anyone else in Central WI pissed?/??????????????????????????

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOLY FRICKIN JEEEEEEEEEZ WHAWT THE HELL IS THIS **** FROM THE NFL. The game of course tonight is on the NFL network and we who live in central wi was supposed to be able to watch the game. on channel 5 outa green bay. peopole were claling into our local cable company askin if the game was going to be broadcast. all week they are sayin yeah its gona be on. now today they come on and say well now we are not covering it. I HATE THE DAMN PIECE OF CRAP NFL. THEY ARE GOING TO KILL THEMSELFS WITH THERE OWN FRICKIN GREED! every sports bar in the area is full. and theres a lot of pissed off packer fans

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: anyone else in Central WI pissed?/??????????????????????

HOLY FRICKIN JEEEEEEEEEZ WHAWT THE HELL IS THIS **** FROM THE NFL. The game of course tonight is on the NFL network and we who live in central wi was supposed to be able to watch the game. on channel 5 outa green bay. peopole were claling into our local cable company askin if the game was going to be broadcast. all week they are sayin yeah its gona be on. now today they come on and say well now we are not covering it. I HATE THE DAMN PIECE OF CRAP NFL. THEY ARE GOING TO KILL THEMSELFS WITH THERE OWN FRICKIN GREED! every sports bar in the area is full. and theres a lot of pissed off packer fans

Im in North Wis. They usually have a channel cut away to carry a game when the regular channel is not carrying it. I wonder if we are going to have it as well, or will I have to lower myself to go to a bar and watch it. Even my sis out in the boonies has dish network and will see it. She will have to tape it for me. This sucks extremely.

What made them change their minds?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings square off tonight at Lambeau Field in a bitter NFC North rivalry with playoff implications on the line. Countless fans in the western two-thirds of Wisconsin won't be able to see the game on television.

That's because a dispute between the NFL Network, which is airing the game, and local cable companies will leave many fans in the dark.

Viewers in the Green Bay and Milwaukee television markets can watch the game on free TV as usual because they live in what is considered the Packers' home market. WFRV-TV, Channel 5 is carrying the NFL Network broadcast in the Green Bay area.

But Packers backers in the Madison and Wausau TV markets and others who don't have access to the NFL Network via satellite TV — Dish Network and DirecTV — won't see it.

Some fans who are being blacked out are not happy.

"People living anywhere in Wisconsin have the right to view Packer games," a fan from Rhinelander said in an e-mail to the Press-Gazette. "It's inalienable, darn it."

Another Rhinelander e-mailer said: "I will not be held hostage by the NFL and pay to have a satellite dish put in. The NFL can go to the place where the guy with the pitchfork lives."

The dispute between the NFL Network and the cable companies — Time Warner serves most of Wisconsin — comes down to money.

"The NFL Network is looking for $100 million to $140 million a year from Time Warner Cable," said Bill Harke, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable in Kimberly. "They're saying 'Take it or leave it.'"

Time Warner offered to put the NFL Network on a premium-tier channel rather than in its basic cable package but was turned down. Harke said viewers who aren't interested in a football channel shouldn't have to absorb the extra cost on basic cable.

"Put it on a tier where people who want it have the opportunity to get it," Harke said. "It's pretty much a specialty channel."

To which NFL spokesman Seth Palansky responds: "Then why is everyone getting the jewelry channel and 12 other shopping channels on their basic service?"

Palansky said the NFL Network would cost a cable subscriber 70 cents per month.

"We think $8.40 a year is reasonable and most of the people in Wisconsin would be willing to pay that," he said. "We're asking for 2 cents a day for a channel that's year-round dedicated to the most popular sport in the country."

There's no resolution in sight.

Bob Harlan, the Packers' chairman and CEO, feels caught in the middle of a difficult situation and feels badly for the blacked-out fans.

"We certainly understand their frustration and have sympathy for the fact that our loyal fans can't see the game, particularly a division game that means so much," he said.

Not everyone is a loser in this dispute. Sports bar operators who carry games on satellite likely will see an increase in business tonight.

"I can only assume we'll have large crowds," said Erick Singkofer, manager of Buffalo Wild Wings in Wausau. "It may possibly be standing room only."

The Wausau Daily Herald contributed to this report

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just down the road (100 miles) from San Francisco and did not get to see their game against Seattle.

Get to a bar that carries the game. That's what I'm doing. I no longer have the NFL network.

Leaving now to ensure a seat because it will be packed with Packer fans.

NFL can read ratings.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO, this is a cable company issue. They charge you every day for 150 channels you'll never watch but don't want to pay to give you one you will.

Glad I got a dish, and don't care if cable ever picks up the NFL Network.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO, this is a cable company issue. They charge you every day for 150 channels you'll never watch but don't want to pay to give you one you will.

Glad I got a dish, and don't care if cable ever picks up the NFL Network.

Frankly I dont care if we get it neither on our cable.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings square off tonight at Lambeau Field in a bitter NFC North rivalry with playoff implications on the line. Countless fans in the western two-thirds of Wisconsin won't be able to see the game on television.

That's because a dispute between the NFL Network, which is airing the game, and local cable companies will leave many fans in the dark.

Viewers in the Green Bay and Milwaukee television markets can watch the game on free TV as usual because they live in what is considered the Packers' home market. WFRV-TV, Channel 5 is carrying the NFL Network broadcast in the Green Bay area.

But Packers backers in the Madison and Wausau TV markets and others who don't have access to the NFL Network via satellite TV — Dish Network and DirecTV — won't see it.

Some fans who are being blacked out are not happy.

"People living anywhere in Wisconsin have the right to view Packer games," a fan from Rhinelander said in an e-mail to the Press-Gazette. "It's inalienable, darn it."

Another Rhinelander e-mailer said: "I will not be held hostage by the NFL and pay to have a satellite dish put in. The NFL can go to the place where the guy with the pitchfork lives."

The dispute between the NFL Network and the cable companies — Time Warner serves most of Wisconsin — comes down to money.

"The NFL Network is looking for $100 million to $140 million a year from Time Warner Cable," said Bill Harke, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable in Kimberly. "They're saying 'Take it or leave it.'"

Time Warner offered to put the NFL Network on a premium-tier channel rather than in its basic cable package but was turned down. Harke said viewers who aren't interested in a football channel shouldn't have to absorb the extra cost on basic cable.

"Put it on a tier where people who want it have the opportunity to get it," Harke said. "It's pretty much a specialty channel."

To which NFL spokesman Seth Palansky responds: "Then why is everyone getting the jewelry channel and 12 other shopping channels on their basic service?"

Palansky said the NFL Network would cost a cable subscriber 70 cents per month.

"We think $8.40 a year is reasonable and most of the people in Wisconsin would be willing to pay that," he said. "We're asking for 2 cents a day for a channel that's year-round dedicated to the most popular sport in the country."

There's no resolution in sight.

Bob Harlan, the Packers' chairman and CEO, feels caught in the middle of a difficult situation and feels badly for the blacked-out fans.

"We certainly understand their frustration and have sympathy for the fact that our loyal fans can't see the game, particularly a division game that means so much," he said.

Not everyone is a loser in this dispute. Sports bar operators who carry games on satellite likely will see an increase in business tonight.

"I can only assume we'll have large crowds," said Erick Singkofer, manager of Buffalo Wild Wings in Wausau. "It may possibly be standing room only."

The Wausau Daily Herald contributed to this report

I am getting the Golf Channel on my expanded basic and I dont give a rip about golf, and also outdoor and racing channels as well. some other channels I dont mind. I watch the Weather channel a lot though. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts