Anyone else feeling queesy about our depth chart?

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2nd and 3rd string were really awful tonight. I know some will be gone on Sat. but I am wondering if we depth with injuries that happen to every team every year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Pray to whatever deity you wish that we don't see another injury all year on offense. Defense can take a hit or two outside of OLB or S.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Well, I think...:sick: blaaaaa! Sorry it just makes me sick...:sick: blaaaaa! Maybe later if I'm feeling...:sick: blaaaaa!

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that Brandon Smith played his way off of the team, even though he had the INT. The backups did not look like they were playing for a roster spot, to be sure.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
After tonight’s "display" I’m beginning to like the depth at QB. Don’t get me wrong, not the "depth" you're probably thinking of: Young was bad and the best thing you can say about Coleman’s preseason performances is they’ve been inconsistent. So here’s my half-serious suggestion for QB depth after Rodgers: Randal Cobb and then Micah Hyde. The broadcasters tonight were saying how Thompson and McCarthy have a different approach to their final roster – they keep the best 53 regardless of position. Of course that’s nonsense – perhaps they pay less attention to numbers at positions than other teams but of course they can’t purely keep the best 53. But here’s hoping they stick to that "pure" idea at QB. Jettison Young and Coleman and keep two better players at other positions. After all if Rodgers misses significant time we are sunk anyway. May as well keep better 52nd and 53rd players.

Seriously, the Packers are deep at a couple of positions - CBs and perhaps DL - but thin at others like OL.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are the guys who had ticks in the stat sheet tonight:

Young
Coleman
Franklin
Starks
Green
Lacy
Amosa
Ross
White
Walker
Taylor
Bostick
Williams
Johnson
Stoneburner
Mulligan
T. Williams
B. Smith
Powell
Barrington
Lattimore
Francois
Manning
Hyde
Boyd
Palmer
Fulton
Masthay
Daniels
Banjo
Jolly
Means
Miller
Neal
Boykin
Perry
Mulamba

That's 37 names, and of those 37, I would expect close to half of them not to be on the final roster next week, and of those remaining, I count 2 likely starters, one on offense and one on defense.

I know you were talking about 2nd and 3rd stringers, but no I'm not overly concerned. This was still a tryout phase, and again made up largely of guys who will not even play for us this year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Don't forget when Cobb threw a perfect ball to a receiver his first year and it went off the receivers hands... forgot when this happened though
The bears recovered the fumble off Ross's hands during the kickoff and went on to score a play or two later.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
After tonight’s "display" I’m beginning to like the depth at QB. Don’t get me wrong, not the "depth" you're probably thinking of: Young was bad and the best thing you can say about Coleman’s preseason performances is they’ve been inconsistent. So here’s my half-serious suggestion for QB depth after Rodgers: Randal Cobb and then Micah Hyde. The broadcasters tonight were saying how Thompson and McCarthy have a different approach to their final roster – they keep the best 53 regardless of position. Of course that’s nonsense – perhaps they pay less attention to numbers at positions than other teams but of course they can’t purely keep the best 53. But here’s hoping they stick to that "pure" idea at QB. Jettison Young and Coleman and keep two better players at other positions. After all if Rodgers misses significant time we are sunk anyway. May as well keep better 52nd and 53rd players.

Seriously, the Packers are deep at a couple of positions - CBs and perhaps DL - but thin at others like OL.
I hear Lattimore sometimes plays scout QB, and Masthay had a completed "pass" last year

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

PLEASE....PLEASE.....PLEASE Somebody reassure me we can play better than this !!! Get Graham on the phone and offer him his job back. Vince Young sucks ! In the second quarter there was a return by one of their guys in which I counted at least SIX of our players missed completely FFS !! :mad:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
back ups vs back ups = blah

Even if ( and i seriously hope not ) vince young does have to play in regular season, he wont be surrounded by other 2nd or even 3rd string guys. He will be playing with top notch guys. He did much better in pre-season with a better mix of starters on the field. Not to mention, how much time has he had in GB to actually work with the WR's, linemen, RB's etc....? Much less, learn the entire playbook? He will get better, and be a much much much better back up than harrell ever could have been.

I

Well I`m gonna be the first to say this, and it wont be popular either, but I`m seriously beginning to doubt our head coach and his staff now. Mike seems like a nice guy and all, but he seems to lack passion. JMHO

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
PLEASE....PLEASE.....PLEASE Somebody reassure me we can play better than this !!! Get Graham on the phone and offer him his job back. Vince Young sucks ! In the second quarter there was a return by one of their guys in which I counted at least SIX of our players missed completely FFS !! :mad:

What ever it is that you are smoking, please puff puff pass that **** so that we can all enjoy an altered state of mind.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well I`m gonna be the first to say this, and it wont be popular either, but I`m seriously beginning to doubt our head coach and his staff now. Mike seems like a nice guy and all, but he seems to lack passion. JMHO

Dude, it is PRE-SEASON. We are not here to dump 40+ points on the competition......the staff wants to evaluate young players and make the important decisions about who and who not to cut. Pre-season is basically an experiment for the staff and proving grounds for the new guys. Don't worry so much.

I

Dude, it is PRE-SEASON. We are not here to dump 40+ points on the competition......the staff wants to evaluate young players and make the important decisions about who and who not to cut. Pre-season is basically an experiment for the staff and proving grounds for the new guys. Don't worry so much.
Don`t worry ??? THAT scared the crap out of me :eek:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Don`t worry ??? THAT scared the crap out of me :eek:
Dude. Chill. It's just a game. I know how passionate you Brits are about sports, but try to reign it in. There's a reason Beckham moved over here to play. We wanted to see how players performed in certain circumstances, and called the game accordingly, and dared players to play above the x's and o's, not to win. The goal of preseason is not to win. What's going to make this annoying is if we lose any games early the rips are going to be ugly because people are already disgruntled about losing a game we didn't care about winning. As for that terrible OL, most of them are as good as cut. Remember that Young has been out of football for a year, and only on the roster for a few weeks. It's going to take him a few weeks, and if all goes well, he'll never see the field. The poor showing on 3rd down? Bad depth at LB, and a complete liability in a CB who's never really played the position before in Smith. Those weren't our starters. THANK GOD.

ST was deplorable though, in that sense we're screwed. Go ahead and panic about that.

Side note: Passion is not screaming and spitting. I'll take MM over Singletary every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Latest posts