Are we really equipped to run a dominant 3-4?

Ed DeCosmo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this after watching some of our games from this season I have DVR'd and I have to say our defensive issues go beyond just our lack of pass rush at OLB and in our front 3, but I think our Inside Backers are just as responsible.

Not just for our lack of pass rush because Capers likes to Blitz our inside linebackers with frequency, but it seems that a large portion of the big plays that we've given up were right down the middle of the field. Not only do our Inside Backers have issues getting off blocks on blitzes, but they have a issues in coverage and they are not good tacklers which have repeatedly resulted in 6 yard runs or receptions turning into 15-20 yard plays.

The strength of a good 3-4 defense after the obvious Nose Tackle is the linebackers. Not just the outside linebackers but the Inside Linebackers as well. You look at undoubtely the most successful 3-4 defense this season and probably in recent memory, the Niners.

They were obviously dominant up front but at linebacker they were the gold standard for what you want in a 3-4 scheme. They have speed, they can pass rush, they can cover and most importantly they can wrap up tackle.

I'm seriously questioning now whether a 3-4 scheme is right for us. Because, screw our issues at defensive end, we are trying to play a scheme of defense that demands that we have 4 good linebackers and right now I'm only seeing one. And that's Matthews. The only other guy you could make a case for is Bishop.

Now obviously we will have an opportunity to address this in the offseason and in the draft, but will they. Will it even yield any results?

Do you think they will even make an attempt? Because even if we acquire another Pass Rusher at OLB, we still have Bishop who is still a young player and AJ Hawk who has just proven to be awful and clearly not worth what he's being paid.

Ed DeCosmo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Erik Walden came along A.J. Hawk was the weakest linebacker. Why sign him to a multi-year contact? Hawk isn't quick enough for outside nor strong enough for the inside. Maybe there's a team in need of a mediocre linebacker. Who can believe TT can find two linebackers in the draft ready to play? He's going to have to sign a free agent with experience for inside or outside.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts