Are the Vikings cursed?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know about Bobby Lane in Detroit, but anybody know any of the Vikings? (You know, besides the one I and probably you toss each and every season?)

They just can't do it. They allways choke when it matters. Even when they have a far better team, they choke.

I mean, by God, what's the matter with them? It must be some kind of curse or something...

Sure, they've won from us in important games in regular season. There's even that postseason victory.

But why can't they win the big ones?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I already have to hear about the Scrubs goat curse most of the year, I prefer not to hear that the Queens are too.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what you mean RS. Longwell just doesn't seem to pull it together at the right times. He should have willed the team to get them into FG territory, but he failed.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name the last time they had a really good coach?
Either you have a good coach that takes a good team and wins... or you just have a superior player that wins it all for a decent coach.

Look at the past winners...
Mike Tomlin... wow if only Zigi knew about him... wait, he was on the Vikings.
Tom Coughlin... decent coach, but a Defensive Line that dominated... I would trade the Giants D-Line that year for the Vikes D-Line any day.
Tony Dungy... Okay coach, but had superior player in Peyton... Don't give me the argument that Brett Favre or Adrian Peterson are superior players... we all saw their flaws against the saints.
Bill Cowher... Hall of Fame coach
Bill Belichick... Hall of Fame coach

Until the Vikings get rid of Brad Childress... there is no chance they will win the Super Bowl. Too bad they signed that extension already.

Oh yeah, must I forget that the Packers had Mike Holmgren. Only guy I remember chewing out Brett Favre for throwing an interception. And Holmgren would have went crazy and benched Peterson for the rest of the game for his dumb fumbles. If the Vikings had Holmgren... they probably would have won.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name the last time they had a really good coach?
Either you have a good coach that takes a good team and wins... or you just have a superior player that wins it all for a decent coach.
Until the Vikings get rid of Brad Childress... there is no chance they will win the Super Bowl. Too bad they signed that extension already.
It's a bit of both.
Good coach + Good team + Luck + Timing = Wins.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Childress is horrible. What sucks is that Darrell Bevelle probably would have coached a better game than Childress. You know you suck at coaching when those below you probably are better coaches at the current moment. Leslie Frazier will be a great coach. If Zigi wants to make a good move, then fire Childress and promote Frazier to head coach. At least the defense will stay good. For the sake of the Packers, let's hope that they keep Childress.
Obviously assistant coaches that leave the Vikings do pretty well. Look at Brian Billick and Mike Tomlin.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I try to curse them every year as sort of a booster shot to any bigger curses that might be floating around. Usually a curse involves a disgruntled ex-player or coach. In the case of the Vikings, I think the curse is that hell hole of a stadium they play in. What a dump! Try building something that will give your fans their money's worth. Maybe the karma will change then.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to Brad Childress.
In our house we think that he looks more like a college professor than an NFL head coach.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Brad Childress is horrible. What sucks is that Darrell Bevelle probably would have coached a better game than Childress. You know you suck at coaching when those below you probably are better coaches at the current moment. Leslie Frazier will be a great coach. If Zigi wants to make a good move, then fire Childress and promote Frazier to head coach. At least the defense will stay good. For the sake of the Packers, let's hope that they keep Childress.
Obviously assistant coaches that leave the Vikings do pretty well. Look at Brian Billick and Mike Tomlin.

Couldn't agree more. Luckily for the Packers Childress will still be their coach next year. Hopefully Favre will retire and they will have to go with T-Jack. God that would be great.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree that BC is a bad coach. Since his hire in 2006, the Vikings have improved two wins a season from a record of 6-10 to 12-4 this season. Any way you look at it, that's improvement and it warranted the extension. In fact, I think he has been better than Steckel, Burns, Greene, and Tice. But no where near Bud Grant or Norm VanBrocklin.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I have to disagree that BC is a bad coach. Since his hire in 2006, the Vikings have improved two wins a season from a record of 6-10 to 12-4 this season. Any way you look at it, that's improvement and it warranted the extension. In fact, I think he has been better than Steckel, Burns, Greene, and Tice. But no where near Bud Grant or Norm VanBrocklin.

I don't know. They have a lot of talent - I mean just look at the pro bowl roster. The front 7 of their D has been one of the best. Their OL has been pretty good and then there is Adrian Peterson who is great when he isn't dropping the rock on the ground. They have acquired difference makers every year that have helped improve their win total, be it AD, that calf buggerer Allen, or Favre... Personally, I think Childress is crap. I think they win in spite of him and when I heard they extended him I did a happy dance.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Rick Spielman is the reason that team is good. Any two-bit coach could have gotten the Vikings as far as they got this year. They have the best one-two punch at running back in the league. They have the best defensive line (IMO) and one of the best offensive lines around. Spielman has put together a good cast of characters. Last night showed me how bad Childress is. With a minute left in the game last night the Vikings allowed 30 seconds to come off the clock with accomplishing nothing, as well as the 12 men in the huddle penalty. This is just poor coaching in my opinion. Whether you are a Vike fan or not (obviously I am not) you can't deny they are a better team than the saints and should have won last night. Childress is the same coach Mike Sherman was. A ****** coach, but lucky in the fact that he is coaching good players.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. They have a lot of talent - I mean just look at the pro bowl roster. The front 7 of their D has been one of the best. Their OL has been pretty good and then there is Adrian Peterson who is great when he isn't dropping the rock on the ground. They have acquired difference makers every year that have helped improve their win total, be it AD, that calf buggerer Allen, or Favre... Personally, I think Childress is crap. I think they win in spite of him and when I heard they extended him I did a happy dance.

You are right, but some of those moves are going to backfire.

Their OL has been pretty good:
Not anymore... McKinnie is overrated. Hutchinson on the decline. Should have never let Birk go. RG is a nobody. RT- Rookie overachieved, and will have the sophomore slump.

Adrian Peterson who is great when he isn't dropping the rock on the ground
Wow. How can you say that. He isn't great until he gets rid of the drops. By far... Chris Johnson is the best running back in the league. I'm sure the Vikings would take the trade any day and the Titans would not.

that calf buggerer Allen
Extremely overrated. Broadcasters said that Frazier allows Allen to freelance. Meaning- its hit or miss. Next year won't be so magical for him.

Harvin
Migraines won't go away

Favre
Up and down as we all know.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Rick Spielman is the reason that team is good. Any two-bit coach could have gotten the Vikings as far as they got this year. They have the best one-two punch at running back in the league. They have the best defensive line (IMO) and one of the best offensive lines around. Spielman has put together a good cast of characters. Last night showed me how bad Childress is. With a minute left in the game last night the Vikings allowed 30 seconds to come off the clock with accomplishing nothing, as well as the 12 men in the huddle penalty. This is just poor coaching in my opinion. Whether you are a Vike fan or not (obviously I am not) you can't deny they are a better team than the saints and should have won last night. Childress is the same coach Mike Sherman was. A ****** coach, but lucky in the fact that he is coaching good players.
Spielman and Childress both make decision's on who to bring in and draft. Bevell is the one doing the play calling during the games. The 12 men in the huddle, well that's just someone not getting the play change on the sidelines. As far as the defense goes, only 2 starter were there before Childress. Williams and Williams. everyone else has been replaced. Say what you want about Childress, a lot of Viking fans don't like him either. And most think he looks like "Chester the molester". (if you have to ask, you're not old enough to know.) Coaches don't have to be liked by the fans to be good.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I never said they were built for the long haul. They took a chance on Allen not drinking and driving any more. So far so good. Over-rated? Yeah, I'd agree but he is a good player. Peterson was often talked of as the best player in the league before favre came to town and took the rock out of his hands and before he developed fumblitis. I agree with you totally, until he fixes that he will be behind Johnson. But he is still a remarkable talent and I'd take him on our team any day of the week. I agree about the aging and decline that is coming. Their clock is ticking. Hutchinson and McKinnie aren't getting any younger and I always thought McKinnie was over-rated to begin with. Pat Williams doesn't have much left, who knows about the future of EJ Henderson?

They have a good team but they made a deal with the devil - favre. Now his offseason kabuki dance is their problem. Favre or no favre I see us overtaking them next season and the gap only getting wider for a few years after next. Our talent is young with room to still improve. Rodgers has not scratched the surface of his potential yet, nor has CWIII. Those 2 will be our offensive and defensive leaders for the next 8-10 years. We have plenty of young talent around them on both sides of the ball. I want favre back because I want the PACKERS to put the kind of beat down on him the Saints did, all while his *** is getting booed again at Lambeau!
You are right, but some of those moves are going to backfire.

Their OL has been pretty good:
Not anymore... McKinnie is overrated. Hutchinson on the decline. Should have never let Birk go. RG is a nobody. RT- Rookie overachieved, and will have the sophomore slump.

Adrian Peterson who is great when he isn't dropping the rock on the ground
Wow. How can you say that. He isn't great until he gets rid of the drops. By far... Chris Johnson is the best running back in the league. I'm sure the Vikings would take the trade any day and the Titans would not.

that calf buggerer Allen
Extremely overrated. Broadcasters said that Frazier allows Allen to freelance. Meaning- its hit or miss. Next year won't be so magical for him.

Harvin
Migraines won't go away

Favre
Up and down as we all know.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Allen is overrated.

I think he tends to take some games off.

But, since 2005, he's second in the NFL in sacks, only behind Ware.

-

He's a dirty player, and a big *********, no doubt about it.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not cursed. Brad Childress is a horrible coach. Darrell Bevelle has no business being an offensive coordinator. Enough said.

You really believe that? Just take a look at the offensive and defensive numbers Minnesota put up against Dallas and New Orleans - borderline dominating numbers.

If Favre returns, I'd hate to be one of Minnesota's opponents in 2010.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You really believe that? Just take a look at the offensive and defensive numbers Minnesota put up against Dallas and New Orleans - borderline dominating numbers.

If Favre returns, I'd hate to be one of Minnesota's opponents in 2010.

other than a nfc championship game opponent then I would love for him to be the q/b

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I never said they were built for the long haul. They took a chance on Allen not drinking and driving any more. So far so good. Over-rated? Yeah, I'd agree but he is a good player. Peterson was often talked of as the best player in the league before favre came to town and took the rock out of his hands and before he developed fumblitis. I agree with you totally, until he fixes that he will be behind Johnson. But he is still a remarkable talent and I'd take him on our team any day of the week. I agree about the aging and decline that is coming. Their clock is ticking. Hutchinson and McKinnie aren't getting any younger and I always thought McKinnie was over-rated to begin with. Pat Williams doesn't have much left, who knows about the future of EJ Henderson?

They have a good team but they made a deal with the devil - favre. Now his offseason kabuki dance is their problem. Favre or no favre I see us overtaking them next season and the gap only getting wider for a few years after next. Our talent is young with room to still improve. Rodgers has not scratched the surface of his potential yet, nor has CWIII. Those 2 will be our offensive and defensive leaders for the next 8-10 years. We have plenty of young talent around them on both sides of the ball. I want favre back because I want the PACKERS to put the kind of beat down on him the Saints did, all while his *** is getting booed again at Lambeau!
I love how everyone thinks the Vikings are getting old. Just a few stats first.

Average age:
Vikings Defense 27.2 (that's with P. Williams, 25.8 without him.) 4.3 years experience.(3.8 without P. Williams)
Packers Defense 26.7, 4 years of experience

Of course that is with Pickett, if the Packer decide to keep him. I figure they let him go and depend on Raji and find a backup for him. Without Pickett it drops to 25.8 years old and 3.7 years experience.

Of course the Packers also have to address Tasucher and Clifton. We all know how well they did without Tauscher. Tauscher and Clifton are both older then McKinnie and Hutchnison. But TT probably wont want to pay them so they will both more then likely be gone.

With Tauscher and Clifton the age of the Packers O-line is 29.4, the Vikings is 24.5 But the Vikings are getting old.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I love how everyone thinks the Vikings are getting old. Just a few stats first.

Average age:
Vikings Defense 27.2 (that's with P. Williams, 25.8 without him.) 4.3 years experience.(3.8 without P. Williams)
Packers Defense 26.7, 4 years of experience

Of course that is with Pickett, if the Packer decide to keep him. I figure they let him go and depend on Raji and find a backup for him. Without Pickett it drops to 25.8 years old and 3.7 years experience.

Of course the Packers also have to address Tasucher and Clifton. We all know how well they did without Tauscher. Tauscher and Clifton are both older then McKinnie and Hutchnison. But TT probably wont want to pay them so they will both more then likely be gone.

With Tauscher and Clifton the age of the Packers O-line is 29.4, the Vikings is 24.5 But the Vikings are getting old.
Key positions are getting old and injured. Obviously not the whole team there Einstein, you draft new guys just like everyone else. Your QB is 40. Guys like Pat Williams come to mind. McKinnie and Hutchinson too. How about Winfield? Add in Henderson just because of the horrific injury. Your purple helmet boys have a LOT of their key guys that they are going to replace soon. Tauscher and Clifton? Sure, but they are barely serviceable now as it is. We are not talking about replacing guys who are at the top of the heap at their positions. Right now, on our roster I only see one guy that is an excellent player who is getting up there and that is Woodson.

Green Bay has one of the best young cores in the league. Piece one is the QB. We have a guy who has 10 years of great football ahead of him. You have favre (or maybe you don't) and then you got nothing. That is the single biggest piece of any football team. We have Jennings and Finley - you have Rice and Harvin. Pretty much a wash there. You have Peterson - who is being WASTED in the favre experiment. The shelf life of RBs is always one of the shortest. We'll see how that plays out. We have Grant who isn't the player Peterson is, but it would also take Grant about 3 seasons to cough the ball up as many times as AD did in the NFCC game too. You have Loadholdt, we have Sitton so each has one solid young OLman. On D, I don't see a Clay Matthews anywhere on your roster. Greenway is a good player but Matthews was better than Greenway was this year and he was a rookie. We'll see what happens with Raji. And for young DBs I'd take Collins over anything you have in a heartbeat.

So, when it comes to YOUNG talent, I like GB's better. The fact that we have a young star QB and you don't obviously puts the queens at a big disadvantage. I think that IF favre comes back for you, the two teams will be fighting tooth and nail for the division and probably conference next year. If he doesn't your boys will be sucking our tail pipe next year and probably for years to come.

It is my opinion - and only that. That is why they play the games.

Members online

Latest posts