Anyone else concerned about how much we are favored?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been watching all the shows and reading all the websites and the number of talking heads picking us to win is a little worrisome. I'm starting to worry that the fact that the Bears are the underdogs on their own field will cause them to come in with a chip on their shoulders and push them to play their best game of the season. Anyone else a bit uneasy with the overwhelming positive press we're getting this week?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes and no....reason is they did the same thing w/ the Falcons game, everyone picked the Pack (almost everyone) Bears & Packers...neither side needs the "motivation" to play any better...this is for the chance to win the ultimate prize in sports...Packers don't need the hype to win, Bears don't need the "chip on their shoulder" to win...It's going to come down to who wants it more...I think we have more talent then the Bears...James starks needs first downs, he doesn't need massive yards, just get those tough first downs and we will be fine...I'm not worried about the "MOTIVATION" that the media could potentially be giving the BEARS...MIND YOU this is a Packers team that watched their season end in the most heartbreaking way last year...I seriously doubt the Packers will allow that to happen again

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I am very worried, I hate being favored and lord knows the Bears don't need more ammunition for the game. I'm just afraid the positive press may get to the guys' heads since it's so fervent and hard to ignore that they'll think this is going to be a walk in the park. That's what happened in 2007. What's different from 2007, however, is that this time we're the road warriors and we're the 6th seed underdogs, regardless of how heavily favored we are, we came into the playoffs as the scrap team. I just keep telling myself "We're the Giants of 2007," hopefully that sticks.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't scare me at all. This Packers team is a mature and confident team. I hope they keep in mind that this is the Bears team that 1)won our division and 2)tried to keep us out of the playoffs. I like the irony in that, the bears tried to keep us out of the Playoffs only to lose to us in the NFC Championship in Chicago. Go Packers - BRING HOME THE LOMBARDI TROPHY!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look,

We've had the harder road to travel, the Bears have played ONE playoff game...the Packers been traveling into HOSTILE environments in PLAYOFF games with the season on the line every snap...We have a QB playing at a high level...the Bears just played the SEAHAWKS!...Mind you Packers are not overlooking their opponent one bit, they know what must be done to win and in MM I trust him to have the best gameplan of his HC career...I expect Dom Capers to be dialed in on the tendencies of the offense...I am pretty sure based on the experience of these teams against each other, they will notice when there's a dump-off screen to Forte...we just got to play....I DON'T CARE if VEGAS considers us the favorites, so what...WE MUST GET INTO THE SUPERBOWL...I'm pretty sure Packer players don't care about the vegas line...they want the superbowl

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a decent amount of "Experts" picking the Bears to win. There are 3 experts on ESPN who say they expect the Bears to win. While it is slightly worrying, I am not going to think about it too much and I don't think it will affect the outcome of the game at all.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't scare me at all. This Packers team is a mature and confident team. I hope they keep in mind that this is the Bears team that 1)won our division and 2)tried to keep us out of the playoffs. I like the irony in that, the bears tried to keep us out of the Playoffs only to lose to us in the NFC Championship in Chicago. Go Packers - BRING HOME THE LOMBARDI TROPHY!

I keep hearing delusional bandwagon Steelers fans telling me how the Steelers experience outweighs the Packers. Good god and THEY bring up the 6 rings ******** as well. I really do hope we aren't favored if we make it to the superbowl. Why? Because winning it all is gonna be much sweeter.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very worried, I hate being favored and lord knows the Bears don't need more ammunition for the game. I'm just afraid the positive press may get to the guys' heads since it's so fervent and hard to ignore that they'll think this is going to be a walk in the park. That's what happened in 2007. What's different from 2007, however, is that this time we're the road warriors and we're the 6th seed underdogs, regardless of how heavily favored we are, we came into the playoffs as the scrap team. I just keep telling myself "We're the Giants of 2007," hopefully that sticks.

THIS team is not going to think anything is a cake walk

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it has zero effect on the mindset of the Packers as they know the bears won in Chicago earlier this year and week 17 was still a battle. I don't think there will be any sense of accomplishment by being favored and no over confidence issues. Whether or not this fires up the bears anymore.....it shouldn't, but who knows. I think they are actually over confident on offense down there right now. I find their field general to be somewhat arrogant as opposed to confident.

Justanobserver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The spread reflects reality in this case the Packers are the better team!

10+ pts Pack win, game over no latter than the 3rd quarter.

Look at my predictions Monday!:yahoo:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Falcon game the Packers appeared focused on what they needed to do. The locker room was not a wild celebration. Instead they seemed to realize that was only one link in a chain to get them where they want to be. MM has said the toughest thing about coaching is handling success. I think he has a pretty good grasp on that.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching all the shows and reading all the websites and the number of talking heads picking us to win is a little worrisome. I'm starting to worry that the fact that the Bears are the underdogs on their own field will cause them to come in with a chip on their shoulders and push them to play their best game of the season. Anyone else a bit uneasy with the overwhelming positive press we're getting this week?

Nope. I used to get worried about all the hype, but now I realized that if the Packers want to be a great team, they have to be able to handle the hype and win when everyone is picking them to win.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The spread reflects reality in this case the Packers are the better team!

10+ pts Pack win, game over no latter than the 3rd quarter.

Look at my predictions Monday!:yahoo:

Has the game been played yet?

I don't mind confidence, but I hate arrogance.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Falcon game the Packers appeared focused on what they needed to do. The locker room was not a wild celebration. Instead they seemed to realize that was only one link in a chain to get them where they want to be. MM has said the toughest thing about coaching is handling success. I think he has a pretty good grasp on that.

Agreed. In his post game speech he said, "I told you we have to play good for 16 quarters. That was 8. We got 8 more to go."

I seriously doubt the team is over-looking the Bears this weekend, and I don't think Mike McCarthy is letting them.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Interesting McCarthy quote - maybe he learned from being here before:

"I really see no benefit to go back and talk about the pain of '07," Coach McCarthy said. "'07 is a different year, it's a different team, there's different coaches, playing a different opponent, and we're playing in a different location. I'll be a better coach this time, the second time around, and the players that went through that game I fully anticipate them to be better players. But to sit there and compare this game with '07, I don't think it helps us."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting McCarthy quote - maybe he learned from being here before:

"I really see no benefit to go back and talk about the pain of '07," Coach McCarthy said. "'07 is a different year, it's a different team, there's different coaches, playing a different opponent, and we're playing in a different location. I'll be a better coach this time, the second time around, and the players that went through that game I fully anticipate them to be better players. But to sit there and compare this game with '07, I don't think it helps us."

AWESOME quote

Thanks for finding that

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep hearing delusional bandwagon Steelers fans telling me how the Steelers experience outweighs the Packers. Good god and THEY bring up the 6 rings ******** as well. I really do hope we aren't favored if we make it to the superbowl. Why? Because winning it all is gonna be much sweeter.

6 championships? I would tell them thats cute. we have 12.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

prime example of this was how short the post game interview was with Charles Woodson, I've been saying it in various posts...that guy (i'm sure he's not alone) is focused on one goal and one goal only! SUPERBOWL

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very worried, I hate being favored and lord knows the Bears don't need more ammunition for the game. I'm just afraid the positive press may get to the guys' heads since it's so fervent and hard to ignore that they'll think this is going to be a walk in the park. That's what happened in 2007.
That's exactly right. A lot of this game is mental.... it's execution and attitude.

And many times, especially when a game has the players a bit on edge, nervous, so close to the prize, using that underdog, us-vs-the-world attitude helps players gain an edge, calm down, play loose.

It's happened many times... not only the Giants against us, but also against Dallas the week before... remember Dallas was the #1 seed that year and had beaten the Giants twice that season.

I will tell you this and McCarthy better get it across to the players:
The Packers better be prepared for a smash-mouth, physical, punch-them-in-the-mouth, grind-it-out game for 60 minutes.

If any of our players are expecting more crappy soft defense like Atlanta had, or are expecting smooth pass routes, they're going to be in for a rude awakening because the Bears are tough on defense.

How many times has a team been rolling... think the Miami Dolphins with Marino or the Colts with Manning, and then they met a legit great, strong defense.... and all of a sudden the game became not a scoring fast, and they weren't prepared for that type of battle, weren't used to it... had lost too many close games.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Idk, I'm just paranoid, as a Chicagoan, I can't FATHOM having to live down the possibility of giving the Bears a boost into the Super Bowl; the thought alone makes my stomach turn. Just remembering the past few years when the Bears would come in and overtake us and pounce on our vulnerability in the last few minutes of the game... I just don't want them to be taken for granted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts