Arm Chair NFL GMs. Always Brilliant AFTER the Fact...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that is pretty amazing that Thompson is hitting at a 90% clip. :tup:

...hence my ADHD comment earlier. lol

What was my exact quote: "Ted Thompson is correct in probably 90% of the roster issues that get debated in arm chair land, but year after year he's crucified. (as the team just keeps on winning)"

You wonder why people need to post a thousand pages of information to get people like you to understand something?

Yes, Thompson is correct damn near every time regarding one of his roster moves that get debated. I didn't say every draft pick, trade or signing. I'm talking about the things that get debated, as I stated.

cuz...like I said... it's kind of gutless to complain about all of his draft picks now, after the fact. In most cases few of us complained at the time. Please give me the long list of defensive players Thompson drafted that there was a major outcry of Packer fans complaining about. I'll wait for that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll do you one better.

Lacking the D: Packers Defensive Ranks Since 2011
Points Yards Passing Yards Rushing Yards Turnovers
2013 24th 25th 24th 25th 21st
2012 11th 11th 11th 17th 18th
2011 19th 32nd 32nd 14th 1st

Packers Defense in the Postseason, Since 2011
Points Yards
vs. NYG, 2011 Divisional Round 37 420
vs. MIN, 2012 Wild Card* 10 324
at SF, 2012 Divisional Round 45 579
vs. SF, 2013 Wild Card 23 381
Totals 115 1,704
Per Game (4 Games) 28.8 426.0
*Only win of the four games

If TT has drafted so well on defense how come those numbers look the way they do. I can't stand Dom Capers just as much as the next person but again i ask? what does he have to work with? no like really? what is there to work with? Your best D-linemen just served two yr's in prison, your best DB played Wr in college, and your best linebacker is head and shoulders better than the next man behind him. Yea i see no problem here smh.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Fast Forward to January 2014
2014 Vikings Record 5-10-1.
2015 Super Bowl Vegas Odds
Green Bay Packers:
15/1
Chicago Bears: 25/1
Detroit Lions: 30/1
Minnesota Vikings: 60/1 (only two teams lower in the entire NFL)
Some of these are just monumentally off the charts hilarious. Methinks they are “just a tad” more than a QB away from giving anyone headaches, other than their own fans! lol
Damn, only 60/1? If it goes to 100 or 150 to 1 I am hitting Vegas and putting $200 on them. :)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...hence my ADHD comment earlier. lol

What was my exact quote: "Ted Thompson is correct in probably 90% of the roster issues that get debated in arm chair land, but year after year he's crucified. (as the team just keeps on winning)"

You wonder why people need to post a thousand pages of information to get people like you to understand something?

Yes, Thompson is correct damn near every time regarding one of his roster moves that get debated. I didn't say every draft pick, trade or signing. I'm talking about the things that get debated, as I stated.

cuz...like I said... it's kind of gutless to complain about all of his draft picks now, after the fact. In most cases few of us complained at the time. Please give me the long list of defensive players Thompson drafted that there was a major outcry of Packer fans complaining about. I'll wait for that.

Something tells me that 90% clip isn't true. And here's why: I see you are a new member. Do me a favor and read through the draft threads the last three years. EVERY PICK gets debated here. One guy said Casey Heyward was a terrible pick because Vanderbilt is a terrible school that gets blown out every game. If you want a "long list" just read through EVERY draft thread on this site.

And just to go a little further, your cherry picking of facts is hilarious. Was TT correct on the Brad Jones extension? How about the Morgan Burnett extension? How about replacing Cullen Jenkins with Mike Neal? And before you go on another rant about "debated picks and signings" just read through the threads here. Everything done by the team is debated.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll do you one better.

Lacking the D: Packers Defensive Ranks Since 2011
Points Yards Passing Yards Rushing Yards Turnovers
2013 24th 25th 24th 25th 21st
2012 11th 11th 11th 17th 18th
2011 19th 32nd 32nd 14th 1st

Packers Defense in the Postseason, Since 2011
Points Yards
vs. NYG, 2011 Divisional Round 37 420
vs. MIN, 2012 Wild Card* 10 324
at SF, 2012 Divisional Round 45 579
vs. SF, 2013 Wild Card 23 381
Totals 115 1,704
Per Game (4 Games) 28.8 426.0
*Only win of the four games

If TT has drafted so well on defense how come those numbers look the way they do. I can't stand Dom Capers just as much as the next person but again i ask? what does he have to work with? no like really? what is there to work with? Your best D-linemen just served two yr's in prison, your best DB played Wr in college, and your best linebacker is head and shoulders better than the next man behind him. Yea i see no problem here smh.

Damn you and your facts!

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, most Ted Thompson haters are quick to point to, in classic "arm chair QB" fashion, all these "great" free agent signings once the season is over and the results are in. How many are honest about the much larger list of free agent signings that DID NOT turn out well? I notice how NONE of you Thompson critics admit to the MANY times Ted was correct and YOU were totally wrong about players.

It took me all of 5 minutes to track down just a few of your reviews from last years class of free agents. Let me tell ya, thank God you're not the Packers GM! I won't name names because that's not the point. You know who you are. ...but here are just a few ...ahem..."expert" reviews you had last year along with how these players actually played:

Bears sign OT Jermon Bushrod (5 years, $36M; $17.7M guaranteed):

Expert Arm Chair Review of Signing When it Happened: I can't take this signing seriously, so I'm not grading it seriously either. The fact that the Bears think they're actually upgrading J'Marcus Webb at left tackle by obtaining Jermon Bushrod is an absolute joke. In fact, really don't think the front office has watched a second of Bushrod's tape.Bushrod allowed tons of pressures every week. The reason his sack total was so low was because Drew Brees released the ball so quickly. Bushrod's sack numbers will increase exponentially as he's trying to block for Jay Cutler.

Fast Forward to End of Season-How Did it Work Out?:
Chicago Bears left tackle Jermon Bushrod was one of 26 players named to USA Football’s All-Fundamentals Team, a designation to honor players “who exhibit exemplary football techniques for youth players to emulate.” USA Football named 11 offensive players, 11 defensive players and four special teamers to this year’s squad with Bushrod the lone Bears representative

According to Pro Football Focus, he has allowed only three sacks and eight quarterback hits for the Bears this season. Last season, J’Marcus Webb surrendered seven sacks and required more help from tight ends and running backs.That Bushrod rarely needs help is significant. It allows tight end Martellus Bennett and running back Matt Forte to be involved in the passing game.

Colts sign OT Gosder Cherilus (5 years, $34M; $10M guaranteed):

Expert Arm Chair Review of Signing When it Happened: What the hell are the Colts thinking? Don't they actually want to make sure Andrew Luck is protected? There were so many quality right tackles available like Andre Smith and Sebastian Vollmer, so why bring in Cherilus for a ton of money? It's almost like they took advice from Millen himself.

Fast Forward to End of Season-How Did it Work Out?:
"I actually think Gosder has been ballin' out," said Castonzo, fresh off a dominating performance against two-time Chiefs Pro Bowl linebacker Tamba Hali. "I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more buzz about him for the Pro Bowl. He's been kicking a--, playing against a lot of good players and knocking them down one by one."For all the issues the Colts have endured from the interior of their offensive line, where injuries and subpar play have been ever-present obstacles, the Colts have enjoyed superb play from their offensive tackles. They have been much-needed stalwarts, not missing so much as a snap this season for a team that has started seven different offensive-line combinations.And they've done it while playing at a high level at two of the most critical positions on the field."You could say they've been the two pillars of strength," said quarterback Andrew Luck

Falcons sign RB Steven Jackson (3 years, $12M; $4M guaranteed): A Grade

Expert Arm Chair Review of Signing When it Happened: This is a great acquisition for the Falcons. Their most glaring offensive need was the running back position, and Jackson is a massive upgrade over the combination of Michael Turner and Jacquizz Rodgers. The concerns about Jackson are his age (30 in July) and workload (2,395 career carries), but even if he regresses, he'll still be much better than Turner was last season.

Fast Forward to End of Season-How Did it Work Out?: You could argue that the biggest impact he's had on his team's season came in Week 1, when he dropped what would've likely been a game-winning touchdown reception against the New Orleans Saints. Given Jackson's age and the way he's been limited by injuries this season, does it make sense for the Falcons to bring him back next season or should the Falcons cut him and move on? USA Sports

HONESTY! - I said last week that I was hoping we'd sign Jackson. The difference is, I'm well aware that Ted knows more about the game of football than I forgot and I've learned he's correct waaay more than he's wrong! ...I tend to think Ted's results MORE THAN speak for themselves.
I'm not even one of the people this is all aimed at, but we really need a "meh"/ "yawn" rating.

Last edited:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol... ahhhhhhhh...no...that quote was NOT from you. FAIL.

The quotes I pulled were in fact from some of the biggest Ted critics on the forum.

...but like I said, I'm not interested in calling anyone out by name. The point...and yes it's VERY valid... is that it's easy to criticize Ted. Why not look back on our own opinions to see how often we've been correct and Ted was wrong? It proves that most arm chair GMs would not make very good GMs. More often than not Ted was correct and they were wrong. ... but nobody is honest about these things.
Actual - proven fact. Wait, that's three words.
LINKS OR ****!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahh...questioning someones loyalties? Come on newbie!! Get off of your high horse!!
Yep. Three Years Removed From a Super Bowl and one of the winningest team
Something tells me that 90% clip isn't true. And here's why: I see you are a new member. Do me a favor and read through the draft threads the last three years. EVERY PICK gets debated here. One guy said Casey Heyward was a terrible pick because Vanderbilt is a terrible school that gets blown out every game. If you want a "long list" just read through EVERY draft thread on this site.

And just to go a little further, your cherry picking of facts is hilarious. Was TT correct on the Brad Jones extension? How about the Morgan Burnett extension? How about replacing Cullen Jenkins with Mike Neal? And before you go on another rant about "debated picks and signings" just read through the threads here. Everything done by the team is debated.

You guys and your nuebie comments. lol That's pretty funny. As if I just fell off the truck in Wisconsin and became a Packer fan last week. I followed this and other Packer forums for years. I spend over 100 hours a month in a car listening to Wisconsin sports radio and Packer fans and all of their opinions. I've been a huge Packer fan my entire life. Please don't act like you know better what fans are and are not saying about the Pack. For some of you Ted haters to pretend there aren't dozens of times Thompson has been proven correct since he's had the job, and the Thompson haters wrong, is just comical. All you can come up with are issues like Mike Neal and Burnett?! Ya... I think I rest my case. Three Years removed from the Super Bowl win. You are just sad.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Three Years Removed From a Super Bowl and one of the winningest team

You guys and your nuebie comments. lol That's pretty funny. As if I just fell off the truck in Wisconsin and became a Packer fan last week. I followed this and other Packer forums for years. I spend over 100 hours a month in a car listening to Wisconsin sports radio and Packer fans and all of their opinions. I've been a huge Packer fan my entire life. Please don't act like you know better what fans are and are not saying about the Pack. For some of you Ted haters to pretend there aren't dozens of times Thompson has been proven correct since he's had the job, and the Thompson haters wrong, is just comical. All you can come up with are issues like Mike Neal and Burnett?! Ya... I think I rest my case. Three Years removed from the Super Bowl win. You are just sad.
No dude, he's saying you're new to the forum. Jeez get your context strait.

Also:
Please don't act like you know better what fans are and are not saying about the Pack.
What makes you such a qualified individual to talk on such matter?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao... I also think it's pretty telling that I notice most of you harder core Thompson critics have been Packer fans for decades less than most fans that appreciate winning the Superbowl three years ago... and winning the division yet again. I suspect you might feel like we do had you lived thru the brutal years of Packer football.

S=P=O-I=L=E=D

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao... I also think it's pretty telling that I notice most of you harder core Thompson critics have been Packer fans for decades less than most fans that appreciate winning the Superbowl three years ago... and winning the division yet again. I suspect you might feel like we do had you lived thru the brutal years of Packer football.

S=P=O-I=L=E=D
Can we stop with the age bashing, that is ridiculously pointless.

And yes, Packers fans of late have been spoiled regarding the team's sustained success due in part to having another HoF quality QB to take the place of Favre when he left. That hover does not invalidate their opinion. Though your lack of anything more than anecdotes does diminish yours.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No dude, he's saying you're new to the forum. Jeez get your context strait.

Also:

What makes you such a qualified individual to talk on such matter?

I know..."dude". lol.

Sorry... I should know better. I have kids that have been Packer fans longer. I know the deal. I get it. My bad. Packers suck.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know..."dude". lol.

Sorry... I should know better. I have kids that have been Packer fans longer. I know the deal. I get it. My bad. Packers suck.
Obviously you didn't if you went off on a tangential rant talking about how long you've been a Packer fan. It is entirely irreverent in the context of the conversation. NFC just said that you were new to the forum and obviously unfamiliar with the entirety of the conversations that have been held at length on this site since the SB win 3 years ago.

Also I've not once said that the Packers suck, or even implied that much for that matter, don't put words in my mouth.

I started watching football in '94 not sure what you want from me there or what you're trying to imply. Veiled weak ad hominem I'll take that as.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts