1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone here a musician?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Zombieslayer, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the offseason. Not as much to talk about.
    So....

Anyone here a musician? If so, what do you play? Also, what kind of music do you play? What instruments do you have?

I have 2 Ibanez guitars and played in Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, and Punk bands as a lead guitarist.

Anyone else?

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,920
    I create music with body parts, does that count?

Seriously tho..

I never got to learn anything like that, and wish i would have had the chance growing up..

3. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not but alot of my friends can rap. they like to freestyle

4. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to have good language skills to do this.

I've seen freestyle rappers bring their talents to spoken word. There's a lot of overlap there, although traditional spoken word is either read or memorized. Most isn't freestyle.

5. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ya they are average, I can link u if u wanna hear

6. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I use to sing in a band, and have two other projects that I work on when I have some free time.

Unhand- my old band
    I Invented You- the "side project"
    Dinosorcerer- this is what happens after you listen to nothing but Iron Maiden for a week straight.

All of my equipment is mix and matched. I still use the first guitar my parents bought me, even though it's a cheap Fender knock off. It has the best tone out of any guitar I've ever played. I also have an Epiphone, which I got for dirt cheap, but is better than any expensive guitar I've played. I have a Fender cabinet, but didn't like any of the Fender heads, so I use an old Peavy head that's atleast 20 years old. Right now I'm obsessed with my Danelectro distortion pedal. I'm more of a rhythm guitarist, so I don't have a ton of effects pedals. I think I might have a wah and maybe a chorus pedal, but that's about it.

7. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish! Always wanted to play drums.

I've started the Medium level on GTH III if that helps ...

8. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I play guitar. I have an Alvarez acoustic. Here's my baby:

[​IMG]

9. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I play the organ although I havent played in so long. But we do lots of karaoke here which is fun to do, we have the whole set up.

10. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to play in a rock band with friends when I was a teenager, as well as my high school concert and stage band. I have 5 years of bass guitar training. We used to play classic rock and glam metal as well as original material that me and the drummer wrote. I haven't touched my bass in over 10 years. I got an accoustic guitar and keyboards from the girlfriend for Christmas as I continue to write lyrics from time to time when a hook comes to me. My accoustic guitar skills are pretty brutal. I was so much better at reading what a guitar player is playing than trying to duplicate it myself.

Edit:

My bass at home is an old Harmony bass. Not very good, but got the job done. I used to play a Hofner (Paul McCartney special) with the high school band, now that was a great instrument.

My keys are Yamaha and for the life of me I am not sure what my accoutic is. Nothing special, but then again neither is my playing skills at the moment. I'd love to pick up and electric guitar as I find I can play electric a lot better than accoustic if that makes sense. I'd love to get a Gretsch as I really like its sound. Unfortunately a little rich for my blood and talent at the moment.

11. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    always wanted to play the banjo :)

12. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm a drummer / bassist, and play a little guitar and sing.

I have been playing in bands and around towns in the South since I was 14. Have been in several successful bands and am not right now. I miss it dearly!

Drums: A 6 piece Sunburst Tama Starclassic Performer with Ziljian A Custom Cymbals.

Bass: Warwick Basses, Two Hartke 4x10 Speaker cabs, Ampeg pre-amps and poweramps, rack system including compressor, power conditioner, wireless sytem, etc.

Guitar: Just an Ibanez Classical for now.

www.myspace.com/ryandoddmusic - A few things I've done, but not much.

www.myspace.com/alookbeyond - Old band that broke up prematurely. Keeping bands is harder then keeping a crazy girlfriend!!

=)

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You got pics of when you were in a glam band?

14. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Cool stuff Dodd!

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ain't that the truth!
    I'll check out your sites when I get home (at work now).

16. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    believe it or not, i'm a classically trained musician. even got a talent scholarship to college for it. :) i play clarinet, bass clarinet, recorder, & piano. although, it's been YEARS since i've played so maybe i CAN'T actually play anything anymore...lol.

17. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for some myself to add to my facebook account. There's one teen dance we played which was weird as everyone was looking rather 80's with their hair and I had my short doo with my Exploited punk t-shirt and black jeans and highcut Docs. I was also a punk fan and was not too fond of the glam when it became a MTV darling. I was out-voted when it came to song selection. It is one of the reasons why I left. That and I wanted us to concentrate on our own stuff rather than doing covers.

We also had a home video of us playing that is MIA. It included one of our originals songs before we had a singer being sung by the drummer, "Born To Be Wild" (The Cult version) sung by me, and "When The Children Cry" by White Lion sung by our drummer with just an accoustic guitar.

18. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can barely play the radio, but my wife and kids are musically talented.

19. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54

That's awesome. I LOVE the piano, especially when it's a talented lady playing it. Niiice!

20. eap33

eap33 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Guitar and drums. No bands for me, except a small one that never left the practice room in high school. Gibson Les Paul Custom - White with Gold (that's my baby), Ibanez RGX from the late '90's, Kingston Acoustic, and an AXL Badwater SRO.

Back in the day, I played the Oboe... but I doubt anyone's familiar with it. I gave it up a long time ago... you can't look too cool holding an oboe.

21. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks man! Any stuff I have up online is fairly mediocre. Back about 5-6 years ago when I was really motivated, making CD's, and touring and such, either myspace wasn't around, or I had no clue what it was. So none of it is up on the web. Oh well.

22. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    tromads plays a mean skin flute!

23. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You mother....

I play the harmonica actually. I play a mean 'happy birthday' on it.

jerk.

24. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    kidding, kidding.

here's a picture of my baby, it's worth more than my car. lol

[​IMG]

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Me too!!!! But i just don't seem to have the coordination.
    I play the harmonica a little.
    I LOVE to sing though. I come from a musical family. My brother was a self taught guitarist, and had 2 bands. He was REALLY good. He could play electric guitar, and was incredible on an acoustic 12 string.
    I used to do alot of karaoke. One time, my wife and I stopped at a tavern up north, where her Dad used to take us for these HUGE cheeseburgers they had there. The place was packed, and they had karaoke set up. We listened to several people, and my wife said to me "Why don't you go up and show them how it's done?" So i figured, what the heck. I went up and sang one song, and the place, which was quite noisey quited down quickly. When i finished the song, everyone applauded.
    I went back and sat down at my table, and a group of people came over, and a guy said "You're a plant, arn't you?" I had NO idea what he meant. I said "What do you mean, a "plant"? He said, "NO one comes off the street and sings like that! You came with the karaoke guy, didn't you?" He wouldn't believe me when i told him i just came there for the food! Finally, i convinced the guy. He asked me if i would do a request for him, and i went up and sang another song. I didn't even get back to my table, when another person stopped me and asked me to sing a song for them. We ended up staying there till closing time, with my wife and I getting all our food and drinks bought for us! They wouldn't let me leave! It was veteran's day, and the bar owner asked me to sing "I'm proud to be an American" (the Lee Greenwood song) And she dimmed the lights, brought out candles, and everyone sat on the floor in front of the stage. They were passing around bottles of wine, and there wasn't a dry eye in the place (including mine!) It was SO much fun! I sang more songs then i could count!