Around the Forum: Week 1 - GB @ Detroit

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you've ever watched ESPN's "Around the Horn," you know what 'Buy or Sell' and "overUnder" is. You either agree(buy) a statement, or you sell(disagree) with a statement. Then you give your reasoning why you feel the way you do. I am going to do this every week before that weeks game, just so we have some things to discuss, and keep it lively. Also, please no short,lame,one word answers like "I sell...cuz they suck." "OverUnder" is pretty self explanatory. K, let's get this started.

Buy or Sell: The Detroit Lions scoring first.

-Sell: I think, even if the lions get the ball first, the packers defense can get at least 1 stop on them and score themselves.

Buy or Sell: Brett throwing an interception

-Buy: Favre will probably force one and get picked off. I still think the pack will win though.

Buy or Sell: Brett getting banged up and missing at least one play

-Sell: I think the offensive line will do just fine. There will be times when Favre is pressured, maybe even sacked, but with his offseason CORE training, and his toughness, I don't think he'll miss a play.

Buy or Sell: Paris Lenon leading the team in tackles this week

-Sell: Lenon was a stud in the last preseason game, and probably got himself in the starting lineup untill Diggs returns, but I still think Barnett will lead the team in tackles overall, and in this individual game.

Buy or Sell: Joey Thomas having better numbers than Ahmad Caroll (tacklesintspass defelections)

-Sell: Joey Thomas has played better all year, and it should continue this week.

Buy or Sell: Detroit special teams returning a kickoff to their own 40 yard line

-Sell: The special teams for the packers have been awful, but with the packers cutting all the people they did, a lot of them special teamers, I think the 'fat' has been cut (and thats not a reference to hunt). I think the special teams should do fine.

OverUnder: 2 turnovers FORCED by the Green Bay Defense

-Under: Joey Harrington is too mediocre to not throw a bad one, and he's too unsure sometimes to not hold on longer than he should. We should at least get one, but 2 might be pushing it. I see us getting 1 from Nick Collins.

OverUnder: 130 rushing yards total for Detroit

-Over: I think our run game is improved with jackson back, but the bottom line is he will not play EVERY down. Also, Kevin Jones is a very very very good running back. When ahman green gets 100 yards, do we say the other teams defense sucks? nah, we say ahman green is good, because he is. Same thing here.

OverUnder: 3 penalties on Ahmad Carroll

- Over: A lot of you know I don't like Carroll, but this isn't about that. This is about the facts. He is going to go up against (probably) Charles Rogers, and he is nowhere near good enough to hang with him. 2 holding penalties, and 2 pass interference penalties at least. Going to be a long day for Carroll.

OverUnder: 3 sacks by the GB defense
Over: Jenkins, KGB, Kampman, ACTION FACTION JACKSON. They can get pressure on him, and will get the occasional sack. 3 might be stretching it, but I am an optimistic person.

BUY OR SELL: The packers winning the game

-Buy: This game should be the begining of the end for Joey Harrington, and our offense should be rolling on all cylinders. the defense will probably struggle a bit, but do good enough to get us through this.

Packers 27, Lions 21

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
If you've ever watched ESPN's "Around the Horn," you know what 'Buy or Sell' and "overUnder" is. You either agree(buy) a statement, or you sell(disagree) with a statement. Then you give your reasoning why you feel the way you do. I am going to do this every week before that weeks game, just so we have some things to discuss, and keep it lively. Also, please no short,lame,one word answers like "I sell...cuz they suck." "OverUnder" is pretty self explanatory. K, let's get this started.

Buy or Sell: Joey Thomas having better numbers than Ahmad Caroll (tacklesintspass defelections)

-Sell: Joey Thomas has played better all year, and it should continue this week.

OK, if Joey Thomas is going to continue to play better this week, wouldn't that be a "buy"???

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes. i rushed through that. thanks for correcting it. why dont you answer them though instead of helping me find my mistakes? hmm?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Tromadz, don't be bitter at me pointing out a mistake on your part! Happens to everybody. Here's the answers that you apparently want from me.

Buy or Sell: The Detroit Lions scoring first. *Not significant to me to answer. Sorry.

-Sell: I think, even if the lions get the ball first, the packers defense can get at least 1 stop on them and score themselves.

Buy or Sell: Brett throwing an interception *Buy, he'll be keyed up for the game and will try and force one.

-Buy: Favre will probably force one and get picked off. I still think the pack will win though.

Buy or Sell: Brett getting banged up and missing at least one play *Sell. He may get banged up but not enough to miss a play.

-Sell: I think the offensive line will do just fine. There will be times when Favre is pressured, maybe even sacked, but with his offseason CORE training, and his toughness, I don't think he'll miss a play.

Buy or Sell: Paris Lenon leading the team in tackles this week *Buy. He's always made plays when he's been in the game and he is as logical of a pick as anyone.

-Sell: Lenon was a stud in the last preseason game, and probably got himself in the starting lineup untill Diggs returns, but I still think Barnett will lead the team in tackles overall, and in this individual game.

Buy or Sell: Joey Thomas having better numbers than Ahmad Caroll (tacklesintspass defelections) *Buy. He's a better player at this point.

Buy or Sell: Detroit special teams returning a kickoff to their own 40 yard line *Buy. Detroit will be able to do that at least once. It won't change the outcome of the game, but their ST are stellar and have been for some time.

-Sell: The special teams for the packers have been awful, but with the packers cutting all the people they did, a lot of them special teamers, I think the 'fat' has been cut (and thats not a reference to hunt). I think the special teams should do fine.

OverUnder: 2 turnovers FORCED by the Green Bay Defense *Under. I agree with your assessment.

-Under: Joey Harrington is too mediocre to not throw a bad one, and he's too unsure sometimes to not hold on longer than he should. We should at least get one, but 2 might be pushing it. I see us getting 1 from Nick Collins.

OverUnder: 130 rushing yards total for Detroit *Over. Detroit will have at least that many rushing yards because of the combination of our poor run defense and Kevin Jones is a flat out stud.

-Over: I think our run game is improved with jackson back, but the bottom line is he will not play EVERY down. Also, Kevin Jones is a very very very good running back. When ahman green gets 100 yards, do we say the other teams defense sucks? nah, we say ahman green is good, because he is. Same thing here.

OverUnder: 3 penalties on Ahmad Carroll *Push. I think he'll have 3 penalties in the game. 2 holding calls and 1 pass interference.

- Over: A lot of you know I don't like Carroll, but this isn't about that. This is about the facts. He is going to go up against (probably) Charles Rogers, and he is nowhere near good enough to hang with him. 2 holding penalties, and 2 pass interference penalties at least. Going to be a long day for Carroll.

OverUnder: 3 sacks by the GB defense *Over. The Packers will have a hay day against a porous Detroit O-Line. I think they have some wrinkles they will pull out in Week 1. Although Bates is not blitz happy, he saw the Rams-Lions game and knows he can get by with it.
Over: Jenkins, KGB, Kampman, ACTION FACTION JACKSON. They can get pressure on him, and will get the occasional sack. 3 might be stretching it, but I am an optimistic person.

BUY OR SELL: The packers winning the game *Buy. The Packers score at least 27 points and win this game by at least 4 points.

-Buy: This game should be the begining of the end for Joey Harrington, and our offense should be rolling on all cylinders. the defense will probably struggle a bit, but do good enough to get us through this.

Packers 27, Lions 21[/quote]

Reaction score
I got one. Buy or Sell, the Pack playing better D in the second half of games.

-Buy. This has been evident last season and this pre-season also. And the thing is that if they do play poorly first half, coaches will rip into them and motivate/help them. They will be fired up and ready to go 2nd Half.

-Sell. Lions Harrington has struggled and needs some time to get back in the groove of things. They can't hand it off to Jones for every play.

-Buy. Same reason as what Trom said.

-Sell. The Line will be just fine, or they will have to incur the wrath of coaches, media, and worst of all.... the fans :twisted:. I trust Larry B. to get the guys ready.

-Sell. He is in there for more of his coverage ability rather than run D. I think Barnett or a Saftey will lead the team with tackles.

-Sell: Joey has matured a lot, but I think Carroll will start and be just fine.

Buy or Sell: Detroit special teams returning a kickoff to their own 40 yard line

-Buy. The ST has been deadful, and you can't fix that over night. I think they will be fine as the season progresses, but they will have their struggles early on.

OverUnder: 2 turnovers FORCED by the Green Bay Defense

-Under. I think that they won't be forced, rather Harrington will make bad decisions that lead to interceptions.

OverUnder: 130 rushing yards total for Detroit

-Over. Run D will get better as season goes on. But as Trom said, Jones is a good back, who has skill.

OverUnder: 3 penalties on Ahmad Carroll

- Under. I think Carroll will have no more than two, even if at the most. I still say you are not giving Carroll enough time. He is too young, but still will be improved this season. Only 22, and that by no means is an age where people start to get it.

OverUnder: 3 sacks by the GB defense

-Under. Pack will get pressure, and a couple of sacks, but I can't see them getting three. I just can't see Kampman as a decent rusher. I hope I am wrong though.

BUY OR SELL: The packers winning the game

-Buy, BUT Don't sell the Lions short. They are not supposed to win, and they are a hungry team. Under estimating them might be the Packers downfall.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Sell: Lions will throw a pic returned for a TD by Collins

Sell: Not til week 3

Sell: He's ironman. Nuff said.

Sell: Barnett will have this.

Buy: Thomas is a stud.

Sell: It will be all the way for a TD

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over/Under- 100 rushing yards for Ahman Green
Over- I am going to say 101 yds

Over/Under- 35 pts scored by Green Bay
Under- We are good, but not that good( 24 pts)

Members online

Latest posts