any one elce missing green?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
pack_in_black said:
dhpackr said:
yes i miss green, if the pack is 14 million under the cap, why couldn't TT sign him?

I can't believe it's only taken you one day AFTER A WIN(!!!!!) to continue the I-hate-TT-he-can't-run-this-team-second-guessfest.

I can't believe that noone else on this forum feels that with 14 million dollars in cap space, TT could not get a offensive weapon on the team. we had enough room to keep green, or get an replacement. the offense looked terrible, but no one else feels we should have done something to improve the offense this off-season.

He signed a 5 year 20 million dollar deal. He's a 30 year old RB who just isn't worth that type of money. They made the right move in letting him go.

HOWEVER I don't think they made the right moves in trying to replace him. I was ok with Green leaving but his replacements are not that good and that's where the Packers screwed up in my opinion.

so after 6 1000 yard seasons as a packer, green was not worth 4 mill a season? are you kidding?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Fuzznuts said:
Thompson could've signed Green to about 4-5 million this year, but he waited because he's cheap. He wanted to see if he could get him cheaper, and he lost him to free agency.

That's how it works. The employee usually goes to the employer who pays more, but if you wait around, someone's probably going to beat you out.

It's amazing some of the excuses and rationalizations that are used around here to cover up Ted Thompson's mistakes.

As the year goes on, you will see that it was a mistake not to sign Green, and not to agressively go after Moss, like Wolf used to, amongst other mistakes like not signing a TE or veteran WR.

I doubt that TT really wanted to bring Green back at any price. His production was down. He is getting older. He has had injuries the last few years.
The same for Moss. He too is 30 and his production has been down since 2003.
Both players had a great 1st week. But the season isn't finished after just one week. They won't do what they did this past Sunday every single week.

and why won't they? what will change?

It is possible for Green to get 73 yards a game. I was thought I read that he had over 100 yards rushing which he did not. However, I do expect him to go down with an injury sometime during the year. (Not that I would wish for him to be hurt. I just expect him to be hurt.)
As for Moss, just how many players had a season where they had 183 yard per game avg? ZERO. Thus I said he will not do that every week.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Do I miss Green? Yes. I liked him a lot. Was he worth the contract? I'm happy he got it, he deserves to be paid nicely, but I don't think he'd have helped the Packers win the game, in which they did without him.

If I remember correctly Green had a tendency to fumble the ball quite often in the first six games of the season.

If we could have gotten him on an incentive laden contract that could have paid him up to even say six million a year, I'd have been down for it. I think his good outweighs his bad, but to blindly give him 4-5 million a year I think was just too risky when we have a zone blocking scheme in place and two decent one cut backs on the roster already.

What we really miss is his pass protection ability and his catching out of the backfield.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not one person on here thinks the offense doesnt need to improve...

the fact is... this offense needs a lot more than Green. I personally believe we have to peices to get better as they play... I dont know what fantasy world you live in dh and fuzz... but you cant go out and by 8 veteran team oriented players to match up with favre and driver with 12.8 million dollars.

would it be nice to still have ahman green, sure. we all liked him, great runner for us. Will he make us miss him with the Texans this season. Hell no. He played against the Chiefs man... the freakin Chiefs. arguably the worst team this year. and he still didnt get 100 yards. HOW DO WE MISS THAT!??!?!?!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I miss Green? Yes. I liked him a lot. Was he worth the contract? I'm happy he got it, he deserves to be paid nicely, but I don't think he'd have helped the Packers win the game, in which they did without him.

If I remember correctly Green had a tendency to fumble the ball quite often in the first six games of the season.

If we could have gotten him on an incentive laden contract that could have paid him up to even say six million a year, I'd have been down for it. I think his good outweighs his bad, but to blindly give him 4-5 million a year I think was just too risky when we have a zone blocking scheme in place and two decent one cut backs on the roster already.

What we really miss is his pass protection ability and his catching out of the backfield.

I would have been okay with a contract like that as well..I just dont think to give him what he got was worth it

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I would have been okay with a contract like that as well..I just dont think to give him what he got was worth it

was it worth it to give green 4 million this season?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
What could have been the outcome if he had stayed?

the play where the the cut back lane was so huge my granny could have ran through, green would have scored instead of b-jack being run down!

IF Green ran at the speed he displayed last year, your Granny could have ran him down.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zero2Cool said:

was it worth it to give green 4 million this season?

sometimes I think you just "skim" over a post..

This is what Zero said, and I said I would have been okay with that..

"If we could have gotten him on an incentive laden contract that could have paid him up to even say six million a year, I'd have been down for it. ...but to blindly give him 4-5 million a year I think was just too risky"

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem was Green got the deal he wanted from a team that knows he's not going to give them four years but cut the deal now to get him. My understanding of how this went down is it was back and forth between the two GM's and when they bit on the four years he was history.

RB's with that many carries become huge IF'S and with him getting hurt both of the last two years a four year deal was an incredible risk.

To answer the question does TT signs him to one year at $4 mil is a no brainer. ONE MORE good year out of him would have been great but with the money out there Houston rolled 'em.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB's with that many carries become huge IF'S and with him getting hurt both of the last two years a four year deal was an incredible risk.
Green was injured the last 3 years.
He only played in 14 games in 2006, 5 games in 2005 and 15 games in 2004. There were other games that he played but was sub par due to injuries. On the other side of the coin, despite injuries, in 2006 and 2004 he still rushed for more than a 1000 yards. But those numbers were less than 2001, 2002 and 2003.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
pack_in_black said:
dhpackr said:
yes i miss green, if the pack is 14 million under the cap, why couldn't TT sign him?

I can't believe it's only taken you one day AFTER A WIN(!!!!!) to continue the I-hate-TT-he-can't-run-this-team-second-guessfest.

I can't believe that noone else on this forum feels that with 14 million dollars in cap space, TT could not get a offensive weapon on the team. we had enough room to keep green, or get an replacement. the offense looked terrible, but no one else feels we should have done something to improve the offense this off-season.

He signed a 5 year 20 million dollar deal. He's a 30 year old RB who just isn't worth that type of money. They made the right move in letting him go.

HOWEVER I don't think they made the right moves in trying to replace him. I was ok with Green leaving but his replacements are not that good and that's where the Packers screwed up in my opinion.

so after 6 1000 yard seasons as a packer, green was not worth 4 mill a season? are you kidding?

After the Packers finished 23rd in the NFL in rushing last year then yes I don't beileve he's worth it. Green is also 30 years old.

Do you believe Edge is worth the money he received last year? He didn't have a run over 18 yards and had just turn 30. Once a RB turns 30 MOST of them decline in production. Not all but most of them do.

A few examples....

Emmitt Smith declined in production.
Eddie George did as well.
Marshall Faulk did.
Priest Holmes

Also last year I believe Ahman Green was one of 20+ running backs to run for 1,000 yards. All he needs to do is average a total of 63 yards rushing a year and he can reach 1,000 yards. He has had only one season where he ran for over 1,500 yards. He also average 4.0 yards per carry last year which was the lowest of those 6 1,000 yard seasons. Ahman Green has been a great Packer but his production was declining and he was not worth a 4 year 20 million dollar contract at his age. I think the packers could've offered him a one year 4 million dollar deal but Green wanted the long term deal and Houston was the only team out there to actually offer him a long term deal so he took it. Can't say I blame him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Let's bump this when Ahman gets hurt.

I'm not out to boast anything about a man getting injured. In fact, I don't like seeing players get injured ever. Out for the game, sure, providing it was a clean hit.

I hope Ahman the best of luck. Heck, I'd be happy if he gets 2,000 yards. That still doesn't change my thoughts on him. Would it have been nice to have that 2k yards? **** yes! But the risk of dishing out that much money for a RB who has been injured the last couple years and is on the wrong side of 30 is just not something I wanna partake in.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
after seeing the run game in week one i really wish we still had green. i think later on in the season we will find out it was a mistake that we let green go. i hope i am proven wrong next week but as of right now i am missing green. in week one green averaged about 4.5 yards per carry.

he was also fun to watch.

I don't miss him too much. He's the third week of the season and I think I read somewhere he's injured again.