Are we rebuilding or not rebuilding..? That is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to TT and MM, the Packers are not rebuilding.

If that is not the case, then do you think it was wise to....

1. Fire MS and hire MM..
2. Let Bates go and promote Sanders...
3. Let MM hire Kurt Shottenheimer...
4. Let Javon Walker go...
5. Start two rookies on the Offensive Line...
6. Bring in a completely new blocking scheme..
7. Try to re-build the defense, offensive line, WR corps, and RB's all at the same time...
8. Let Grady go..
9. Let Ahmad Carroll go..
10. Encourage Brett Favre to return...?

Hindsight being 20/20....I'm interested in seeing what people think about these things here..

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Are we rebuilding or not rebuilding..? That is the quest

Teams rarely ever admit to "rebuilding" as its negative connotation can have adverse effects on young players. Obviously, the team is rebuilding. Purging vets, and bringing in youngsters to be competitive for the future. The new GM has a plan. Give it a chance and quit calling for heads already (not you specifically).

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BearPerspective said:
Teams rarely ever admit to "rebuilding" as its negative connotation can have adverse effects on young players. Obviously, the team is rebuilding. Purging vets, and bringing in youngsters to be competitive for the future. The new GM has a plan. Give it a chance and quit calling for heads already (not you specifically).

Exactly. They are rebuilding, but they just don't want to call it that.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BearPerspective said:

The problem is it is unorganized and sloppy. We are letting veterans go and in thier place starting Rookies all the while encouraging Brett to return and paying 40000 million dollars to an old and injury prone corner.

It's contradicting.

TT has this idea of building a team yet does things that confuse me. Carroll being released was just one of them. Carrol was young and noone will argue he had talent but was struggling on the field. Why not let him stick around and work on his game like the rest of this young team. It'snot like he was costing us a Super Bowl run. We aren't going to win without Carroll either. Collins isn't exactly showing improvement either.

TT seems to take one step forward and two steps back. Ok, we do not have another CB right now. So is Bush or the amazing Blackmon going to step in and be the answer? Of course not, now we will have to struggle through the growing pains with them.

The FB position was another example. Leach was let go after a solid showing in Chicago. TT's plan was to have a TE take his spot......are you kidding me? After that experiment proved disasterous he was left bringing up a kid from the practice squad. You saw how that worked out when we couldn't punch it in from the 1 yardline 4 straight times. Why not release Humphrey instead of the best FB on your team. Leach wasn't great but was improving, then he was cut so we could start back at square one. It's mind boggling.

I don't know what TT is trying to do, I for the life of me can't figure it out. In one move you think he is trying to win now, then he goes in the complete opposite direction and does something to make it look like he's rebuilding. The truth is I don't think TT has a plan in place and can't commit one way or the other.

Perhaps someone else knows, but honestly I am confused

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ahaug82 said:
BearPerspective said:

Then why did he tell Brett he was NOT rebuilding and why did he pay an oft-injured old Woodson the kind of money he did?

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It does strike me as odd just to cut a 1st round CB after a bad showing...especially considering that he obviously must have been playing well enough in practice to warrant real game time. But at the same time, Chicago cut a guy last year named Bobby Wade for fumbling four punt returns in one game. He is now a starter in Tennessee. Was that the right move? Maybe it was for both parties.

All Im saying is that it takes time with these things. I lurk over here alot, and you guys go from apathy to outrage to playoff bound back to outrage in a matter of hours. If by this time next season, draft picks like Hawk arent flourishing, and Rogers still isnt playing and the line is still terrible, then yeah, you can be concerned, but the coaches are really still trying to figure out who can even compete at the pro level in this new system. 4 games isnt going to do it. I know you guys want immediate results, but it dont work like that.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
BearPerspective said:

The problem is it is unorganized and sloppy. We are letting veterans go and in thier place starting Rookies all the while encouraging Brett to return and paying 40000 million dollars to an old and injury prone corner.

It's contradicting.

TT has this idea of building a team yet does things that confuse me. Carroll being released was just one of them. Carrol was young and noone will argue he had talent but was struggling on the field. Why not let him stick around and work on his game like the rest of this young team. It'snot like he was costing us a Super Bowl run. We aren't going to win without Carroll either. Collins isn't exactly showing improvement either.

TT seems to take one step forward and two steps back. Ok, we do not have another CB right now. So is Bush or the amazing Blackmon going to step in and be the answer? Of course not, now we will have to struggle through the growing pains with them.

The FB position was another example. Leach was let go after a solid showing in Chicago. TT's plan was to have a TE take his spot......are you kidding me? After that experiment proved disasterous he was left bringing up a kid from the practice squad. You saw how that worked out when we couldn't punch it in from the 1 yardline 4 straight times. Why not release Humphrey instead of the best FB on your team. Leach wasn't great but was improving, then he was cut so we could start back at square one. It's mind boggling.

I don't know what TT is trying to do, I for the life of me can't figure it out. In one move you think he is trying to win now, then he goes in the complete opposite direction and does something to make it look like he's rebuilding. The truth is I don't think TT has a plan in place and can't commit one way or the other.

Perhaps someone else knows, but honestly I am confused

Wow, that was very well put. You made some solid points and put together a well thought out argument. I'm proud of you. :wink:

I don't know if Thompson is the guy to rebuild this team. Besides his drafts, he hasn't made many moves that aren't questionable at best. All I know is that we really won't know if he's doing a good job until a few years from now.

The only answer I have for the Favre and Woodson questions is that maybe he wants to sell tickets, but I guess that's not really a factor for this team since there is a 30 year line for season tickets. Maybe he just doesn't want to lose every game?

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
ahaug82 said:
BearPerspective said:

Then why did he tell Brett he was NOT rebuilding and why did he pay an oft-injured old Woodson the kind of money he did?

Simple. Fans dont pay to see "rebuilding". Fans pay to see Favre and since you had the cap space, why not create some excitement and sell some Woodson Jerseys while at it?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GB has a problem putting folks in the stand. We just as well could have sold Horton jerseys. Hell I got a Gado jersey, by the way, thanks TT!

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I don't think GB has a problem putting folks in the stand. We just as well could have sold Horton jerseys. Hell I got a Gado jersey, by the way, thanks TT!

Can you say EBAY? Maybe there is a Packer Fan up Nort that didn't hear about the trade.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

4thand26 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Can you say EBAY? Maybe there is a Packer Fan up Nort that didn't hear about the trade.

:lol:

OP
OP
M

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

I bet you alot of people would buy that Gado jersey Pyle...for sentimental value.

I have a "Levens" jersey and a "Majik" jersey...

Looking for a "Query" though...

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

Well, I say "tickets" but I just mean merchandising in general. More people watch interesting teams, and the more people watch, the more advertisers, advertising dollars, etc... the list goes on. There is definite reasons to bring in big names.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Ya because we don't get news in our igloos :lol:
That is the frrustrating buying jerseys now cause no one lasts more then a year. That's why I just started collecting different Favre jerseys. Oh man PopC going to be mad I'm off topic :-?

Reaction score

In essence, this is a thread about the moves TT has made.

Please keep all future discussion to one thread, located here.

Thanks for the thought provoking question majik, I'll transfer it over. :)

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts