April 26th Gute Presser

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What takeaways you got?

I am still smiling about this:

“He’s going to be our quarterback for the foreseeable future. We’re excited about the things we’re going to try to accomplish here over the next couple years.”

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't watch these things. 4 minutes in and 3 different reporters asked the same question in 3 different ways and Gute successfully neglected to answer any of them.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What takeaways you got?

I am still smiling about this:

“He’s going to be our quarterback for the foreseeable future. We’re excited about the things we’re going to try to accomplish here over the next couple years.”
Enjoyed it . No real surprises to me. He confirmed some of my suspicions about draft process and our mgmt’s philosophy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Did I hear correctly that they are planning on exercising Alexander’s 5th year option?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some were thinking they would sign him to a new deal to add some years.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think picking up the 5th year option removes any ability for the team and player to continue contract discussions and even signing new one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They can still do that

I don't think picking up the 5th year option removes any ability for the team and player to continue contract discussions and even signing new one.

I fully expect Alexander to be extended before the end of the current season or at least before the start of the 2022 season. The thing is they have to pick up the 5th year in the next week or so or they lose the option so its more of a formality IMO.

I had never heard about it. I know we haven’t done this much if at all in the past.

Going back to the 2011 draft which was the first class to have the option The packers choices were as follows

2011 Derrek Sherrod No
2012 Nick Perry No
2013 Datone Jones no
2014 Ha Ha Clinton Dix yes
2015 Damarious Randal (traded before they had to choose)
2016 Kenny Clark yes
2017 no first round pick
2018 Jaire Alexander yes.

I suspect the next two will be picked up as well

2019 Rashan Gary
2020 Darnell Savage

the last one is up in the air

2021 Jordan Love ?????

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason being that the Packers haven't been particularly successful with picks in the first round.

I would push back against that statement some, but it is subjective to a degree but since 2005 we've drafted:

2005 - Aaron Rodgers
2006 - AJ Hawk
2007 - Justin Harrell
2008 - No pick (Jordy Nelson first pick)
2009 - BJ Raji AND Clay Matthews
2010 - Bryan Bulaga
2011 - Derek Sherrod
2012 - Nick Perry
2013 - Datone Jones
2014 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
2015 - Damarious Randall
2016 - Kenny Clark
2017 - No pick (Kevin King first pick)
2018 - Jaire Alexander
2019 - Rashan Gary AND Darnell Savage
2020 - Jordan Love

That is 16 guys.

1 - zero clue how he turns out (Love)
1 - Injury/Injuries stole any chance at a career (Sherrod)
1 - Injury but IMO 100% BUST pick in Harrell
2 - Randall and Ha-Ha that are NFL starters and have been for some time, but not 1st rounder impact.

The other 11 guys I'd argue were or have been about what one can only hope your 1st rounders are; day to day starters that see a second, some even a 3rd contract with the team they drafted.

1 NFL HOFer, possibly 3 Packer HOFers (Rodgers, Matthews, Bulaga)

Arguably the best young CB in the league, a top 5 young DL in Clark....

I mean arguably we HIT 11 out of 16, or remove the unknown in Love, 11 of 15 (including Sherrod even)...I'd wager a bet that quite impressive when weighed against other organizations in all honesty.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would push back against that statement some, but it is subjective to a degree but since 2005 we've drafted:

2005 - Aaron Rodgers
2006 - AJ Hawk
2007 - Justin Harrell
2008 - No pick (Jordy Nelson first pick)
2009 - BJ Raji AND Clay Matthews
2010 - Bryan Bulaga
2011 - Derek Sherrod
2012 - Nick Perry
2013 - Datone Jones
2014 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
2015 - Damarious Randall
2016 - Kenny Clark
2017 - No pick (Kevin King first pick)
2018 - Jaire Alexander
2019 - Rashan Gary AND Darnell Savage
2020 - Jordan Love

That is 16 guys.

1 - zero clue how he turns out (Love)
1 - Injury/Injuries stole any chance at a career (Sherrod)
1 - Injury but IMO 100% BUST pick in Harrell
2 - Randall and Ha-Ha that are NFL starters and have been for some time, but not 1st rounder impact.

The other 11 guys I'd argue were or have been about what one can only hope your 1st rounders are; day to day starters that see a second, some even a 3rd contract with the team they drafted.

1 NFL HOFer, possibly 3 Packer HOFers (Rodgers, Matthews, Bulaga)

Arguably the best young CB in the league, a top 5 young DL in Clark....

I mean arguably we HIT 11 out of 16, or remove the unknown in Love, 11 of 15 (including Sherrod even)...I'd wager a bet that quite impressive when weighed against other organizations in all honesty.

The discussion was specifically about the fifth year option, which wasn't put into place until the 2011 draft. Therefore there is no point of bringing up first round selections prior to it.

Over the last eight seasons the Packers front office (who a lot of posters defer to when it comes to evaluating moves) has decided that four of their seven first round picks weren't worthy of exercising the fifth year option on. That isn't an impressive track record by any means.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well now the Packers Front office is different than from 2011 and the guy calling the shots is different too. Let's just count his instead.
Jaire Alexander- Hit
Savage- Hit
Gary-hit
Love- we'll see

But zero 5th year options have been exercised on those guys so maybe he's not very good :)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Gary really a hit. I think he will be. I just don't think you can say it just yet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anybody really watching him last year could see that he's a really good football player already. The only thing that knocks him off the trajectory of being a guy that can hold the point and get double digit sacks would be injury at this point. He showed me enough last year, especially the 2nd half.

D

Deleted member 6794

well now the Packers Front office is different than from 2011 and the guy calling the shots is different too. Let's just count his instead.
Jaire Alexander- Hit
Savage- Hit
Gary-hit
Love- we'll see

There's no doubt Gutekunst did a great job selecting Alexander. Gary and Savage seem to perform up to their draft position as well. The selection of Love will take several years to fairly evaluate but at this point should be considered as an utter mistake.

The discussion was about the Packers' overall record regarding fifth year options though.

Members online

Latest posts