AR Retirement Scenario

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happens to our cap if he does retire after this season? I know it's rumors but in a hypothetical scenario, where do we stand?

D

Deleted member 6794

What happens to our cap if he does retire after this season? I know it's rumors but in a hypothetical scenario, where do we stand?

Rodgers retiring after this season will result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against the team's cap in 2023. That's an additional $8.7 million over his cap hit for 2023. The Packers wouldn't be on the hook for any cap space allocated towards him starting in 2024.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have to say that A.R. retirement speculation due to his recent performances .. and perceived non-nonchalance about losing, and burying/over shooting passes to receivers who aren't there -- is premature in my opinion.

Recognizing that there is a growing sector in Packer Nation who would prefer him gone for a bevy of draft picks that will solve all of the Packer Nation dreams well into the next generation ... I say POPPYCOCK ... sorry for being so assertive there, I've settled down again. I think the guy is an unusual individual to be sure - and I think he prefers it that way - and, I was all prepared to suffer through a 2-15 season (if they cheated .... maybe) had he retired ... I'm just sayin' he ain't retiring. ...and, his control issues will disappear IF ... and that's a strong "IF" that thumb issue ever heals. I don't see that happening this year... and yeah, it's the damned thumb - we've seen it once before with Favre ... opposable thumbs are what separate an NFL QB from the primates ... and just TRY throwing an NFL football with an F'd up thumb on your throwing hand.

Now I'll be accused of being an apologist for the strange man who is our QB1 and the reigning NFL MVP who didn't suddenly become inept because he's dating a witch (I mean, they can all be at times, right?).

We've got a bum thumb and a poorly handled offensive line. The lousy receivers was a given before the season started ... but our QB made choices there as well - like not showing up ... still, he ain't going anywhere.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say that A.R. retirement speculation due to his recent performances .. and perceived non-nonchalance about losing, and burying/over shooting passes to receivers who aren't there -- is premature in my opinion.

Recognizing that there is a growing sector in Packer Nation who would prefer him gone for a bevy of draft picks that will solve all of the Packer Nation dreams well into the next generation ... I say POPPYCOCK ... sorry for being so assertive there, I've settled down again. I think the guy is an unusual individual to be sure - and I think he prefers it that way - and, I was all prepared to suffer through a 2-15 season (if they cheated .... maybe) had he retired ... I'm just sayin' he ain't retiring. ...and, his control issues will disappear IF ... and that's a strong "IF" that thumb issue ever heals. I don't see that happening this year... and yeah, it's the damned thumb - we've seen it once before with Favre ... opposable thumbs are what separate an NFL QB from the primates ... and just TRY throwing an NFL football with an F'd up thumb on your throwing hand.

Now I'll be accused of being an apologist for the strange man who is our QB1 and the reigning NFL MVP who didn't suddenly become inept because he's dating a witch (I mean, they can all be at times, right?).

We've got a bum thumb and a poorly handled offensive line. The lousy receivers was a given before the season started ... but our QB made choices there as well - like not showing up ... still, he ain't going anywhere.
Well said weeds, and you're not being an apologist for #12. He's a strange cat, and celebrity will do that to some people. I do think that thumb issue is a big deal. I'm still amazed Favre played through it when his hand swelled up to the size of a large orange. I don't think that will resolve without a lot or rest, meaning post-season.

But Rodgers is trying, and he even lashed out publicly this week. He didn't name players, but just doing that is so out of character for him. So yeah, he's frustrated.

Will he be back next year? I think so and I think Gluten will find a way to shore up a weak receiving group. Beyond that, there's still a lot of talent on the roster, they just aren't playing like it now. The team (and the fans) are not used to losing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said weeds, and you're not being an apologist for #12. He's a strange cat, and celebrity will do that to some people. I do think that thumb issue is a big deal. I'm still amazed Favre played through it when his hand swelled up to the size of a large orange. I don't think that will resolve without a lot or rest, meaning post-season.

But Rodgers is trying, and he even lashed out publicly this week. He didn't name players, but just doing that is so out of character for him. So yeah, he's frustrated.

Will he be back next year? I think so and I think Gluten will find a way to shore up a weak receiving group. Beyond that, there's still a lot of talent on the roster, they just aren't playing like it now. The team (and the fans) are not used to losing.

I also believe 2023 is the last ride year.

The question is how do we construct it to do that though? Jones cannot be kept unless reworked...Amos/Lazard/Tonyan/Reed/Yosh all are guys that have ending contracts that would need signed that I think would take precedent...others like Cobb/Crosby/Nixon/Leavitt/Watkins are guys you may be able to sign back cheap if at all depending on ability or either sides desire...a guy like Barnes also could be resigned cheap no doubt IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The question is how do we construct it to do that though? Jones cannot be kept unless reworked...Amos/Lazard/Tonyan/Reed/Yosh all are guys that have ending contracts that would need signed that I think would take precedent...others like Cobb/Crosby/Nixon/Leavitt/Watkins are guys you may be able to sign back cheap if at all depending on ability or either sides desire...a guy like Barnes also could be resigned cheap no doubt IMO.
Thanks Ty. No matter which way he turns, Gluten has his work cut out for him.

I haven't given up on this season, yet. 10 wins might get a seventh seed - but reality check - 10 wins seems unlikely, is unlikely the way this team is playing.

The only WR candidates I think could make a difference are Jeudy in Denver and Moore from the NYJs. I don't think the Jets will let Moore go easily, but he wants out and eventually he'll get out. The Jets have other talent and don't need a locker room problem. Denver is a more likely trade partner as the Broncos need to get some draft picks back from the disastrous trade for Wilson.

Maybe Chase Claypool from Pittsburgh but I think his attitude is very problematic.

No one expects the Packers to beat the Bills and that includes me. I would like to see them keep it competitive. That may be a pipe dream, but that's usually how the Packers roll - playing up or down to the level of competition.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Ty. No matter which way he turns, Gluten has his work cut out for him.

I haven't given up on this season, yet. 10 wins might get a seventh seed - but reality check - 10 wins seems unlikely, is unlikely the way this team is playing.

The only WR candidates I think could make a difference are Jeudy in Denver and Moore from the NYJs. I don't think the Jets will let Moore go easily, but he wants out and eventually he'll get out. The Jets have other talent and don't need a locker room problem. Denver is a more likely trade partner as the Broncos need to get some draft picks back from the disastrous trade for Wilson.

Maybe Chase Claypool from Pittsburgh but I think his attitude is very problematic.

No one expects the Packers to beat the Bills and that includes me. I would like to see them keep it competitive. That may be a pipe dream, but that's usually how the Packers roll - playing up or down to the level of competition.

Honestly, if you give Aaron a veteran like AJ Green, get Watkins out there healthy and his trusty Cobb healthy to pair with Lazard I think Rodgers may just stop pouting and play - I truly think his main beef has to be centered around Doubs and Amari as I cannot think he is speaking to Lazard and he made it known Watkins was sadly on a snap count.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if you give Aaron a veteran like AJ Green, get Watkins out there healthy and his trusty Cobb healthy to pair with Lazard I think Rodgers may just stop pouting and play - I truly think his main beef has to be centered around Doubs and Amari as I cannot think he is speaking to Lazard and he made it known Watkins was sadly on a snap count.
Yeah that's a good summary. Is there any way they could get AJ Green? It sounds like it would be easier to get Jeudy, but he hasn't produced like a #15 pick.......

And yeah, I think he's fine with Lazard and certainly Cobb. Doubs is going to be a good WR, but he's a rookie and a 4th round pick.

Well we'll know soon. Trading deadline is November 1 and I'm sure Gluten has three phones going at once.

To close, getting a well known WR may still not salvage the season. But I think Rodgers, and certainly us fans, would feel better knowing Gluten gave it a shot. There's a lot invested in this team, too much to not keep trying.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Save the draft pick(s) & sign an aged free agent or 2:. Emmanuel Sanders, Desean Jackson, Will Fuller and/or TY Hilton?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Save the draft pick(s) & sign an aged free agent or 2:. Emmanuel Sanders, Desean Jackson, Will Fuller and/or TY Hilton?
You're probably right. And I'm not convinced that signing Jerry Jeudy or DJ Moore would help that much with the immediate problem - and that seems to be communication. It's not an exaggeration to say that a lot of guys on offense aren't on the same page as Rodgers, and Rodgers runs the show on the field.

And when teams do these trades, the team acquiring draft picks usually ends up better off. Just ask the Broncos' GM......

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's probably just the Rodgers lover in me, but I am starting to tire of all the "be on the same page as Rodgers" talk as it always comes back to seeming like the QB is asking everyone to cater to him when really it's nothing more than doing your ****ing job within the offense. It's that simple.

It's a timing and rhythm offense. Reads are made on the fly and you need to be where you need to be for the QB to make his reads. That throw at Daubs' feet, yeah the throw could have been better. You know what else could have been better? not having our receivers run into each other and mess up the entire timing of the play causing the QB to hesitate and muck up the timing and the flow of the play.

When you have another first down play drawn up and called and it's step, step, step fire for the easy yards and instead you get step, step, step, why are all my receivers in the same spot and which way are they going after this double clutch, poor footwork, throw it's not going to end well.

That's 2 plays drawn up to Daubs that would have resulted in drive extending 1st downs that instead were drive killing plays on 3rd down. So is Rodgers supposed to run the offense or go off script and do his own thing? whichever the moment calls for I suppose and be right every time would be best, but also not very realistic.
We've all seen it, this year in fact still, Rodgers is as good as anybody running this offense and getting the ball out on time and on target, when guys are doing their jobs. It's not like Rodgers is asking something of his receivers any more than any other receiver in any other offense, you have to do your job and they aren't a lot of times.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's probably just the Rodgers lover in me, but I am starting to tire of all the "be on the same page as Rodgers" talk as it always comes back to seeming like the QB is asking everyone to cater to him when really it's nothing more than doing your ****ing job within the offense. It's that simple.

It's a timing and rhythm offense. Reads are made on the fly and you need to be where you need to be for the QB to make his reads. That throw at Daubs' feet, yeah the throw could have been better. You know what else could have been better? not having our receivers run into each other and mess up the entire timing of the play causing the QB to hesitate and muck up the timing and the flow of the play.

When you have another first down play drawn up and called and it's step, step, step fire for the easy yards and instead you get step, step, step, why are all my receivers in the same spot and which way are they going after this double clutch, poor footwork, throw it's not going to end well.

That's 2 plays drawn up to Daubs that would have resulted in drive extending 1st downs that instead were drive killing plays on 3rd down. So is Rodgers supposed to run the offense or go off script and do his own thing? whichever the moment calls for I suppose and be right every time would be best, but also not very realistic.
We've all seen it, this year in fact still, Rodgers is as good as anybody running this offense and getting the ball out on time and on target, when guys are doing their jobs. It's not like Rodgers is asking something of his receivers any more than any other receiver in any other offense, you have to do your job and they aren't a lot of times.
There's nothing to disagree with here. You can dislike "being on the same page" as a cliche, but it amounts to a receiver or receivers being where Rodgers expects them to be. It's the same thing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing to disagree with here. You can dislike "being on the same page" as a cliche, but it amounts to a receiver or receivers being where Rodgers expects them to be. It's the same thing.
It is, but it always seems to be in the context that Rodgers requires something different than is required of every other receiver on every other NFL offense that's based on timing and rhythm.

It's never, " If they sign X, he must come in and learn the offense quickly" it's always, "X has to be able to earn Rodgers' trust" or "get on the same page as Rodgers". Like Rodgers is intentionally keeping them down or uninvolved in the offense when it's usually nothing more than how quickly they do their jobs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is, but it always seems to be in the context that Rodgers requires something different than is required of every other receiver on every other NFL offense that's based on timing and rhythm.

It's never, " If they sign X, he must come in and learn the offense quickly" it's always, "X has to be able to earn Rodgers' trust" or "get on the same page as Rodgers". Like Rodgers is intentionally keeping them down or uninvolved in the offense when it's usually nothing more than how quickly they do their jobs.
I see your point. All of the players need to know the playbook, know the play being called, know how to recognize an audible, and then execute the play. You're right, it's not about getting on the same page as Rodgers, it's about everyone knowing their assignments and executing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think so and I think Gluten will find a way to shore up a weak receiving group.

Unfortunately Gutekunst hasn't done a lot to inspire confidence about him being able to improve a terrible receiving corps.

The Packers better hope Rodgers doesn't retire after the 2023 season as that would result in even more dead money than after this year.

While the Packers could sign DeSean Jackson he's currently on the Ravens' practice squad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts