Are Packer fans as bad as Boston/New York fans?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have we gotten to the point where winning the Super Bowl one year, then winning 15 of 16 games the next year isn't good enough for our fan base? I feel like we're starting sound like the whiny Yankees fans, who cry if they haven't added a championship pennant to the stadium walls in the last 5 years.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Ouch! Sounds like you are describing me. But seriously, there seems to be truth to what you're saying. We, as Packers fans, have a lot to be grateful for and should not take our magnificently successful streak for granted. We have a team that we can, and should, be proud of. Let's wait until they suck before we start to bash the team for falling short. I love my Green Bay Packers! (but I'm still not going to watch the stupid super bowl. Ha ha)

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not true real Packer fan base that's like that. We picked up a bunch bandwagon fans after the Superbowl.

As a packer fan though it was really hard to go from superbowl, with 15-1 record, then to go out like we did. I think that's the hardest part. Not the fact we didn't win the SB, but we went out without a real fight in a game we could have won even with all our bad mistakes.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not true real Packer fan base that's like that. We picked up a bunch bandwagon fans after the Superbowl.

As a packer fan though it was really hard to go from superbowl, with 15-1 record, then to go out like we did. I think that's the hardest part. Not the fact we didn't win the SB, but we went out without a real fight in a game we could have won even with all our bad mistakes.

Basically I agree with this entire post but want to add a little more. When you are a fan or apart of a storied franchise like the Packers you demand greatness. Other organizations don't have the luxury to do this, we do. The OP mentioned the Yankees, they are one of the few sports organizations that can demand greatness and championships from their team as well. Should we get upset if we have a season like we did and don't win the super bowl? Yes. Now does that mean we write hate letters to packers players or coaches or do anything else that is way out of line and stupid. No. I am frustrated with how we ended the season and hope that we can come back next year and win another championship.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's how I feel:
Loved the season.
Hated the playoffs.
Excited for next time they play.

Now if that seems whiny, then so be it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Back in Nov a few made it sound like a given the Pack were going to be in the SB...I tried to tell and remind them not to take the team for granted...

So for me, it wasnt as bad...I didnt have it in my head they were going to the SB...

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think it made us a bit arrogant, I'm not going to lie, and it happens to every fan base that wins the Super Bowl

But things like complaining about other teams running the score up, *****ing about stuff like that, when it does not concern this team at all, that's a little over the edge, cause come on; all teams run the score up, there's nothing wrong with it, even the Packers have run it up a few times.

Even now, yeah we lost and it's disappointing, I am disgusted at the lack of appreciation for the regular season that's getting over shadowed by excuses and *****ing and moaning about losing that game. Yeah we lost, it hurts, it sucks, but have a little appreciation. We DID break a ton of records, we DID win 15 games, we DID have an awesome year :tup: Come on have a little appreciation. Texans fans are disappointed too, but don't think for no instance they aren't giving 2 cheers for finally making the playoffs and giving those die hard fans a deep run in the playoffs.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I would've been ok with us going 18-1 and losing the Superbowl, then I am with 15-2, and making history as the first team to win 15 games and lost their first playoff game AT HOME! So am I like a Yankee fan or Patriots fan? Maybe, that's kinda up to how other people see things and how they view me, which I don't care about. :p

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team have the talent to win it all, so is very dissapointed how things ended for us this season. We miss a chance that not every team have, to win two in a row and im really upset about that, but I dont think im being whiny at all

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you are a fan or apart of a storied franchise like the Packers you demand greatness.
I guess this might drive to the heart of my question. Who says that we are supposed to "demand" greatness. Just because we've experienced it before shouldn't change our mindset. I appreciate their greatness but never demand it. I think that the NY/MA fans "demand" it of their teams.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

We the fans OWN the team. We're the one team that should be able to expect 19-0 every season and raise hell when we don't get it. We're emotionally and financially invested in this team. No other team in sports is. As I said though I could've dealt with a loss in the Superbowl better than an egg being laid in a divisional playoff game after going 15-1.

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We the fans OWN the team. We're the one team that should be able to expect 19-0 every season and raise hell when we don't get it. We're emotionally and financially invested in this team. No other team in sports is. As I said though I could've dealt with a loss in the Superbowl better than an egg being laid in a divisional playoff game after going 15-1.
I'd rather lay an egg in the DR than lose a SB. Better draft pick, an if your not gonna win it all I don't mind losing a week or two earlier.

Listen, the team got complacent. We all saw it starting the week before KC, and it never stopped. No focus on fundamentals, offensively or defensively. Catching, tackling, blocking, running routes and communication were the biggest issues. Not to mention DL and secondary personnel.

KTH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess this might drive to the heart of my question. Who says that we are supposed to "demand" greatness. Just because we've experienced it before shouldn't change our mindset. I appreciate their greatness but never demand it. I think that the NY/MA fans "demand" it of their teams.

We don’t “demand” greatness from the Giants, Knicks or Rangers..but with the Yankees it’s different. We are very aware of our payroll advantage and expect good use of those resources. Also, when a team has won enough you are in a context that it’s championship or bust. That’s how other fans and the media begin to treat you when you set the bar that high.

I’m not talking about death threats, booing, or lack of support. Just severe disappointment with a first round loss and a feeling of it being “unacceptable” seems to be the case given the financial structure of the league, albeit unfair.

Lastly, there is a lot of room between winning it all and losing your first game at home after going 15-1.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Anyone who expects a team to go undefeated every season is ignoring reality. So they lost the first game of the play offs. Big deal.

They also suffered a devastating emotional loss which consumed much of their energy in the 6 days leading up to that game. At the end of the week they were at a viewing and a funeral when most teams would be practicing. If their heads weren't in the game, can anyone honestly blame them? There is a difference between matters of life/death and a game.

Others already mentioned it was only the second loss in 20 some games and it was coming off of a Super Bowl victory. They are a good team and will bounce back.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think that winning has been institutionalized in Green Bay. Since the Favre era started we have alway been in it. We have had off years but there has always been hope and always been winning and now with A-Rod at the helm we can look forward to that for another 10 years or more if were lucky. So yeah, we are spoiled and we expect to win. But never like Yankee or Boston or NE fans. One of the main reasons I became a fan of the Pack was the type of fan the Pack has. If we went into a 20 year skid I would still be as die hard, I would still bleed Green and Gold and I think all the people on this board would do the same. The G stands for Greatness;)

It's kinda funny this thread came up because on my bumper to bumper commute last night I was thinking that if it weren't for Favre, as much as most of us depise him now. Would Lambeau be what it is today? Would the Packers be "America's" team? or would we have continued to languish in the 90's and 2k and been stuck with an old outdated stadium that limited our revenue not to mention low revenue from pro shop sales. This of course would put us in the same catagory as the Bill's. Hmmmmm

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

Anyone who expects a team to go undefeated every season is ignoring reality. So they lost the first game of the play offs. Big deal.

They also suffered a devastating emotional loss which consumed much of their energy in the 6 days leading up to that game. At the end of the week they were at a viewing and a funeral when most teams would be practicing. If their heads weren't in the game, can anyone honestly blame them? There is a difference between matters of life/death and a game.

Others already mentioned it was only the second loss in 20 some games and it was coming off of a Super Bowl victory. They are a good team and will bounce back.

Croak, the emotional loss had NOTHING to do with the team. It was ONE coaches son, and they are PROFESSIONALS they are PAID to play through pain emotional AND physical. I myself in one month had pneumonia, and my brother die. Between this I had to take Semester exams as a Sophomore in High School AND take a standardized test that was REQUIRED for graduation the DAY I put my brother in the ground! I flunked NOTHING! It is disrespectful for ANYONE to use Philbin's son's death. Disrespectful to Philbin, and disrespectful to us who either aren't paid, or were paid MUCH LESS than this bunch of fat cats are paid, and yet succeeded where this team FAILED! This team FAILED!

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

RealCaliforniaChese I agree. Notice we've only had what 2 losing seasons in the last 20? And what one or two others where we were 8-8. The thing is, I had pride in those teams in the 80's when we stunk. Why? EFFORT! We just kept getting beat. THIS TEAM didn't bother to show up for a playoff game!

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess you and me have different mindsets. I enjoy winning and succeeding and want the packers to go 19-0 every single year. I realize that is unrealistic but I want it to happen and want them to make smart decisions to put themselves in position to make that happen. I am upset they lost the way they did but I am not angry and I have been over it since the day after the game.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

YES El Guapo, and on the way to the Superbowl we should be 'Pruning the hedges of many small villages' Not pickin' on ya, I LOVE that movie!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Croak, the emotional loss had NOTHING to do with the team. It was ONE coaches son, and they are PROFESSIONALS they are PAID to play through pain emotional AND physical. I myself in one month had pneumonia, and my brother die. Between this I had to take Semester exams as a Sophomore in High School AND take a standardized test that was REQUIRED for graduation the DAY I put my brother in the ground! I flunked NOTHING! It is disrespectful for ANYONE to use Philbin's son's death. Disrespectful to Philbin, and disrespectful to us who either aren't paid, or were paid MUCH LESS than this bunch of fat cats are paid, and yet succeeded where this team FAILED! This team FAILED!

Yeah, well I guess they aren't super human like you.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Really????

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because you had that experience and did well doesn't mean that everyone else has to.
Death affects everyone differently. Professional or amateur.
Some can grow a thicker skin and deal with it while others cannot.

Since your new here I'll cut you some slack.
We have been discussing if the death of Philbin's son leading up to the playoffs had any effect on the Packers in any way in other threads and posts.
Quite a few of us think it did.
Everything from the preparation, to the coach's absence, to Aaron Rodger's first funeral to the coach being there during the game have all been discussed.
I really cannot find any other excuse or reason why the Packers played so deflated. Especially in Lambeau.
These guys should have been pumped!
But they weren't.
How else can you explain that which can be both plausible and acceptable?

AaronShockley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, Packers fans, don't shy away from it. We demand a successful year. We got it. The reason why there is mumblings this year are for two reasons.

1. Bandwagon fans are taking it too far with threats and outburts on twitter and other media towards players. These aren't the true fans.

2. We got a great year, and so with that comes a level of expectation involving the postseason. 15-1, at this point we expected NFC championship game at least. Superbowl appearance, and possible victory at most. What we got was a Divisional Round game that had a terrible lack of effort and concentration. 8 "officially" dropped balls. Missed tackles, Woodson even talking about the Hail Mary that the our defense, as he put it "didn't even make a play for the ball". That's why real Packers fans are upset.

If we lost to the Giants by 3 in a hard fought game, nobody would be complaining, but it's the way it went down.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Oh gosh no. I mean there is nothing wrong with having high expectations and all. But, compared to what I have seen with the east coast fanbases? No No No.

You guys are actually the nicest fanbase I have experienced online over many years of being parts of forums.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

If EACH of the 45 players had lost a family member or members that week I can understand. It was a COACH'S kid!

Members online

Latest posts