Anyone else ready to see....

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I feel like we will be ok. If only because of the Seahawks game in preseason. The Hawks left a lot of their starters in for a half or 3 quarters while we pulled our starters off the field. We got to Russell Wilson quite a few times and Marshawn didn't look too "beastly." Only after we had 2nd and 3rd tier defenders in did Christine Michael look like the second coming of Barry Sanders.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
You sound as if the Packers are a team who hasn't led the league in wins over the last decade who has no talent with a rookie QB or something.

I had no idea that the Packers won so many games. Nor did I know that they had any talent. And their QB isn't a rookie or something? Gosh.

Ok, change my previous prediction of a loss at SF to a win! Also change my season prediction of a 10-6 record! I am with GoPGo!!! 19-0, baby!

/sarcasm

Sorry, but I don't know why you're so quick to concede defeat when the game is 5 days away.

You don't know why? I suggest you reread my post, in particular the sentence that mentions the home turf, the confidence, and the talent and experience advantage in the trenches. Somewhere in that sentence is where you will find my reasoning.

And a "prediction" is not a "concession", by the way.

Rodgers is going to carve up their secondary like he did last year and our defense is going to be ready with a chip on their shoulder, especially Clay and that's never a good thing for opposing teams.

19-0, baby!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know why? I suggest you reread my post, in particular the sentence that mentions the home turf, the confidence, and the talent and experience advantage in the trenches. Somewhere in that sentence is where you will find my reasoning.

Yes, and I found it faulty. You make no mention of their lack of any real receiving threat other than Davis and to a lesser degree, Boldin. You make no mention of OUR strengths and discount them as insufficient/irrelevant.

19-0, baby!
Nobody said anything about 19-0. Not sure why you're choosing to be ***** about it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, how can you conclude that from my post. You're grasping at straws!
How so? You go on a rant about how worried you are about this team and cite our backup QBs as the reason. Made no sense.

12theTruth

Then he should just retire if that's the case because it's part of football. I don't care how good your line is. Last year SF got a sack every 14.9 pass plays against the rest of their opponents. They only got a sack on us once every 21 pass plays. I think you can give some credit where its due.

Rodgers has one of the quickest releases in the league. Do you think that may have something to do with the lower sack totals? The frequency of sacks per pass plays has many different variables and to provide that statistic and compare it with what is derived from the eye test of watching the 49ers contest last season they don't compute. Why? Because Rodgers was under MUCH duress. McCarthy did as much as he could in the way of play calling to mask the offensive lines deficiencies but in the end being a team without a consistent running threat last year sure didn't help any either!

Harris had a good yard per carry in the playoff game but he ran only 11 times and the 49ers played a defense daring the Packers to run while focusing on limiting the Packers aerial attack. Ultimately the Capers led defense really sabotaged any possibility of a victory for the Packers and if the Packers truly did have a solid offensive line and or any kind of a short yardage running attack they may have although unlikely kept the final score closer than what it became.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sound as if the Packers are a team who hasn't led the league in wins over the last decade who has no talent with a rookie QB or something.

Sorry, but I don't know why you're so quick to concede defeat when the game is 5 days away. Rodgers is going to carve up their secondary like he did last year and our defense is going to be ready with a chip on their shoulder, especially Clay and that's never a good thing for opposing teams.
Honestly there are two factors to look for - Justin Smith and Joe Staley. If both dominate, the Packers are in deep do-do. If these two forces are neutralized, I can see a Green Bay victory.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I feel like we will be ok. If only because of the Seahawks game in preseason. The Hawks left a lot of their starters in for a half or 3 quarters while we pulled our starters off the field. We got to Russell Wilson quite a few times and Marshawn didn't look too "beastly." Only after we had 2nd and 3rd tier defenders in did Christine Michael look like the second coming of Barry Sanders.
I see this assessment as a little bit short. I will tell you why: The Hawks "starters" were in the game, without accounting for an actual game PLAN in place that they will use in the regular season. It was vanilla. Personally I think the NFL needs to shrink the preseason down to 2 games instead of 4. I understand the revenue side of it, though, too.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Which is a GOOD thing because Baktiari is WAY > Newhouse..

WAY better is a stretch.

49ers only sacked him 4 times in 2 games. Our pass protection against them was much better than average for the season.

SFs front 7 against are OL is a bad match-up. I just hope we come up with another good game plan to counter that.

12theTruth

"Significantly better" then.

Too early to say that. I'll withhold judgement until I see him play with the bright lights on for a couple weeks.

He has more upside for certain and hopefully by the end of the season he won't hit the typical rookie wall and become a solid purveyor of protection for the franchise, Mr. Rodgers.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The post made perfect sense. Your summary of it doesn't! What do you need help with understanding?
Okay, here's what happened. Lambeulambo was talking about how the Packers were going to be "unprepared, porous and sloppy." because "If preseason is any indicator he expected to see those things." That's when I said preseason doesn't matter. My statement was in context of what HE said about regular season preparation, etc.

I didn't notice that a different person had jumped in and started carrying the torch in a different direction (you) without making clear they were speaking in a different context. Hence, my comment that your example of Harrell and Coleman somehow related to HIS comment about the team generally being unprepared and sloppy. So disregard.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason has NO relevance to Postseason, and very little to Regular season.

Last Preseason, we lost Bishop for the season....
This Preseason, we've lost Bulaga & DuJuan Harris for the season....

2 things I see as KEY to this season:

#1- this pathetic OL
#2- injury fortunes

12theTruth

Preseason has NO relevance to Postseason, and very little to Regular season.

Last Preseason, we lost Bishop for the season....
This Preseason, we've lost Bulaga & DuJuan Harris for the season....

2 things I see as KEY to this season:

#1- this pathetic OL
#2- injury fortunes

Wins and losses in the preseason absolutely mean nothing toward the regular season. On a whole its hard to derive much about team performance. In the argument that the product you see perform on the field will little resemble what we seen throughout the preseason I do agree.

A couple things I feel we've learned this preseason! The defensive line will be more disruptive due to the reemergence of Jolly and the leap Daniels took from last season. Lacy passes the eye test and just by suiting up will lead to an improvement in the running game. Sure we won't know for certain until the time comes but I'm feeling pretty confident about these two things. Oh yeh and Aaron Rodgers is still a BADDDDD MAN! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Too early to say that. I'll withhold judgement until I see him play with the bright lights on for a couple weeks.

He has more upside for certain and hopefully by the end of the season he won't hit the typical rookie wall and become a solid purveyor of protection for the franchise, Mr. Rodgers.
So far Bak's technique has been better, and he hasn't made many if any mental mistakes. Newhouse has shown both on multiple occasions just in his limited action so far.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too much doom and gloom for this to be a Packers forum. As a Niner fan, of course, I would love to start out the season with a win, but winning the first game of the year is pretty much insignificant in my eyes to your fortunes at the end of the year. I'd glady give up a win to you guys Sunday, in exchange for a playoff win in December. I have a strong feeling, we will see each other again the playoffs so I'm putting very little stock into Sunday's final outcome. Players have to work off rust, new players have to get acclimated to a new environment. Teams have to see how new arrivals will fare in new roles. No team is humming with the precision needed to know whether or not they're truly a contender. Remember the Cardinals last year? Won their first 4 games last year. Everyone was singing their praises. Then they proceeded to lose 7 straight games. I break the season down into 4 game intervals. Your first four games should tell you what you need to work on and improve on so that in your last 4 games , your in a rhythm on both sides of the ball and your hitting your strides as you(hopefully) enter the post-season.

Its going to be a great game and win or lose, I'll get some early returns on some questions and concerns I have about us. I would hope a majority of Packer fans would look at it the same.

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too much doom and gloom for this to be a Packers forum. As a Niner fan, of course, I would love to .....
Look, if all your 1st round offensive linemen had broken legs and torn ACLs, you'd also be a bit gloomy.
Swapping a WR isn't that hard. See Jennings, Driver gone... see Brady always getting new ones.

The OL is critical to everything on offense.

Without wishing for injuries to anyone, I'd love to see how great the Niners run game would be if their first round picked OL also had the busted leg/ACL's.

Iupati, Davis, Staley.... let's test that Niner depth.
All of a sudden Gore would look 35 and Kapernick would start to look more like David Carr and less like RG3.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, if all your 1st round offensive linemen had broken legs and torn ACLs, you'd also be a bit gloomy.
Swapping a WR isn't that hard. See Jennings, Driver gone... see Brady always getting new ones.

Without wishing for injuries to anyone, I'd love to see how great the Niners run game would be if their first round picked OL also had the busted leg/ACL's.

All of a sudden Gore would look 35 and Kapernick would start to look more like David Carr and less like RG3.

Acutually no I wouldn't. I'd look at it as a obstacle. And obstacles are meet to be overcome. You can focus on the injuries and you'd be well within your right but you have to play the hand your dealt. That's the case in life and football. As long as #12 is healthy, you have a shot in ANY game and that's all that matters.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This isn't argument...just curiosity....

....but aren't the Packers injured EVERY YEAR? It seems like every time I come here I have this exact same conversation..."if only we were at full strength" yada yada yada. I'm not saying there is no validity to it...but at some point don't you kinda have to start asking WHY the Packers are always hurt?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
This isn't argument...just curiosity....

....but aren't the Packers injured EVERY YEAR? It seems like every time I come here I have this exact same conversation..."if only we were at full strength" yada yada yada. I'm not saying there is no validity to it...but at some point don't you kinda have to start asking WHY the Packers are always hurt?
Tell me dear sir, how do you prevent ACL injuries, particularly non contact ACL injuries, and Hamstring injuries? How do you prevent a broken leg due to a missed block and a 250 lb LB flying into a planted leg from a blind spot? What exactly causes them? In the end they're just freak injuries and we just have bad luck.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me dear sir, how do you prevent ACL injuries, particularly non contact ACL injuries, and Hamstring injuries? How do you prevent a broken leg due to a missed block and a 250 lb LB flying into a planted leg from a blind spot? What exactly causes them? In the end they're just freak injuries and we just have bad luck.

LOL. Calm down...not making any accusations.

Just sayin...at some point don't you have to look at trainers or something if so many guys are getting hurt? I would.

Niners have been really lucky in this regard...but they are also notorious for stretching prior to games about twice as long as other teams. I have no idea if that is the difference...but you have to wonder don't you?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
LOL. Calm down...not making any accusations.

Just sayin...at some point don't you have to look at trainers or something if so many guys are getting hurt? I would.

Niners have been really lucky in this regard...but they are also notorious for stretching prior to games about twice as long as other teams. I have no idea if that is the difference...but you have to wonder don't you?
We fans have been screaming about the trainers for years. Just check my sig.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think it's the water in Green Bay. It's causing major problems for the athletes in the area. Someone is putting something in the water to mess with the Packers. ;)

Ok, did you see my tinfoil hat?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts