Any Ty Montgomery news?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think James Jones will be back, much as we love him. Jordy is on the wrong side of 30. Don't think of it as a log jam to be traded out of, think of it as ensuring that as long as we have Rodgers, we have a variety of weapons for him to use.

James Jones is at the stage of his career where big contracts wont be happening anymore. Plus he knows GB is the perfect fit for him. He would stay on the cheap.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very possible. Just remember that, compared to real people, "on the cheap" to these guys is still pretty darned good. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jordy is back healthy, Jones signs for vet min or close, Abby and Janis fight for #6 spot, we have a very solid WR corp top to bottom for 2016. Montgomery will get the reps needed and his time to shine will be a few years down the road.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even think we'll offer him an "on the cheap" deal, tbh. That's one I wouldn't mind being completely wrong about, but it's my gut feeling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't even think we'll offer him an "on the cheap" deal, tbh. That's one I wouldn't mind being completely wrong about, but it's my gut feeling.

If Jones continues on the pace he is on, maintains the chemistry he has with AR AND is willing to sign for near veteran minimum, I am on the opposite side...no way TT doesn't keep him.

Jones is a perfect fit for the Packers and the Packers are a perfect fit for Jones and both sides are now aware of it.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jones continues on the pace he is on, maintains the chemistry he has with AR AND is willing to sign for near veteran minimum, I am on the opposite side...no way TT doesn't keep him.

Jones is a perfect fit for the Packers and the Packers are a perfect fit for Jones and both sides are now aware of it.

Just curious, where do you think he fits on the depth chart with a healthy Jordy and Adams? I think at that point, he's behind Jordy, Adams, Cobb, TyMont, and none of those guys are going anywhere. By regular season next year, maybe behind others as well. So we're committing a roster spot and about a mil to a #5/6 receiver if we bring him back. Abbrederis or Janis is out the door if that's the case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just curious, where do you think he fits on the depth chart with a healthy Jordy and Adams?
He fits where he plays himself to, which could be #3, #4 or #5. My point is, he adds quality depth and experience, just as he has proven this year. A healthy Jordy and Cobb no question are your 1 and 2. If Adams keeps developing he could be the #3, but really......besides potential, what has Adams shown on the field? Don't get me wrong, I like Adams potential but he has 47 catches for 538 yards and 3 touchdowns.

As far as him costing a roster spot....really? You would keep Janis or Abby over a healthy James Jones?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just curious, where do you think he fits on the depth chart with a healthy Jordy and Adams? I think at that point, he's behind Jordy, Adams, Cobb, TyMont, and none of those guys are going anywhere. By regular season next year, maybe behind others as well. So we're committing a roster spot and about a mil to a #5/6 receiver if we bring him back. Abbrederis or Janis is out the door if that's the case.

Jones would for sure be ahead of Montgomery and maybe even of Adams on the depth chart as of now. The Packers could line up in four or even five receiver sets with all WRs currently on the roster being available, something which they haven´t done at all this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m going to say firmly and decisively that I have no idea whether or not Thompson will offer a contract for 2016 or if Jones would play for a near minimum deal. And I hope not to worry about it until several days after the Packers win on ‎February 7, 2016. :D

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
You would keep Janis or Abby over a healthy James Jones?

IMO, Janis = yes, Abby = no.

I read somewhere (Journal/Sentinel, I think) that Jones "would love to finish his career as a Packer" and has been joking with Mike and Ted that he should have been a Packer his whole career. I think he will be back next year.

Then again, it's a long season and a lot can happen.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as him costing a roster spot....really? You would keep Janis or Abby over a healthy James Jones?

Janis, yes. I'll take a developing player over a guy on his way out in a heartbeat. We have receiver depth enough that we have the great luxury of being able to sit on a guy like Jeff and see how he turns out. And he's been dynamite on special teams.

Abbrederis I'd be less willing to keep over Jones, but like I said, there's no telling how the season plays out. If he shows great aptitude as a return man and some development as a receiver, then yes, I'd take him over Jones too.

We've got maybe 5 more years of great football out of Aaron and need to ensure he has the weapons to get it done over that span. Ditching your young guns for players on the decline is not the way to ensure you've got weapons in the future, imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

We've got maybe 5 more years of great football out of Aaron and need to ensure he has the weapons to get it done over that span. Ditching your young guns for players on the decline is not the way to ensure you've got weapons in the future, imo.

I'm all for developing guys but Thompson has to make sure to surround Rodgers with enough weapons to be able to make a run at the Super Bowl in the present as well.

There's no reason to not bring back a veteran who is leading the NFL in TD catches as of now to develop guys who may get it at some point down the road.

That's how a GM deals with a team in rebuilding mode but not with a Super Bowl contender though.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we differ as to what our idea of "enough weapons" would be. Next year, we'll definitely have Jordy, Adam, Cobb, and TyMont in Green and Gold. 100%. To me, that's enough weapons to let ourselves develop some behind them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess we differ as to what our idea of "enough weapons" would be. Next year, we'll definitely have Jordy, Adam, Cobb, and TyMont in Green and Gold. 100%. To me, that's enough weapons to let ourselves develop some behind them.

With Cobb and Montgomery best suited to play in the slot the Packers would once again be a single injury away from not having two true wideouts. I'd rather have Jones come off the bench in that case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even considering Abby and Janis outperforming JJ this year or even next is crazy. Abby is one big hit away from retirement and has yet to catch a pass in a real game for the Packers. Janis maybe an unpolished gem in some eyes, but in my eyes he was potentially one blown route away from finding himself in the stands selling peanuts. His special teams play and some injuries have kept him relevant. Yes he had a career game (literally, 79 of his career 95 yards, 2 catches of his career 4) last week, but I'm not sold yet.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J.J. makes like 500k this year, if you guys think he doesn't get an offer from some team next year with a 5 mil signing bonus, assuming he finishes with double figures in TD's, your fooling yourselves. Teams are desperate, it's good we aren't.
I said 5 as a random number, I'll go 2-6mil.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J.J. makes like 500k this year, if you guys think he doesn't get an offer from some team next year with a 5 mil signing bonus, assuming he finishes with double figures in TD's, your fooling yourselves. Teams are desperate, it's good we aren't.

Hes already done that song and dance though and flopped. Raiders and Giants cut him. He went to Oakland a year removed from a 14 TD season with the Packers.

I think other franchises are beginning to wise up and know that our WR's are system players. There hasn't been many WR's from our team that went elsewhere and tore it up.

Besides, teams desperate for WR's? I don't think so. WR's are easy to come by in today's Football.

D

Deleted member 6794

I said 5 as a random number, I'll go 2-6mil.

I'm not sure a single team will offer Jones any guaranteed money. While he's a perfect fit with Rodgers and the Packers he won't put up numbers even close to this year's with another team.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He put up good numbers last year with a rookie QB, best of all the WR's on the Raiders.
I'm not saying he deserves it, I'm saying teams do dumb things.
At least I don't think he will be on a vet min.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He put up good numbers last year with a rookie QB, best of all the WR's on the Raiders.
I'm not saying he deserves it, I'm saying teams do dumb things.
At least I don't think he will be on a vet min.

You're right, but they thought so much about him that they let him go after a year.

Then he signs with the New York Giants, one of those teams that are desperate for a WR as you stated in another reply here, and the Giants cut him favoring Dwayne Harris, who has primarily been a punt returner for Dallas his entire career and has accomplished next to nothing at the WR position and still hasn't this year.

G

GhostofCurly

You're right, but they thought so much about him that they let him go after a year.

Then he signs with the New York Giants, one of those teams that are desperate for a WR as you stated in another reply here, and the Giants cut him favoring Dwayne Harris, who has primarily been a punt returner for Dallas his entire career and has accomplished next to nothing at the WR position and still hasn't this year.

Do you think the Giants have realized that they made a huge mistake letting him go?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you think the Giants have realized that they made a huge mistake letting him go?

I think more then anything, the Giants wish the WR's they kept were healthy, because they have some good ones. Cutting Jones at the time, probably was a calculated gamble on their part and they lost. But had Jordy not been hurt, we wouldn't even have Jones in this discussion or on our radar.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys forgetting about the draft lol TT loves new talent. This is a business I don't think jones stay I think TT drafts instead of keeping jones on the roaster. jordy/Cobb/Adams/Ty/Janis/abb. I just can't see it but that's just my opinion hehe.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing I have found rather comical when James Jones is brought up, some people call him "old" and "on his way out". Maybe he "plays old" to some?? Jones is 1 year older than Jordy at the ripe old age of 31. Maybe this is why Oakland and the Giants gave up on him? They didn't want to have to hire someone to push his wheelchair around the field. I don't know, I will take an "old James Jones" and his ability to catch the ball, run his routes and score points for the price we got him at until that time when he really should be called "old".

Members online

Latest posts