1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Anyone here a Big Star Trek Fan?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Lunchboxer, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    Im just curious who here loves Star Trek Like I ;)

2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    Certain of the series were OK but many of the episodes were forgettable. The society Roddenberry created was too sterile for my tastes. TOS was fine for its era and actually socially progressive for TV (first televised inter-racial kiss.) I have personally filed that series away into the dustbin of TV history along with such shows as Pete & Grace, Little Rascals, Honeymooners, Captain Kangaroo, and the Adams Family. Fine for their time but nothing more than a curiosity now. TNG started Ok then got too formulaic when the Federation never lost. I preferred DS9 to TNG. Just started watching DS9 from the beginning again on Netflix. The ending of Voyager was three seasons too late. I actually liked Enterprise but thought the 2nd season mission arc was a lot like Voyager and a big mistake as was bringing in some of the races met in the later period shows.
    One question I could never figure out. They always seemed to come down with some exotic virus, yet their transporters had bio-filters to keep the bad bugs off the ship. How come they didn't just transport the sick crewmen and let the transporter filter the bugs out? Also how would rewriting someones genomic code immediately change their appearance? If you exchanged all of my DNA with ostrich DNA, I don't think I'd get feathers far at least for a few days, not seconds.
    When all is considered. I'd much rather watch Babylon5. That future society is much closer to human than the ST utopia.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    umm I liked the last movie and am looking forward to the next one... does that count?

4. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

It was a great movie. JJ Adrams should have directed the Star Wars prequels. Then we wouldn't have to live with the ruining of such a great trilogy.

5. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    And George Lucas should of Directed people to their seats in the theater :giggle::sneaky:

6. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    I dont think ST is sterile. When ToS came out there was alot of racial tension. Gene Roddenberry wanted to create a show that has entire human race working together without prejudice.

Enterprise is ****** crap. Not in cannon with rest of series. TNG is my favorite.

When people had some wierd virus you talking about the ToS or TNG. In an early Season 2 episode of TNG there was a colony making genetic super humans they were so advance that they could fight off ill ness. What happen was the genetic people fought off a simple virus but they mutated and anyone else aged rapidly. The Chief Medial officer at the time Doctor Polanski she was convined that the super kids were not the cause. She convinced Picard to do some experments on a shuttle craft. They beamed one of the kids on a shuttle and the Doctor began work. What happen was they were the cause and she begain aging. I think Data or someone ( I forgot the spefic person) they theorized they could rig the transporter to filter out the virus and it worked.

What im getting at is The Bio Filter i think is filtering out common illnesses. They would have to rig the transporter to speficaly filter out a spefic virus.

7. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

Yes! LOL Straight out of the Plinkett reviews :D

8. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    I love his reivews.

9. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Yeah me too, especially the Star Wars ones, the Phantom Menace review hit everything right on. Never forget leaving the theater so disappointed back in May 1999 when I waited hours to see that junk.

10. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    Yet TOS did have prejudice, especially early. It was usually directed at aliens though. I DID like the episode with the half black, half white aliens. The writing of the show was definitely a product of its times.
    I usually just watch a series based on its own universe and not as another part of the story, especially shows that are a generation apart. I saw Enterprise as a possible bridge across the centuries until the second season really messed it up. Most of the newer ST shows got way too much time travel involved and also a lot of episode resets where the story actually didn't occur in this timeline. It got worse every year. VOY and ENT were rife with this. Hard to follow canon when the viewer no longer knew or cared what was real and what would cease to exist by the end of the show. The newest movie pretty much destroyed the ST canon so they can now create their own stories without having a hew & cry it isn't right.

Kind of thought this would be the answer. I don't recall the episode you noted. I'll look for it.

11. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76

Its Season 2 Episode 7:Unnatural Selection

I liked Voyager to an extent. Janeway was an okay captain. But she got them stranded in the Delta quadrant in the first place.

The newist ST movie its a different timeline. It did not ruin the older series.

12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    It was a kids movie.
    I'm surprised Barney didn't make an appearance.
    Oh dear.
    I just gave George Luca$h an idea when he goes back and tweaks them.

13. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

I don't know if they were kid's movies or not especially when Anakin was killing children in the 3rd one :roflmao::roflmao:

14. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
  15. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I just mean the first one. PM
    You got Jar-Jar.
    Little Anakin.
    C3PO acting even more like a worthless buffoon with even dumber dialog.
    I thought I read somewhere that George wrote PM for his kids or something. I dunno if that was just speculation but it could be true since it is more kid friendly.
    And then they become more adult and dark but don't get any better or anywhere near the level as the very first three.

16. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

Yeah you're right, but what about all the stupid politics in the movie? That's really my biggest issue with the prequels all together. if you sit down and think about it, all the war crap starts over space taxes. LMAO....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Yeah. It does get more complicated with all that senate crap and Trade Federation stuff.
    The only one good thing about PM was Darth Maul and the light saber duel.
    We have a kick butt badd *** and it sucks that he was only in one movie. Little more than a cameo.

Anyway, I just don't bother thinking that those movies exist.
    I just think of it all as being a really bad nightmare that Luke had.