Any Ty Montgomery news?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the Giants have realized that they made a huge mistake letting him go?

Hindsight is 20/20 - However, I don't think the Giants thought at the time that Victor Cruz would be out this long. Also, Reuben Randle can't stay healthy either it seems. A lot of unforeseen stuff has happened.

If Cruz were healthy, no. I don't think the Giants would have cared about letting Jones go or caring hes putting up the stats he is now with us.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I have found rather comical when James Jones is brought up, some people call him "old" and "on his way out". Maybe he "plays old" to some?? Jones is 1 year older than Jordy at the ripe old age of 31. Maybe this is why Oakland and the Giants gave up on him? They didn't want to have to hire someone to push his wheelchair around the field. I don't know, I will take an "old James Jones" and his ability to catch the ball, run his routes and score points for the price we got him at until that time when he really should be called "old".

Rodgers and Jones just have an excellent rapport together. They always have. Jones knows Rodgers tendencies and vice versa.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, they work well together, I hope he is here on the cheap next year. I just think if he has 10 plus td's and we make a run in the playoffs, some team will offer him more than the Packers will pay. Just an opinion, I'm wrong a lot. The Raiders cut him for money and youth, I don't have an answer for the Giants.

Sky King

Reaction score
Maybe he's the next DD and hangs around for a while. If there's a lesson learned is that somebody is going to get hurt. Sometimes injuries occur disproportionately to a single position the way they have with WRs this year. Who knows what it will be next year.

A team can never have enough good players.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the problem is we have nelson, cobb, adams, and monty. you just cant put guys like these on the bench! jones too for that matter. id like to see him stay. but how?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the problem is we have nelson, cobb, adams, and monty. you just cant put guys like these on the bench! jones too for that matter. id like to see him stay. but how?
Well, right now not a single one of the aforementioned are healthy I'm not worried about having "too many" of any position. The season is long and strange

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, right now not a single one of the aforementioned are healthy I'm not worried about having "too many" of any position. The season is long and strange
It's already been long and strange. Given the "paranormal activity" like curse on the receiving corps, I'm very happy the team went into the bye 6-0. Carolina is shaping up as a must win for home field advantage. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. One was in Seattle. The new one is in Carolina. Although I think this Packers team, even dinged up, is a better team than Cam and Co. We shall see.

D

Deleted member 6794

He put up good numbers last year with a rookie QB, best of all the WR's on the Raiders.
I'm not saying he deserves it, I'm saying teams do dumb things.
At least I don't think he will be on a vet min.

He had a career high in receptions with the Raiders last season but averaged only 9.1 yards per reception. That´s a huge difference to this year´s 20.2.

The Packers were hugely succesful with four and even five receiver sets in 2011 when they had a ton of depth at the position. As others have posted teams can´t never have enough good players.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, but you can get into a situation where our 5 great wrs dont get enough looks, limiting their numbers, and stunting their big pay days. i think adams amd monty will dominate this league (with #12). they ahead or behind a guy with a td a game average?that doesnt account for 1a,

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stupid phone... 1a, and 1b, lacy/starks, and richard rodgers who flat out goes up and gets it. ...so maybe we can have too much tallent.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#12 called for jones to stay when he was offered his last deal here... jones wanted to be da man and gb didnt think so. aftet jones 15td year, he had to go because jones attitude went one way(like "joking they never should have let them go.") and gb went to young cobb, and later adams , janis, monty ...... gb doesnt have a track record of bending away from the plan very often..... unless maybe #12 steps in again and mediates.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis, yes. I'll take a developing player over a guy on his way out in a heartbeat. We have receiver depth enough that we have the great luxury of being able to sit on a guy like Jeff and see how he turns out. And he's been dynamite on special teams.

Abbrederis I'd be less willing to keep over Jones, but like I said, there's no telling how the season plays out. If he shows great aptitude as a return man and some development as a receiver, then yes, I'd take him over Jones too.

We've got maybe 5 more years of great football out of Aaron and need to ensure he has the weapons to get it done over that span. Ditching your young guns for players on the decline is not the way to ensure you've got weapons in the future, imo.

I take issue with the "young guns" and the "on the decline" parts of your comment. Janis and abby have shown to be far from "young guns" and Jones has proven to be far from "on the decline"

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even considering Abby and Janis outperforming JJ this year or even next is crazy. Abby is one big hit away from retirement and has yet to catch a pass in a real game for the Packers. Janis maybe an unpolished gem in some eyes, but in my eyes he was potentially one blown route away from finding himself in the stands selling peanuts. His special teams play and some injuries have kept him relevant. Yes he had a career game (literally, 79 of his career 95 yards, 2 catches of his career 4) last week, but I'm not sold yet.

Yep, I agree with this assessment.

I'd love to love Janis and Abby but like the guy says above ^^^.

Get Jordy back healthy (isn't this sort of a big "if"?), Cobby, Davante, Ty and JJ. Draft a burner (for the future) to provide an outside deep threat.

Six guys.

That should be enough, no?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope he's back for the Carolina game. I'm really liking what I'm seeing from him.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is one of my favorite all time Packers. He's always been a guy that just picked up his lunch pail, put his head down, and went to work. His leaving the Packers was just the normal progression of draft & develop. The going rate for receivers of his caliber was more than TT was willing to spend, as we had other receivers on board and waiting in the wings that could bring the same production for much less money. I was very sad when he left, but I understood it.

Oakland found themselves with a number of promising young receivers they hoped to develop and weren't likely to really contend for at least another year or two so it made sense to cut JJ and work on developing their young talent. They lost some production but were looking long term, big picture.

When it became clear that he wasn't going to start in NY, JJ asked for his release from the Giants as he felt that he could still start somewhere. He asked Coughlin to do him a favor and Coughlin held JJ in high enough regard to grant that favor. It worked out well for JJ and for the Packers.

What happens beyond this year is hard to guess. This is the tough part of draft & develop. It's better to let a guy go too early than too late. TT doesn't miss often in this. Cullen Jenkins and Charles Woodson are the only two examples I can think of off the top of my head that ended up really hurting the team by being let go too early. Emotionally, I hope JJ finishes his career here. "Business" wise, I'll just have to continue to trust in TT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think we all expect way too much out of first and second year players, especially in a very complicated system in GB. Proven vets like JJ are a huge asset to a team with not only the skill set they provide on Sunday, but the examples they set for the younger guys the other 6.9 days of the week.

Montgomery has proven he is a future talent, so it will be interesting to see where this leaves JJ next season. A WR corp of Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Jones, Montgomery would be outstanding. I just hope that both JJ and the Packers can come to an acceptable agreement as to the value each brings to the other.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all expect way too much out of first and second year players, especially in a very complicated system in GB. Proven vets like JJ are a huge asset to a team with not only the skill set they provide on Sunday, but the examples they set for the younger guys the other 6.9 days of the week.

Montgomery has proven he is a future talent, so it will be interesting to see where this leaves JJ next season. A WR corp of Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Jones, Montgomery would be outstanding. I just hope that both JJ and the Packers can come to an acceptable agreement as to the value each brings to the other.

But that group of WRs would severely hinder the development of future superstars like Janis and Abbredaris.

Seriously though, I'd love that group you mentioned and I do think Montgomery (and Adams for that matter) will be future talents but I don't think either one has really proven anything yet.

When it became clear that he wasn't going to start in NY, JJ asked for his release from the Giants as he felt that he could still start somewhere. He asked Coughlin to do him a favor and Coughlin held JJ in high enough regard to grant that favor. It worked out well for JJ and for the Packers.

That's the first I ever heard that spin on it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's the first I ever heard that spin on it.
Me too. This is from an SI article dated Sept. 18th. Jones is talking (of course) :
And to be honest with you, I told Coach Coughlin that I didn't want to be one of those guys who dressed one week, didn't dress another week, especially me going on nine years in the NFL. I wanted to have the opportunity to go somewhere and play and be a part of an offense. "They already had the guys they wanted, so I think it was just out of respect for me to let me go, because I really wasn't going to be a big part of the offense, because they already had their top three guys they wanted, whether I outplayed them or not."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But that group of WRs would severely hinder the development of future superstars like Janis and Abbredaris.

Seriously though, I'd love that group you mentioned and I do think Montgomery (and Adams for that matter) will be future talents but I don't think either one has really proven anything yet.

Not quite ready to anoint either Janis or Abbredaris with the label of future Superstars, because as you say about Adams and Montgomery, neither have really done a thing so far (Abby doesn't even have a regular season catch). I don't buy the theory that having a quality vet hinders the development of the young guys behind him. Yes, young guys need game reps but they have to earn those in practice, pre-season, etc. and learning by watching a good veteran player is invaluable. I think this is one of the key reasons for Aaron Rodgers success, he wasn't rushed into duty and had a lot of time to learn from one of the best.

The injuries at WR this year prove that being 5-6 quality deep at WR is important and the rest of the year will help Janis and Abby prove if either of them are good enough to keep instead of James Jones. IMO, at the right price, JJ is the man.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd read that same SI article, but also heard it "explained" the way that Notso stated on one of the many NFL shows.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that you called Adams and Montgomery future talents but Janis and Abbredaris future superstars. I hope that was in jest.

All of them have potential but Adams and Montgomery are the only ones who have flashed it in games. Potential stars is about as far as I would go

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd read that same SI article, but also heard it "explained" the way that Notso stated on one of the many NFL shows.

For me, the big take-away from it was that Coughlin held JJ in high enough regard to capitulate. Coughlin isn't exactly known for being "player friendly."

any news on monty?...........the Monstster.?

That's the first time I've seen of "The Montster" nickname. I love it! Hopefully it will catch on and be well deserved. Of the current crop of "young gun" receivers, Montgomery is the one I find myself the most excited about. I'm not really sure why, I just have a feeling that he's going to be a lot like Jordy Nelson in that whole "refuse to be denied" thing.

Members online

Latest posts