Are Packer fans as bad as Boston/New York fans?

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

STOP IT! Everybody just STOP! STOP making excuses for shoddy play! JUST STOP! There is NO excuse for the effort we saw in that playoff game, or in the effort we saw out of this WHOLE team from about week 12 forward. If you think there is, please...go join the Rams board. This place if it ISN'T, it SHOULD BE for knowledgeable Packer fans that CARE about the team, and that live and die with this team they way it used to be, and that are TRUE fans, that KNOW that any loss means 'something wasn't fixed, and needs to be in the future'. You apologists just STOP!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
STOP IT! Everybody just STOP! STOP making excuses for shoddy play! JUST STOP! There is NO excuse for the effort we saw in that playoff game, or in the effort we saw out of this WHOLE team from about week 12 forward. If you think there is, please...go join the Rams board. This place if it ISN'T, it SHOULD BE for knowledgeable Packer fans that CARE about the team, and that live and die with this team they way it used to be, and that are TRUE fans, that KNOW that any loss means 'something wasn't fixed, and needs to be in the future'. You apologists just STOP!

Normally this is a board that tends to see the glass half full regarding the Packers. If you prefer a board where everyone is whining and moaning about the team, may I suggest the Packer forums at Scout.com or the Official Brett Favre site? You're not gonna find a lot of people raving against the team on this board.

Your post insinuates that the folks on this board are not knowledgeable Packer fans who care about their team. There are season ticket holders on this board. There are people with family links to the Packer organization on this board. There are media members on this board. There are a variety of people on this board who live in Green Bay and I've found most of them have a very high degree of knowledge about the Packers. Some even know the real ins and outs of a professional franchise. I've been a well read Packer fan a long time, yet I don't think I hold a candle to what a lot of these folks know.

It's also offensive that you, a very recent poster, think you can come over here and tell long time subscribers to go to some other board. Personally, I respect the opinions of the folks who have been around here a while. Maybe less posting and more reading on your part would help you gain some insight and a "feel" for the tenor of this board.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Croak,

So what that the old posters love everything they Packers do? If they want to be proud of abject failure, let them be, I'm just suggesting a team that will be more their speed, where they rightfully have no reason to expect anything from. Their 'yay the Packer sucked this year' posts and attitudes are JUST as disrespectful!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is just rich coming from a Favre fan. If only we had the name you were posting under and the site(s), it would be great to see apology central after all of Favre's playoff blunders. And to be lectured about caring about the team from a Favre apologists? That's the essence of irony and unintended humor. BTW, where were you last year after "your" team won the Super Bowl?

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STOP IT! Everybody just STOP! STOP making excuses for shoddy play! JUST STOP!
Man, that's just harsh. I'll respect your opinion but think it's wrong. I'm still a competitive athlete at my age. I've been on great teams in the past that have faltered in playoff situations...badly. In one-and-done game scenarios you never know what you're going to get. Teams can have bad games. Other teams can do a lot to disrupt and take you out of your game. I know that you want to put this all on the players, so go ahead.

This place if it ISN'T, it SHOULD BE for knowledgeable Packer fans that CARE about the team, and that live and die with this team they way it used to be, and that are TRUE fans, that KNOW that any loss means 'something wasn't fixed, and needs to be in the future'.

Also, don't speak for all Packer fans anymore. Telling us what it means to be a "true" fan puts you on an island my friend.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Basically I agree with this entire post but want to add a little more. When you are a fan or apart of a storied franchise like the Packers you demand greatness. Other organizations don't have the luxury to do this, we do. The OP mentioned the Yankees, they are one of the few sports organizations that can demand greatness and championships from their team as well. Should we get upset if we have a season like we did and don't win the super bowl? Yes. Now does that mean we write hate letters to packers players or coaches or do anything else that is way out of line and stupid. No. I am frustrated with how we ended the season and hope that we can come back next year and win another championship.
Now I know you were not around for the Dan Devine era. Hate mail, death threats, signs on business telling Devine to stay away......

I would add killing his dog, but that is just a myth.......I think......

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I'll take these posts in reverse order.

Raptorman,

I can say with 99% accuracy the dog thing happened, it might've been Bengston though, NOT Devine. I haven't been able to find out for sure which one though.

El Guapo,

I'm not harsh. I'm honest about my team, warts and all. And honestly when I'm seeing player wives yelling on social media websites (Confirmed wives) about their own husband's play, as a fan I don't think I'm that far off! If I'm on an island that's fine, those of you not on my island will only be part of Packer Nation until they go 1-15 again, then you guys will follow some other team because the Packers will suck then and it won't be fashionable anymore. I'm cool with that, matter of fact I'd rather have it that way. A 'good record' doesn't take away from what this team DID accomplish...which was NOTHING!

ThxJack,

Where do I start with you? Well with the truth would be a good place to start I guess. It's cause of 'fans' like you that I LEFT last summer, and didn't come back after the Superbowl to hear you gloat about 'how good Aaron is'. Yes the kid is good, won't deny it. But what's his QBR, Passer Rating or Record in games decided by less than a touchdown. And don't bring up the Superbowl, cause the defense went Mariano Rivera on the Steelers in that game. Fans like you also accuse me of being a Favre apologist, or the most recent and BEST of all was the clown in one of the threads I've posted in accusing me of being Brett directly. So this board is run so that if I say 'Bad Aaron' y'all say 'Shut up Brett'? And if I say 'Bad Brett' I become popular here? It's better to be hated for who you are (A football and Packer fan who knows his stuff) than be loved for who you're not (A totally blind Rodgers lover)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have we gotten to the point where winning the Super Bowl one year, then winning 15 of 16 games the next year isn't good enough for our fan base? I feel like we're starting sound like the whiny Yankees fans, who cry if they haven't added a championship pennant to the stadium walls in the last 5 years.
Well, there's at least one around here who fits this description. :whistling:

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

(Breathes deeply) People who shrug their shoulders and say 'we'll be ok' will always shrug their shoulders and say 'we'll be ok' no matter what, even when the team goes 0-16 or 1-15. They never want change, until something IS changed, and it works out. People like me, see problems ahead of time and realize that these players and coaches have a job that involves making scheme or attitude changes, or improving their skills in any area they are deficient. People who shrug their shoulders and say 'we'll be ok' never get out of data entry jobs if we want to put it in a non-football context, or if they do become an exec, they end up working for Enron. Some shockingly in this world, even get fired for their complacent 'we'll be ok' attitude. People who see things wrong, and either fix them, or expect them fixed immediately are successful, and if there are enough of us, we affect change so that the 'We'll be ok' people ARE ok, and never get to the point where they have to worry about the problem.

Now Forget Favre, and all others that have bagged on me in this post. 'Are we ok?' Or did we stink it up by being the first 15 win team to lose their first playoff game at home in the history of the NFL?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score

If I'm on an island that's fine, those of you not on my island will only be part of Packer Nation until they go 1-15 again, then you guys will follow some other team because the Packers will suck then and it won't be fashionable anymore.

ERR-ERR (<-------- loud sounding alarm) WRONG! I've been a Packers fan before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye. Please don't place me, and many of these other dedicated fans, into your pool of band-wagoners.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I've been a fan since '81. I was a twinkle in my Daddy's eye in '76. How far back do you go? Infante maybe?

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Then you, as well as I, and I expect some others, haven't just READ about where we came from with this team, you, like I and some others lived it! I really don't want to go back to having no defense, no running game, drafting a punter in the third round, and having to have our quarterback with #12 on his back pass on 1st, 2nd AND 3rd down. All I've been saying in any post is that I'm mad as hell, and as a fan expect things to change before this team hits the toilet.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
And having experienced the roller coaster ride called professional football, I know there is life after "SUCK", be it one game or a whole season of it. Packers fans, in general, support their team regardless of the outcome of the game and anxiously look forward to more favorable outcomes.
BTW...I've been thinking. If you were a twinkle in your dad's eye in 1976, but weren't born until 1981, maybe you're suffering from inherited frustration issues. (j/k on that one. All in fun, all in fun)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Raptorman,

I can say with 99% accuracy the dog thing happened, it might've been Bengston though, NOT Devine. I haven't been able to find out for sure which one though.

Devines dog was killed but it was a farmer that was trying to get it away from his ducks. Per Devine himself.

Rumors circulated that some disgruntled fans or anti-Devine people had shot my dog,” he said in the book. “I honestly don’t believe that was what happened.”
“We weren’t so lucky with another one of our dogs,” Devine continued. “It was only a couple days later, ironically, when the dog wandered over to a nearby farm and began chasing the farmer’s ducks. The farmer, a neighbor who we knew very well, fired a gun at the dog, intending to scare him and get him away from his ducks. Well, the bullet happened to hit the dog and killed him. He had every right to shoot at the dog, and he knew it and I knew it."
http://thewisconsinsportsbar.blogspot.com/2008/08/myth-of-dan-devines-dog.html

TheOnlyMeIKnow said:
I discovered football when I was 4
I discovered football watching Bart Starr playing for Lombardi.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
ThxJack, Where do I start with you? Well with the truth would be a good place to start I guess. It's cause of 'fans' like you that I LEFT last summer… … People like me, see problems ahead of time …
This board is run like many others: You make your reputation by what and how you post. My experience is posters "like you" who brag about winning arguments without making them, who brag about how much they know about football ("I'm a real good judge of linebackers…") without ever presenting the evidence of that knowledge, who brag about "seeing problems ahead of time" flame out in time: They feel the need to brag about themselves because the attributes about which they brag aren't apparent to others. So it doesn't surprise me you "left" last summer from wherever it was you were.

If you don't recognize how good Aaron Rodgers is, and you obviously don't, you don't know that much about football IMO or you are completely blinded by your love for Favre. As for my opinion of your hero: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

This board is run like many others: You make your reputation by what and how you post. My experience is posters "like you" who brag about winning arguments without making them, who brag about how much they know about football ("I'm a real good judge of linebackers…") without ever presenting the evidence of that knowledge, who brag about "seeing problems ahead of time" flame out in time: They feel the need to brag about themselves because the attributes about which they brag aren't apparent to others. So it doesn't surprise me you "left" last summer from wherever it was you were.

Yet you don't even bother with the valid points I made about record, Aaron's QBR and Passer Rating in close games. Is it maybe because you're taking a knife to a gun fight?

You don't deny what I said about 'Bad Aaron' Vs' 'Bad Favre'. Matter of fact you don't even acknowledge it, yet since you can read my posts you can read your own and others, so you know it's there.

You're directly attacking ME! Go ahead, get ya no place cause you'll lose that one, in either one of two ways. It just depends which way I want you to lose.

I threw things out that you either should know, or should be at least looking for like I am. I'm at least TRYING to find these things out about Aaron cause I want to know how right I am or not, I'm not putting on a blindfold when it's mentioned.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Sorry about that last post, I didn't mean to lump my comments in with JackVainisi's. It was merely a lack of knowledge of the proper way to quote him and get my thoughts across.

Buc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh gosh no. I mean there is nothing wrong with having high expectations and all. But, compared to what I have seen with the east coast fanbases? No No No.

You guys are actually the nicest fanbase I have experienced online over many years of being parts of forums.
Buccaneers technically aren't on the East coast. :unsure:

Members online

Latest posts