1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Anybody here have a Slingbox?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by bozz_2006, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I live in Minnesota (the land of nearly no Packer games on regular TV). My dad has NFL Sunday ticket, so i was wondering, if i bought a slingbox, could i watch the packer games from his sattelite on my computer?
    i think the box would have to be at his place, which is fine with me. i'd just leave it with mom and dad. Any insight would be helpful.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Wish I could help Bozz.. never toyed with one. Hmmm I wonder if work will buy one that I test, LOL.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
  4. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Yep.. I will have to tell the Boss I am testing our satellite connect for redundancy.. he doesn't need to know the whole story in the broadcasting the sports channel as well, lol.

5. BadlandsViking

BadlandsViking Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    become a viking fan :D

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    not a possibility Badlands. Can anyone help me out?

7. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Its sad that Minnesota doesn't have its own team, and you have to borrow Wisconsin's. :D

8. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. The Sling Media Slingbox Pro allows you to connect to a satellite receiver, and from the description I'm getting on Amazon.com, it looks like a pretty easy operation. Connect to satellite receiver, use software to watch. Seems like it should work.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I thought he said "Sling Blade!" (One of my favorite movies!) :lol:

10. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Wham-O Sling Shot. Does that count? You should see how far and accurate it can send in the shell Pecans. :shock:

11. BadlandsViking

Ratings:
    +0
    I like them french fried taters mmmmm hmmmmm

[​IMG]

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOLOL!!!
    "Ya got any more of that potted meat???"

13. favre95

favre95 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    "I killed doyle wit a lawn mower blade...I hit em two good whacks wit it. The second near plum cut his head in two."

"The bible says two men should not lay together."

14. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    I know a guy that can imitate him EXACTLY, even gets his face to look the same

15. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    can this guy also tell me if my slingbox idea will work? lol

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979

I don't reckon Mmm

17. BadlandsViking

Ratings:
    +0
    Packer Fans aren't funny haha but funny queer :D

[​IMG]

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    "I don't like the way them Viking fans talk! mmmmmmmm hmmmmm" :lol:

19. favre95

favre95 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Yes...that should work with your dad and the NFL ticket. I have no experience with slingbox....but that is what it is for. In theory it should work.

20. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    yeah. i guess my main concern is that it is supposed to be used for people who are on the road, to access their personal home TV service, not piggy-back on their dad's service, and essential "steal" from the DirecTV. i may go talk to someone at best buy or something. lots of time before next season :sad:

21. favre95

favre95 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Steal...Schmeal. I really don't see it being that big of a concern. If there was...I'm sure the maker of Slingbox would be getting the crap sued out of 'em.

IMHO technology to the consumer finally caught up enough with technology used by the industry. I see it like this. Companies like Sony, who have their hands in the recording industry and the computer industry. Are asking for things like this to happen. Lets say they have Toby Keith signed to their label and make his CDs. But, Sony is also producing CD writers and blank CDs from their electronics division. What do you think the consumer is going to do. Obviously, use that CD writer and blank CDs to make copies of that Toby Keith CD. They(sony) then sue the consumer for using their product "illegaly". When in fact they are pushing the consumer to buy all 3 products. But, when they are used in a certain fashion. They sue the person that bought all 3 of their products. Which in the end, are biting the hand that feeds them.

The technology they produced has caught up with and tied together with an ever growing education the public has for using that technology. Which in the end, has bit the industry in the butt. Serves 'em right. For getting greedy.

I know this is not really what your talking about with the slingbox. But, I think it does relate to this in a certain way. Technology being used in a possible illegal fashion. I see it like this in the end. Screw 'em! No, it is not really the right attitude to have about it. But, I have lost all respect for these companies anymore. I mean...if they are going to produce something like this...what'd they expect? Everyone to play nice?

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    quite true. we'll see what happens!

23. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    I dont know how slingbox works so went to the web site to find more about it

The only thing I would worry about is, what if your dad is watching something else..You would be stuck watching that, or am I wrong?

24. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    correct. but the only thing i would use the slingbox for is to watch the packers. and if the packers are playing, my dad is watching.

my main concern is this. I am doing a year long pastoral internship next year, and will not be able to watch any early Sunday games, because i'll be at church. i have a DVR here, but would need a way to store the game so i could watch it later. So, if my dad DVR'd the game, i could access his DVR and watch it from there. thing is, he doesn't have a DVR right now. but he can upgrade easily enough. and i think he'll do it, if i ask him nicely and pay for the upgrade... and make sure he doesn't have to set it up himself!

25. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979

130$ to buy it, if not more, and the cost of an upgrade for your dad..Talking maybe close to $200.00 when all said and done..Then have to make sure he remembers to dvr it..

not to mention it sort of is illegal, along with the fact your a pastor in training.

I say get the nfl ticket your self, but thats just me

sorry