Are NFC bye weeks the kiss of death?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For 4 of the last 5 years now, the NFC Super Bowl team has been a team without a bye week. Is it all chance or is there a legitimate concern that maybe we shouldn't attempt to get a bye next year? Momentum is one thing, but historically, this is clearly an oddity, but a strangely consistent one. I'm not sure what to make of this trend over the last 5 years.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. That was a fluke fumble that killed the Niners tonight. The bye week had nothing to do with it.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No. That was a fluke fumble that killed the Niners tonight. The bye week had nothing to do with it.

How do you figure? Fumbles are part of the game. The niners weren't moving the ball in OT. It's not like if he hadn't fumbled the niners would have won.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Ya its probably just a weird trend. I'm sure at some point down the road there'll be a streak only in the opposite favor for teams with a bye.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Hard to say regarding the thought.

As for the Niners, I have to disagree with that being a "fluke fumble" They were 1 and 12 for 3rd down conversions, and of all the players on that team, the TE, and RB's were catching every single pass, to the point late in the 4th quarter Aikman and Buck said that only 1 wide receiver had caught a pass all day. Their defense did a damn good job, but the offense was doing nothing almost that entire game.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If the Pats lose the SB it's the same for first seeds in the AFC. They have been cursed since 2005.

Look, the team firing on all cylinders come playoff time is the team. I mean granted that they are good enough to begin with too. I don't mean crap like Denver. But, a team like the Giants/2005 Steelers/last years Packers is dangerous.

Members online

Latest posts