- OT- BYU
Reynolds has the size and seems to have the ability to be a solid pro prospect. The Packers don't need him to start right away, they have Bulaga and Newhouse/Sherrod to hold it down. But with Sherrod possibly starting the season on the PUP list they do need to add depth and Reynolds would provide that.

Round 6:
Jerry Franklin- ILB- Arkansas
The Packers like what DJ Smith & Robert Francois bring to the table as a back-up's, but adding Franklin to the mix in training camp would only bring out the best in the players vying for a spot on the team as a back-up or ST player.

Round 7 (1): Chris Owusu- WR- Stanford
Owusu blew up the combine and has all kinds of ability but he got concussed last year against USC. For some reason the Stanford staff allowed him to play a week later only to get concussed again. If his medical records check out alright he could get drafted higher.

Round 7 (2): Chris Greenwood- CB- Albion
Greenwood has the size (6'1/196) and projected speed (4.37) to intrigue teams late in the draft. The level of competition is a huge question with Greenwood. He literally shut down half of the field for 3 years while attending Albion. Greenwood also has the type of personality that would make him a perfect fit in the Green Bay locker room, humble, hard working and eager to learn. This kid is more of an athlete then CB right now, but if Joe Whitt Jr. can tap into his potential like he did Shields a couple years ago, the Packers would be suddenly deep at CB.

Round 7 (3): Julian Miller- OLB- West Virginia
Bruce Irvin gets all kinds of credit and is the higher rated prospect but Miller has a knack to get to the QB.

Round 7 (4): Kelcie McCray- S- Arkansas St.
At this point in the draft you want to try and add depth and maybe catch lightning in a bottle. McCray had a nice combine and his tape is even better. He is a player that is starting to climb up draft boards.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be quite the draft, although I don't know why you wouldn't want Bruce Irvin or Vinny Curry over Ronnell Lewis in round 2, one of whom will likely be available. Michael Brewster looks good as well. If the Packers could get all those guys in rounds 1-3 I'd be stunned, like, enough to call this one of the best drafts the Packers could possibly come up with.

BTW, I think Bush is a keeper for his special teams play.

Also, if we don't resign Wells, then as of now you're looking at Evan Dietrich-Smith as our starting center. It's unrealistic to expect someone like Brewster to come in and start right away. It will take at least a year to see if he makes the grade.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would much rather have Bruce Irvin or Curry as our OLB pick but otherwise looks good.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Won't Foles be long gone by then?

I don't like using high picks on RBs, but Cyrus in round 4 would be a nice pick.
Agree about Bruce Irvin or Vinny Curry before Ronnell. But I also admit I wasn't in love with Clay Matthews 3 years ago at this time either, so what did I know about OLBers?
I thought Larry English and Aaron Maybin would be good.

Ted's Tightwad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrigo,

I respect you knowledge and love the reports but your dead wrong on Bruce Irvin and Drafting Julian Miller.

I am a WVU grad and season ticket holder. Julian Miller is not a NFL prospect he is too slow to effectively be used as a 3-4 OLB and not big enough to be a 3-4 DE. WVU play a strange 3-3-5 stack defense which really didn't suit either player. This is the reason Bruce Irvin participated in DE Drills and not OLB. He will be a dynamic OLB in a 3-4 in the NFL and he does play the run well.

Irvin is the real deal and should be our 2nd round pick, but he will not be fully effective unless Mike Neal or some other DE step in and can hold the line. Something nobody seemed to do well last season.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrigo,
Nice post and I had the same feeling about Ryan Broyles that you have, too bad he got injured. I dont think that most of the guys you have the Packers selecting in the 1st half of your mock will be there though. It may be a bit of wishful thinking on your part.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to hear Emmitt's ebonics version of the mock.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wells is gone, so is Flynn and Lee while Saturday and Bush have signed with the Packers. What are your thoughts now Arrigo?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts